Sunday dinner, January 8, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Open face sandwiches with last of prime rib from Christmas, purchased and then doctored up gravy on top of garlic Texas toast, green beans, and smashed roasted Yukon gold potatoes.
20230108_175043.jpg

Took a filet roast out of the freezer. It was really just a part of the roast that was too much for last time...anyway, roasting that along with pan roasted asparagus and a rice pilaf. Probably garlic toast too. At least, that's the plan. Still early here in PNW.

So far, doesn't sound like anyone really wants to cook tonight.
Think the wine is winning over cooking at this place.

Anyone want to hop on the plane with me and head for PNW?
Filet sounds good.

I sous vide a couple burgers to 124F (pretty rare). That gave me some leeway when I put them on the griddle to brown them. Melted Jarlsburg, sauteed mushrooms, Peter Luger sauce. Toasted brioche bun. Beautifully pink and juicy.

Stir fried (steamed) veggies with brown basmati rice and stir fry sauce. Black bean brownies.

I cooked! We started with loaded garden salads. The main event was smoked pork chops from our favorite non-Amish butcher in Amish Country. Sides were my famous Brussels sprouts casserole, and nuked potatoes. I took the jacket off of mine because it was showing a bit of green.
20230108_205834.jpg

Not sure if you've seen the white plates yet. Stopped at Target for cleaning supplies last week. On the way back to the registers, I spied these plates down an aisle. $3 each? Yes, please.

I was getting a craving for Indian food, so I made a one dish meal with a sambar, which I made with a large onion, bell pepper, carrot, and some rehydrated eggplants, plus about a tb of minced garlic. I already had the sambar masala ready, which I used about 3 tb of, along with 2 tb tamarind. I used 3 different dals, plus 1/2 c whole oats, instead of serving on rice. I also ate one of those WW bread sticks with it, that I made today - something I often eat instead of flatbreads, if I have them.
Starting to cook the veggies together for the sambar mix, adding a little tamarind at the end. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooking the sambar masala with the veggies, briefly before adding the eggplant, water, salt, oats, and 3 dal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tarka added to the sambar, for tempering. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished sambar, with a couple bread sticks, instead flatbread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Is that a bowl of sweet and sour red cabbage I see too?
Oh yes! Every meal has to have this side salad. I mean every meal. Either stew, beans, pot roast. It's like I can't properly eat without a side salad. It's just sweet red cabbage with a dressing of vinegar, sunflower oil and salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom