Sunday's Dinner - 7/3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Red Meat Sunday !
Montreal-Rubbed, Grilled N.Y. Strip,
Nuked russet, Corn, Fire-Roasted Tomatoes & Cut Okra...

Steak, NY Strip 7-3-22.jpg

I just couldn't motivate myself to cook supper today. We ordered from our favourite Indian resto. The food was good, but it wasn't quite as good as usual. The tikka chicken was possibly better than usual, but the lamb samosas, the chicken 65, and even the tamarind sauce weren't quite as good as usual. The roti was about the same as usual.

It's the food that has more names in this country than any other. It became popular in school cafeterias (that's where I first had it) and now it's a staple.

We call it American Chop Suey around here. Elsewhere it's called goulash, slumgullion, Johnny Marzetti, beefaroni and who knows what else.

I first made it in the late 90s when my older daughter mentioned how much she liked it. We worked out the recipe together to get the taste to her liking and now it's a family favorite in both my family and my in-laws' families.

My Honey calls this Soul Food:

IMG_0197.jpg

Andy, we called that American Goulash at our house. To be authentic Johnny Marzetti you would place all of those ingredients into a casserole dish, top with grated Cheddar cheese, and bake until the cheese is melted and everything is hot

We had romaine lettuce tossed with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, then topped with crispy bacon, chopped egg, and tomatoes. Had a sandwich with that: deli Virginia baked ham and Jarlsberg cheese, toasted, then finished off with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, and my mayo/ mustard/horseradish spred.

IMG_20220703_214024958_HDR.jpg

We our 4th celebration yesterday. Leftovers for today.
Marinated flank steak (seared on cast iron stove-top grill pan), pulled pork (boneless spare ribs dry rubbed) cooked in the instant pot till fall-apart tender then basted with sweet baby ray's hickory and brown sugar and under the broiler.
Sides were homemade macaroni salad, potato salad, kidney & cannellini salad, and salsa. Homemade steak dipping sauce and nacho chips were also on the side.

steak_ribs_070322_img_9796-jpg.51055

Back
Top Bottom