Sunflower seed butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My first attempt at making sunflower seed butter was a disaster. I simply threw a cup of sunflower seeds into my power blender, and expected it to turn into a finished product. It was way too thick, and couldn't agitate in the blender. Soooo, for this attempt, i melted 3tbs. coconut oil, and placed it into the blender. I turned it on high speed. I then slowly added sunflower seeds, letting them become completely pulverized. I tasted the nut butter. It seemed thin, and needed salt, and a touch of sweetener. I added 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. stevia in the raw. I blended it for another 20 seconds or so. The flavor was spot on. Due to the friction of the blades and seeds, all was quite warm, almost hot. I poured my semi-liquid nut butter into two, 1 quart mason jars, and placed them in the fridge, several hours later, I gave it a try. The consistency was perfect. I added whole sunflower seeds into one of the jars to make it crunchy, and left the other creamy.

A tbs. of the nut butter, mixed with an equal amount of whipped honey makes a great spread for toast, or glaze for pork. Don't you just love it when you figure out how to make something new?:cool: I suspect you could use the same process to make any nut butter you want to make, hazelnut, cashew, pecan, macadamia nut, brazil nut, etc.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
That's great, Chief! I always put my nuts or sesame seeds in the freezer for 30 or 40 minutes, to get them cold, before grinding - still a little warm, by the time they are butter, but not super hot, like you probably noticed. And I always seem to need a tb of oil per half cup of nuts, but sesame seeds don't seem to need that, for tahini, and I'm sure it varies - some more oily nuts wouldn't need any, and some less oily ones would need more, but I haven't tried that many.

One word of caution...don't use sunflower seed butter as a replacement for other "butters" in baking...unless you are making the item for St. Patrick's Day! It tends to turn things very green. Unappealing in some things.

I recently made my own peanut butter ( from my home grown peanuts). Aa little grittier than I like,but still came out very good.

I also have a recipe ( which I have to dig up) making a savory, garlicky sunflower butter o spread on bread ( Italian bread croutons). Haven't made it in years, but
remember It was a very good.

One word of caution...don't use sunflower seed butter as a replacement for other "butters" in baking...unless you are making the item for St. Patrick's Day! It tends to turn things very green. Unappealing in some things.

But that can be fun...

I recently made these cookies: https://sunbutter.com/recipe/classic-sunbutter-cookies/

They tasted great and looked like as expected until you broke one in half - BRIGHT green inside. Very fun.

Baking soda reacts with the chlorophyll in sun butter, and brings that green color. I'll be making sun butter cookies tomorrow for St. Patrick's day. I'll be using both baking powder, and baking soda to give the cookies that green color.

I bet that trick would work with muffins as well.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom