Sunday Dinner - 3/26/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Heading over to daughter and SIL's for dinner, but I'm taking it over (much easier with the grandtoddler). I have some bone-in skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker (wine and tomato braised chicken). I'll be making a batch of fresh pappardelle shortly. Steamed asparagus on the side, along with a baby spinach salad. Also have a baguette I picked up at the bakery this morning.

I picked up some applewood smoked bacon at the butcher counter this morning. Really strong smoke smell when I unwrapped the package, so I'm only using one slice so as not to overpower the chicken. The bacon slices were fairly thick, too.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252354/wine-tomato-braised-chicken/[/FONT]

Last edited:
Have a nice little NY strip. I'll see if I can flambée the kitchen again. Pan lid will be at the ready.

The mojo (fresh squeezed sour orange based) marinaded pork shoulder has been in the oven since 8:30 AM. Started it at 500F for a few minutes, then lowered to 225F. It should be ready to pull out around 4:30 to rest. Sides will be fresh plantains, sliced thin and deep fried, lime mojo for the pork and plantain chips with Cuban style black beans and rice.

I have a London broil marinating in Italian dressing made with red wine vinegar and some asparagus hanging out in the fridge. I'll sear the beef in the cast iron skillet and roast the asparagus in the toaster oven. I also have one big red potato; I'll probably "bake" it in the microwave.

Cold, gloomy, damp weather just cries out for soup. I'm making a small pot with Italian sausage, cannellini beans, and escarole. Was going to make another loaf of French bread - decided there might be enough left of the previous loaf to keep Himself happy. If not, tough darts. :LOL:

Coney dogs, homemade chili sauce ( no beans) and baked frozen tater tots with salsa and sour cream. NCAA basketball on the tv.

I'm doing a cheater version of Craig's authentic Cuban dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

In a skillet, I browned some thick slabs of boneless pork shoulder, poured 1/2 bottle of Goya's Mojo over them, covered and stuck in the oven at 275 degrees for as long as it takes.

Wish I had some plantains, but I don't. SC will make some glorified salads, and I'll make him some black beans and rice.

Dinner as noted in Craig's post from Norman Van Aken.

picture.php

The mojo (fresh squeezed sour orange based) marinaded pork shoulder has been in the oven since 8:30 AM. Started it at 500F for a few minutes, then lowered to 225F. It should be ready to pull out around 4:30 to rest. Sides will be fresh plantains, sliced thin and deep fried, lime mojo for the pork and plantain chips with Cuban style black beans and rice.

Great meal. It takes me back to Puerto Rico.

Have you tried cutting the plantains about a half inch thick, par frying them, and then smashing them flat with a soup can before finishing the deep fry? Nice and crispy chips.

Cuban sandwiches tomorrow?

CD

Last edited:
I'm going to fry up some "wangs" as they say down here. I have some nice asparagus, too, but not sure if I'll cook them tonight.

I was going to grill the wings, but I can hear thunder rumbling in the distance. There are some scattered strong storms in the area, and my smoking grill will attract them almost as well as a trailer park.

BTW, do you folks prefer "skinny" asparagus, or the "Fat" asparagus available later in the season? I like the skinny ones.

CD

Great meal. It takes me back to Puerto Rico.

Have you tried cutting the plantains about a half inch thick, par frying them, and then smashing them flat with a soup can before finishing the deep fry? Nice and crispy chips.

Cuban sandwiches tomorrow?

CD

Craig is okay with either tostones or the chips and dip. I prefer the chips and dip or letting them ripen and having maduros.

Sammies at some point. We actually had some either last week or week before.

Skinny asparagus for us. We like to grill them in a grill pan with olive oil and S and P, then bundle 3 or 4 together and wrap with prosciutto, then drizzle a vinaigrette made with lemon juice and shave some patm over as part of an antipasto.

Last edited:
As I often do I shopped Von's manager's specials and found two seasoned pork chops for about $2.25 (50% off) almost a pound total. That's cheep! :) A pound is just too much for me so I'm baking one 425 degrees 20 minutes, flip then 5 more minutes, serve. They came with two pats of seasoned butter... I'm not a big fan of supermarket seasoned meats but I'm frugal. At about $1.20 for a 7 oz. serving that's a good price for the dinner's protein.

I'm steaming some rice and planning to nuke some frozen Brussel's sprouts to finish my menu. I'll admit it's not gourmet but it will be healthful, a good serving size, and cure my problem of what to eat for dinner.

I just flipped the pork and it looks better than I expected. 5 minutes to dinner time!

As I often do I shopped Von's manager's specials and found two seasoned pork chops for about $2.25 (50% off) almost a pound total. That's cheep! :) A pound is just too much for me so I'm baking one 425 degrees 20 minutes, flip then 5 more minutes, serve. They came with two pats of seasoned butter... I'm not a big fan of supermarket seasoned meats but I'm frugal. At about $1.20 for a 7 oz. serving that's a good price for the dinner's protein.

I'm steaming some rice and planning to nuke some frozen Brussel's sprouts to finish my menu. I'll admit it's not gourmet but it will be healthful, a good serving size, and cure my problem of what to eat for dinner.

I just flipped the pork and it looks better than I expected. 5 minutes to dinner time!

I always check the Manager's Special case at Kroger. I've never bought the pre-seasoned meats, and only score about one out of three times, but I've gotten some good stuff for cheap, on occasion.

CD

Back
Top Bottom