SUGGESTIONS FOR THE NEW SITE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
When we move over to vBulletin we will eventually have the opportunity make some changes to the site like new forums and categories and things like that. A lot of people have been posting suggestions so i thought it might be beneficially to start this topic so that we can keep all the suggestions in one place. that way when the time comes to implement new ideas we can just refer to this post and have everything in one place. Please feel free to post your ideas here :)

Some of the suggestions so far have been:

1. A separate forum for just recipes (this might work as sub categories in vBulletin).

2. A forum for places to eat - where we recommend places in our area or maybe a town or two away. We can describe the atmosphere and give a general idea of the price range.

3. A terms and techniques forum.

4. A recipe box.

One just for BBQ & grilling

Camp cooking/cast iron dutch oven

Perhaps you´ll find some ideas at the german version from discusscooking like the "chefkoch.de" (chiefcook) :roll: :roll:

There are so many categories for everyone. Also a Recipe-archive from now 29.000 recipes from all members and also sponsoring concerns

I would love to see an easier way to post pictures and I'm sure a lot of others on this site would too!! We can call it "Posting pictures for dummies..." :LOL: :LOL:

What's vbullein stand for? Thanks in advance.

IMHO, keep it simple, please...if it's not broken don't fix it. Realize it must have taken a great deal of time & effort in revamping this site. Thank you!!! However, I was happy without all the added bells & whistles. IMO, sometimes less is more. Guess I'll get used to it, in time. Noticed too, we must click on a link to see a post in its entirety. Preferred the pic posted instead, as before (as Marge said, more user friendly). Also getting popups on right of screen, as I think norg mentioned.
Still great to be here & see all the dc folks.

At present I would guess that 99.5 % of the forum members are US based or are US personnel/background.

If the new format increases membership, you may find more "international" foodies coming here. It might be an idea to consider future sub forums by country as in e-gullet. That could increase membership and information, while lowering the overall noise level (ie keeping irrelevant or "local" posts out of the main forum).

I would also like to see a section for off topic chat/current events that is NOT part of a jokes forum. I have been caught out more than once by the present mix!

ti.gif
ee.gif

masteraznchefjr said:
i agree lol egullet is too confusing and complex

What is egullet?

Never mind.. I found it. The first post I found
had more swear words than I've heard in a long time.

I don't think I'll be going back.

The suggestion was for possibly national sub forums.

The suggestion was not to make the community into a pale reflection of e gullet. I do not spend much if any time there. I consider it elitist, while I consider that this forum is by and large friendly and helpful.

THAT is the suggestion.

Hope this clarifies matters.

ti.gif
ee.gif

I have to say that, as a 'foreigner', I feel very much in the minority here. 8)

The different style of cooking in many of the posts here is really interesting to read - but I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't cook many of the dishes, particularly as I'm a total eejit about 'conversions' from cup measurements to metric or Imperial :cool: But then again, I don't think many of the Americans here are interested in my Scots/British recipes, either!

I really like the mix here. I like the 'American' style of cooking shown, which appears to be a hotch-potch of different cuisines. Here in Europe we are much more 'European-centric' in our cooking habits - I mean, I cook and eat French, Italian, Spanish, Greek and mid-East food a lot (all relatively 'near' to the UK, and holidays/work time spent in those countries makes me hungry to learn more about 'their' cuisines!)

i am interested in your recipes ishbel, and i think i can speak for many of us here on this (calling audeo!!! come in audeo.). i agree that a more international site would be great (uh oh, something's up. i am agreeing with darkstream way too much today...:) ). in fact, to me, the more of a minority here you are, the more i am interested. you will probably have insights and ideas that are totally new and foreign to me, piqueing my curiosity. the same is true with all of you from rome, paris, norris, london, and other wild untamed places of my imagination...

the differenter you are, the more you have to offer my mundane existence.

buckytom said:
i am interested in your recipes ishbel, and i think i can speak for many of us here on this (calling audeo!!! come in audeo.). i agree that a more international site would be great (uh oh, something's up. i am agreeing with darkstream way too much today...:) ). in fact, to me, the more of a minority here you are, the more i am interested. you will probably have insights and ideas that are totally new and foreign to me, piqueing my curiosity. the same is true with all of you from rome, paris, norris, london, and other wild untamed places of my imagination...

the differenter you are, the more you have to offer my mundane existence.

BuckyTom
I hope you don't think I was fishing for compliments here?!!!

I don't feel in the least unwelcome here, and wouldn't want anyone to think I was harbouring such feelings - but, very few people seem to read my recipes, never mind comment upon them!!! (Not you, Alix, Audeo and a couple of others - I KNOW you have read and commented!) Dif'rnt strokes for dif'rnt folks might be an appropriate Americanism to use here?:LOL:

PS - In your list of exotic places you list one I've never heard of: where's Norris? :p 8)

Back
Top Bottom