Sunday Supper. 4/8/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now for the dinner part :)

I actually decided to make Huli Huli chicken tonight.*

Bought a whole chicken, cut it in fours

AtTeUmH.jpg

For the marinade/sauce I use*
DE6pRcN.jpg

going to sous vide it for 2 hours at 140F*

zsMiF0a.jpg

FYlMfhe.jpg

and then hit it on top of hot mesquite coals

will be back in 2 hours with photo updates *

Now for the dinner part :)

I actually decided to make Huli Huli chicken tonight.*

Okay, so wait a minute here!
You go out and get Aloha Brand BBQ Sauce that then you
RUIN it with Yamasa Shoyu?
BRADDAH MAN!!!!
Where da ALOHA SHOYU?!! ;) :LOL:

Me, I use da original kine

Hawaii May 2012 296.jpg

... but I let you slide braddah, you get everyting else,
plenty ginger, yay? Ok den :ROFLMAO:

I like see your picture when you pau!

Here's minez one:
009.JPG
wit da mac salad too, yay, but only one scoop,
`cuz you know, gotta watch my figa :ninja:

I'm kidding you IE, I couldn't resist when I say the Aloha BBQ Sauce,
the brand of my homeland ;):chef::yum:

Okay, so wait a minute here!
You go out and get Aloha Brand BBQ Sauce that then you
RUIN it with Yamasa Shoyu?
BRADDAH MAN!!!!
Where da ALOHA SHOYU?!! ;) :LOL:

Me, I use da original kine

View attachment 29666

... but I let you slide braddah, you get everyting else,
plenty ginger, yay? Ok den :ROFLMAO:

I like see your picture when you pau!

Here's minez one:
View attachment 29667
wit da mac salad too, yay, but only one scoop,
`cuz you know, gotta watch my figa :ninja:

I'm kidding you IE, I couldn't resist when I say the Aloha BBQ Sauce,
the brand of my homeland ;):chef::yum:

:) :) :)

I actually brought back some real good Aloha Shoyu, but its all out. And our local store does NOT HAVE IT :( only the bbq sauce.

Yours looks just like the one I had near Hana. My favorite !!!!!

What's going on at your casa?

We're doing a sous vide tri tip, to be finished on the searing side burner of the gas grill.
Sides will be leftover Ratatouille from last night and also some fresh corn off the cob saute with butter and fresh basil, along with Texas garlic toast.
That should make a colorful pretty plate of food, so I'll try to remember pictures.

More fun with fire on the mega burner
P4080088_2.jpg
P4080090_1.jpg
P4080091_1.jpg

Last edited:
:) :) :)

I actually brought back some real good Aloha Shoyu, but its all out. And our local store does NOT HAVE IT :( only the bbq sauce.

Yours looks just like the one I had near Hana. My favorite !!!!!

Oh my gosh, IE, you're in SanJose Cali, braddah, you get one Marukai Market by you!!! GO!! My all time favorite store here on the mainland! Get all da local kine grindz brah.
DH and I went to their counter-part, Tokyo Central in Costa Mesa last year, OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER MY TWO SCOOP RICE!! (that's OMG! in my world) They have Okazu-ya there!!! I could live there :LOL: No, not really, I kinda like it here in cowboyville :king:

Yeah, so, picture brah!!! Where's your pictures?

What's going on at your casa?

We're doing a sous vide tri tip, to be finished on the searing side burner of the gas grill.
Sides will be leftover Ratatouille from last night and also some fresh corn off the cob saute with butter and fresh basil, along with Texas garlic toast.
That should make a colorful pretty plate of food, so I'll try to remember pictures.
At first I was a little skeptical about the Sous Vide, but after 3 successful meals with it, I am a believer. It makes sense that if you put it in a water bath at a certain temperature, it cannot get any warmer than that!
Dinner tonight was great, and the burner on our BBQ works great to sear the meat.

KL, the tri-tip looks awesome. It is something rarely made here, and hard to find in the stores. And, if you cook it wrong, it is shoe leather. That sous vide and sear method looks perfect. That and the garlic toast would be good all by themselves, to me.

I was busy all day, and the weather was still to cold to do the things I wanted to do. So, I stopped at a dive bar in town on the way home from IKEA and had some nachos. They are good nachos, and cheap -- and enough for six people. I couldn't finish half. I brought the good parts home to mix with some eggs tomorrow.

CD

after a few hours of love*

I started some Mesquite coals

JCmbtA1.jpg

and the iron cage right on top of it

MPK8sSv.jpg

After 2 and half hour of sous vide, the chicken is getting its sauce
LqAVfhm.jpg

On to a hot grill it goes*

9pflYsU.jpg

and with nice white rice and coleslaw we serve *macaroni salad next time thought*

cw3gL5P.jpg

u69m2e9.jpg

...I need to make him a salad for dinner (have lots of romaine, but I can't eat it right now)...
Cut in half, brush with oil and grill. Not now, since it's too late. :LOL: But try it. Deelicious!

All the dinners tonight look and sound so good you would think it was Sunday! Except no one made Sunday Sauce...:huh:

One of the larger regional grocery stores had an unbelievable loss leader last week - mixed package of pork chops for 79 cents a pound! Some will need to be covered with BBQ sauce or sauerkraut, but six of the twelve were lovely. I breaded and baked three today, and Tetris-ed three packages into the freezer for other meals. Tonight's sides were mac-and-cheese, green beans, and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Attachments

• 20180408_190547.jpg
    20180408_190547.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180408_204342.jpg
    20180408_204342.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 148
Mr W, came passed and handed us his award winning beef stew , which was perfect because I was too tired to cook. So beef stew and potatoes and all ways good.

Hmm, "Salt". "Sugar". And that pretty much sums up why I mix my own blends more often than not. :D

I have had to start doing my own seasonings. I have to maintain my blood pressure -- two trips to the ER is a pretty good warning sign. So many rubs have WAY more salt than they need to taste good. But, we crave salt. I still use salt when I cook, but JUST ENOUGH, no more. I salt, a little, taste a little, and salt a little until it is just right. That "just right" point is about 20 percent of commercial processed food "just right."

CD

Back
Top Bottom