Sunday's Dinner 9/4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Leftover Chicken on a Sunday ???
Yup ! From the rotisserie yesterday...

Chicken & Biscuits, Steamed Broccoli ...

Chicken & Biscuits 9-4-22.jpg

LT, hardly recognize you when you don't have beef on Sundays. :LOL: When my Mom was growing up, chicken was almost always the Sunday main meal because grandma raised her own. During the Depression, good meat was a rare supper.

We have leftovers going here, too. I'll make salads shortly, then we'll each dip into the scallop/corn pasta when we want more to eat. Some of the never-ending watermelon for dessert.

Ohmigosh! I picked up some 1-inch pork chops at the market this week at the manager's special...buy them today or they get pitched.

Thought about stuffing them but found a recipe that really caught my eye.

Glad I did because it was as good as any high-end restaurant could offer.

Check this out: https://www.dontsweattherecipe.com/thick-cut-bone-in-pork-chop-recipe/?utm_source=pocket_mylist

Had homemade scalloped potatoes as a side and a blueberry cake dessert.

Lots of leftovers of everything. I might not have to cook for a few days:LOL:.

The pork chops were beyond yummy!

And as George Carlin asked his mother, "Did they look like the picture?" You bet your bunny shoes they did.

I made a massaman chicken curry for supper tonight. I used the same recipe once before, but with beef. I also added some more spices this time. Oh my goodness, that was good. The added spices were a cinnamon stick, a star anise, a bay leaf, some whole cumin, and some whole coriander seeds. I think that must have helped, because I remember the dish being good, but I don't remember it being this good. I served it with brown basmati rice. It would have been nice to have had some veggies to go with that, but I ran out of energy.

Anyone have any suggestions for a "cooling" Thai veggie dish that would go well with this?

Massaman chicken curry with brown basmati rice.jpg Massaman chicken curry with brown basmati.jpg

Great food al the way around folks!

It's our wedding anniversary, so we took my Mother out with us to dinner in her neck of the woods, one of all of our favorite places for dinner.

IMG_2083.jpg

Mom and I both ordered this lovely Chicken dish with Artichokes and Mushrooms, all in a velvety Butter, Lemon and Caper sauce served of Pasta

IMG_2084.jpg

DH had has usual New Zealand Green Lip Mussels Marinara, he ate it ALL!

IMG_2085.jpg

We three shared a Cannoli for dessert and DH had Coffee, I ordered another glass of wine.

What a nice evening!

That sounds great, TL! Raita was my first thought, too - even though not traditionally Thai, the Massaman curry is a hybrid dish it would probably be good with, and fairly easy. Most of the Thai salad type dishes I make have more to cut up than the curries, so not what you are looking for! Often I serve some simple sweet and sour cucumber sticks - some seeded cucumbers, cut into strips, about 2 c put in a mason jar, with 4 tb lime juice, 2 tb fish sauce, 2 tb sugar, zest of one of the limes, and a tb of minced Thai pepper (optional). I mix it until the sugar dissolves, then refrigerate, and shake it every time I get something from the fridge. After a few hours, the cukes can be removed to a bowl, and a topped with little chopped cilantro.

The raita sounds intriguing. I just looked it up on Wikipedia to be sure we were thinking of the same thing. We have had raita in Indian restos and didn't really care for it. It was yogourt, cucumber, mint and / or cilantro, salt, and maybe some cumin. But, according to Wikipedia, it could be any of a number of cooked or raw veggies, or even fruit, with the yogourt.

The raita sounds intriguing. I just looked it up on Wikipedia to be sure we were thinking of the same thing. We have had raita in Indian restos and didn't really care for it. It was yogourt, cucumber, mint and / or cilantro, salt, and maybe some cumin. But, according to Wikipedia, it could be any of a number of cooked or raw veggies, or even fruit, with the yogourt.

I have a recipe for Thai pickled cucumbers if you're interested.

This is probably the same as Andy's but in my book it is simply called Cucumber Salad. Perfect to balance heat from a lot of Thai dishes.

10" cucumber (prefer English but any will do)
1/2 small red onion
1/3 medium red pepper

1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

Wash cucumber (peel if waxy, zebra stripe or fork raked if English)
I slice them very thin on mandolin but chunky 1/4s, any slices, whatever you like.
juileinnes for red pepper and red onion
whisk vinegar, sugar, salt

my friend like to pour over and serve immediately
I like to pour over before supper is started and then serve - I find leftovers great.
Enjoy! It's perfect for spicy a meal.

Thanks dragn, but that's a pretty standard cucumber salad recipe. DH won't eat that. He doesn't like cucumber. He has enjoyed the Chinese smashed cucumber salad. It's the only way he has ever found cucumber palatable, so far.

Oh golly, Happy Anniversary, kgirl!

I'll pretend you were all at the table with me...
having Chef John's Deviled Lobster Tails
Positi ely perfect.
20220904_185846.jpg

It was! taxy, it was! of course we were pigs, ate 2 tails each. :rolleyes:

Only difference between smashed cucumber and thai is the addition of some soy sauce and sesame oil - I shouldn't think it would be "cooling" if you add (as a lot of smashed recipes do) the garlic and chili oil.

We grilled.

Hot dogs, homemade buns, slaw from a bag and thin-cut potatoes on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom