Sunday, January 15, 2023, what are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Chicken and dumplings with skin cracklings sprinkled on top.
20230115_175309.jpg

We had the meal I had wanted to make yesterday. It was frikadeller, fingerling potatoes, salad (young chard, sorrel, Boston lettuce, red cabbage, carrot, and shaved red onion) with my batch vinaigrette, and pickled beets. I cheated on the pickled beets. I used a quick recipe and I used canned, sliced beets. It worked very well. We had been craving frikadeller. We had Carlsberg Pilsner with that.

Frikadeller, potatoes, salad, and pickled beets 2.jpg
Frikadeller, potatoes, salad, and pickled beets.jpg

I had a salad earlier, then I made some mushroom barley soup this evening, with some cremini, and some dried boletus mushrooms - where most of that brown color comes from. Started in the Instant Pot with a chopped onion, sautéed until slightly browned in olive oil, followed by some minced garlic, red miso, and some tomato paste, cooked another minute, adding the soaking water and minced boletus, plus a tsp of minced fresh rosemary, and a tsp of dried Syrian oregano (my way of adding thyme flavor), and cooked that down to a sizzle, then added 5 c water, and 2/3 c pearl barley. Adjusted salt (didn't need a lot), then was cooked on high pressure 25 min, and pressure released naturally.

While cooking, I got the creminis cleaned, quartered, steamed, then when the small amount of water evaporates, a couple tsp of oil is added, and they are browned in that oil, and set aside. I harvested a generous 2 c each of mizuna and arugula, once chopped up, and set aside.

When the IP was opened, the creminis and greens were added to the pot, plus 1/3 c split moong dal, with hulls still attached, and simmered another 25 min, not under pressure. Corrected the seasonings, then served it with a little freshly grated parmesan.
mushroom barley soup, with some chopped up greens. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom