Sunday Dinner - 8/28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Red Meat Sunday ;
Stove-top beef Tenderloin, Mashed with
Onion Gravy, Veggie Blend, Stewed Tomatoes,
Yellow corn, Cut Okra...

Beef Tenderloin 8-28-22.jpg

We have lots of leftover appetizers from yesterday. Had them for lunch today and will have them again for dinner tonight. Good thing we like them.

Ribeyes getting prepped for the grill ??

Attachments

• E769DE35-5074-4B4A-8803-2BD9EAB54316.jpg
    E769DE35-5074-4B4A-8803-2BD9EAB54316.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 15
Tonight I made a supper salad. I chopped up some Boston and Romaine lettuce, celery, cauliflower, and scallions, then shredded some carrot into it. That was on the table along with sliced hard steamed eggs, crumbled Feta, pieces of leftover kofta kebab, toasted pumpkin seeds, radishes, capers, snow peas, and ranchoid dressing. The kofta kebab didn't really work well with this. The rest was yummy.

Salad with eggs, feta, and kofta kebab.jpg Salad with eggs, feta, and kofta kebab2.jpg

String bean and tofu stir fry ( kind of), Hot and Sour soup and Szechuan Potatoes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 8.48.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 8.48.25 PM.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 8.48.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 8.48.15 PM.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 8.48.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 8.48.08 PM.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 12
I learned of this dish from my son who has been in China for the past 3 years. He said I had to try it. Im not sure its exactly what he had, but sounded similar to what he described. The only changes I made were , I left the heat out ( my wife doesnt like spicy, so no chili's or hot pepper). I substituted in some regular red pepper so Id still have a hint of pepper flavor. I also doubled the liquid ingredients ( Soy sauce, vinegar, stock and also sugar. It seemed like my potatoes may have been larger than what the recipe expected, so wanted to stretch the sauce a bit. I also had to adjust the salt at the end.

The potatoes are cooked, yet still have a little firmness to them.

https://thewoksoflife.com/sichuan-stir-fried-potatoes/

I finished a couple of leftovers today, plus I made that guacamole, which I had 2 batches of, but left about a third of it, in case a friend comes over that likes it. He just got back from vacation, so I don't even know if he's coming, but then, I don't mind eating more of it.

We cooked chicken cutlets seasoned with Penzeys Greek seasoning and slices of watermelon on the stovetop grill pan. I made garden salads and we had leftover potato salad with a vinaigrette dressing alongside.
20220828_200954.jpg

Dinner last night was hot dog curls, strawberries, and watermelon cubes.

hot_dogs_082822_img_9995-jpg.52315

I learned of this dish from my son who has been in China for the past 3 years. He said I had to try it. Im not sure its exactly what he had, but sounded similar to what he described. The only changes I made were , I left the heat out ( my wife doesnt like spicy, so no chili's or hot pepper). I substituted in some regular red pepper so Id still have a hint of pepper flavor. I also doubled the liquid ingredients ( Soy sauce, vinegar, stock and also sugar. It seemed like my potatoes may have been larger than what the recipe expected, so wanted to stretch the sauce a bit. I also had to adjust the salt at the end.

The potatoes are cooked, yet still have a little firmness to them.

https://thewoksoflife.com/sichuan-stir-fried-potatoes/

Thank you. This looks and sounds like a dish that we have enjoyed at our favourite "hole in the wall" Chinese resto. I have saved it to Copy Me That.

Do you find that the Sichuan peppercorns add much?

I just spent an hour or two checking out that site. Interesting stuff. Do you use other recipes from that site?

We grilled.

Sliders with homemade buns, homemade potato salad and coleslaw from a bag. Kabobs of assorted colored peppers too.

I've even asked a couple of bloggers but have never gotten an answer.

There are two types of sichuan peppers - red (or sort of black) and green (defidently green). They have different flavours, one is sort of perfumey and the other more spicy.

I've had both, and still have some in one of my grinders.

All recipes that I've seen have never specified which sichuan pepper they use. I will assume the black/red ones are being used but still... would really like to know.

I've even asked a couple of bloggers but have never gotten an answer.

There are two types of sichuan peppers - red (or sort of black) and green (defidently green). They have different flavours, one is sort of perfumey and the other more spicy.

I've had both, and still have some in one of my grinders.

All recipes that I've seen have never specified which sichuan pepper they use. I will assume the black/red ones are being used but still... would really like to know.

I just read about that today. I think it's chef's choice. Here's an article about the difference. https://thewoksoflife.com/green-sichuan-peppercorns/

Thanks for the link taxy. Woks of Life are one o the bloggers I did ask, probably way before that article was written actually. So, if my query help to push the article then I'm flattered. (yah, yah, I know... NOT, :LOL:)

At any rate, I did not get a direct answer and somehow I missed that article but looks like it came up in a rather busy time for me.

I bought the bags at the Asian store we went to. It was after several visits and always asking for them but I was constantly led to regular black peppercorns. One day while I was in there I found the oils. No English or French on them but the labels were clearly of the peppercorns, one red the other green. So found the oils before the actual peppercorns. Ain't life bizarre?

Back
Top Bottom