Sunday dinner - 10/22/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Swordfish on the grill, leftover potato salad with a Dijon mustard vinaigrette dressing and green salad. I splash a little soy sauce on the swordfish steaks and add some minced garlic about 45 minutes before they hit the grill. I follow the Canadian method, which is 10 minutes per inch of thickness at 450 F. I'll check them a little short of the estimated cooking time to make sure they are just cooked through.

Meatball subs with provolone and Parm reg. Deep fried tater tots. Beer. Apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

I haven't decided yet. I'm wrapped up in NFL North football. My Steelers are ahead on the Bengals, the Ravens lost, and so did the Browns. I feel bad about the Browns loss in overtime. They are no threat to my Steelers, so I was hoping the Browns would win one they fought hard for.

I'm thinking possibly a ribeye steak, with some leftover sausage black beans from yesterday.

CD

Last edited:
I had some oyster and shiitake mushrooms to use up before they went bad, so I made a soup starting with Tom Yum soup base, then added the mushrooms, some broccoli florets, and leftover grilled chicken that I cubed. Also, I added lime juice, minced garlic,and rice vinegar.

It smells delicious. Just waiting on the good critics to get home.

It was a good sports weekend for me. Steelers won, Frogs are ranked #4 in NCAA Football, and the Astros are in the World Series. I'm not an Astros fan, but there are a lot of people in Houston who lost everything to Harvey, and a World Series will be a good distraction from the day-to-day crap they are dealing with.

So I am rewarding myself for playing absolutely no part in these successes with some USDA Prime ribeye steak.

CD

Red Gravy, ravioli, w/ sausage & meatball's, (beef & elk)
39817-albums371-picture7155.jpg

Actually, I didn't use 40 cloves even though the dish calls for it..I got tired peeling the cloves so I only used about 20..so, according to the recipe, you are right.....
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic Recipe | Nigella Lawson | Food Network

In the fall, now, when the garlic is sold off and all I have left are cooking and seed garlic, I break them up, and save the big garlic cloves for seed and plant it, and the rest I use to cook. I put about a quart of garlic cloves into boiling water for 1 minute, then into cold water. Then it peels faster, without a knife and with my hands. After I do a couple quarts, I mix them with butter and olive oil, whole, or chopped, or sliced, then freeze them in small containers or flattened zip lock bags for the year. My hands usually are quite irritated afterwards and my hands peel a little.

I enjoy having the garlic cook-ready. It is not quite the same as fresh garlic, no doubt, but it is good!

Tonight we are baking up big steak fries in the oven, pasta salad, leftover green tomato casserole with some choriso. Almost everything is leftovers.

I made a sauce with onions, garlic, asparagus, a couple big slices of tomato, diced, Marconi peppers from the garden and a jar of pasta sauce, served over campanelle pasta. And toasted homemade bread.
1022172006b.jpg

I decided to use the last 3 petite sirloins steaks I have before they die in the freezer. I'll slice them and mix them with the mesquite mix and after slow baking them in the oven for about 90 minutes, I'll have them on tortillas again with onion, cheese, and sour cream.

...I feel bad about the Browns loss in overtime. They are no threat to my Steelers, so I was hoping the Browns would win one they fought hard for...
It's officially official: the Clowns Browns have jumped the shark.:ermm: You know you're doomed when a Steeler fan starts to feel sympathy for the enemy. ~ They did suck a little less today, Casey, I'll give you that. ~ Go Buckeyes! :)

I make chicken broth soup with chickpeas, tomatoes, farro, and spinach. We had that with shrimp po-boy sandwiches. Enough leftover soup for a starter tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20171022_222359.jpg
    20171022_222359.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 307
I decided to use the last 3 petite sirloins steaks I have before they die in the freezer. I'll slice them and mix them with the mesquite mix and after slow baking them in the oven for about 90 minutes, I'll have them on tortillas again with onion, cheese, and sour cream.

Those petite sirloins are great for Palomilla steak. It is a very popular Cuban dish. Serve with black beans and rice or yucca con mojo with tostones or maduros.:yum:

It's officially official: the Clowns Browns have jumped the shark.:ermm: You know you're doomed when a Steeler fan starts to feel sympathy for the enemy. ~ They did suck a little less today, Casey, I'll give you that. ~ Go Buckeyes! :)..

Did I miss something? On my TV the Bengals played the Steelers and the Browns played the Titans.

Mom wanted oatmeal so I fixed her peaches & cream oatmeal, and I had the new pumpkin spice oatmeal along with some pumpkin spice Greek yogurt.

Did I miss something? On my TV the Bengals played the Steelers and the Browns played the Titans.
I watch play-by-play on my tablet, using the "Yahoo Sports" app. CBS did show the end of regulation and OT when the previously scheduled game ended. My comment was more an observation on the end score, but a loss IS a loss. IMO, the Browns played better those three years they weren't around. :mrgreen:

BTW, sometimes the Providence stations play different games than the Boston ones. Not this weekend, though.

Yes, that is correct. The Browns took their game into overtime, and then lost. The Steelers beat the Bengals.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom