Superbowl 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O good. I was afraid I am the only messy eater in the universe.

I like your take on putting together a quesadilla. It is an art-form.

I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.

Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.

I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.

Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.

Thank you for acknowledging my artistry. :cool:

For TBG (The Big Game), if I was going to make quesadillas, I'd use the smallest tortillas and fold them in half.

For TBG (The Big Game), if I was going to make quesadillas, I'd use the smallest tortillas and fold them in half.

That's probably wise. :LOL:

Kathleen asked a simple question. And if she follows much of this train of thought, Frank may never taste a good quesadilla, the way they are meant to be eaten. I assure I can eat and behave as an adult. It's a struggle. I have successfully served sticky chix wings and ribs at parties without mishap. I prefer to not eat bowls of chili resting on my lap, too much geometric distance between bowl and mouth.

Afterwhile the little bowls are not pretty but you are happy.

Now, if I were serving this in the company of others, I would mind my manners a little better. We could each have our own spoon, I guess.

I see Andy is making Chicken Quesadillas for dinner tonight. Maybe he has a different take on making these.

My superbowl menu has a plan B, I think. :wub: Refried beans.......guac.....salsa.......mmmm.

Thank you for that website! They have tons of ideas. Quesadillas sound terrific and I never thought of them....What do you fill them with?
We will be celebrating our 9er's of course and making quesadillas with pulled pork we cook in the slowcooker with cumin, onion,garlic, chili powder then the cheese some Mexican crema, and a good melting cheese I'm thinking Monterey jack with hot peppers in it. maybe some chili and cilantro and all that good stuff. Dessert a chocolate cake with instant pudding in it topped with either ice cream or whipped cream..finger foods not sure yet.
kades

With playoffs coming down to the final four, I'm pondering what we will have for the Superbowl spread this year.

I keep wanting to make something very different for me. One of the ideas I have was to make these pork belly sliders. They sound intriguing and totally yummy. If I make then, I want nibbles, a side, and a dessert to round it out. Ideas would be welcomed here! I want finger-foods.

What are you considering to make for your Superbowl Spread?

I make *sandwiches with baguettes (French/Italian bread), pull out some of the bread, & cut them into smaller portions.

*Sandwich filling ideas:
Tri-tip sandwiches
Philly cheese meatball subs (sauteed onions & green bell peppers w/ provolone cheese)
French Dip
Italian Beef
Pulled Pork
Sausage, peppers & onions

Sides:
Cold red potato salad w/ dill, and cold mac or tortellini salad.

Nibbles:
Shrimp wrapped in bacon
Guacamole w/ crab
Jalapeno poppers

Dessert:
Brownies or Brownie ice cream sandwiches

Last edited:

You reminded me of Chi-Chi's deep fried ice cream served on a tortilla. There are some copycat recipes on the web.

Re the quesadillas, I like mine with apples or pears, gouda, walnuts & green onions.

Well, my Packers were clobbered last weekend, so I will probably root for the 49ers now. They and Green Bay have a lot of shared history. If the Niners are knocked out, then I won't root for any team. I'll still watch, though.

Food-wise, we don't do a lot for SB Sunday, regardless of who's playing. It will probably be a Chili and Beer night.

Well, my Packers were clobbered last weekend, so I will probably root for the 49ers now. They and Green Bay have a lot of shared history. If the Niners are knocked out, then I won't root for any team. I'll still watch, though.

Food-wise, we don't do a lot for SB Sunday, regardless of who's playing. It will probably be a Chili and Beer night.

But...what KIND of chili.....or beer? Details wanted! :)

Rumakiiiiii---that's what has my mouth watering and it's only 7:00 in the morning!!!

rumaki is bacon-wrapped chicken livers/water chestnuts, variously marinated in soy and terrriaki sauces, ginger paste. bacon slathered with dijon mustard, brown sugar....there are a gazillion recipes for these rumaki online. and these days, anything wrapped in bacon and secured with a toothpick can pass for rumaki. like scallops, of course. but reading about the chicken livers this morning really got my taste buds dancing, add Bacon and wc crunch to that, and i can scarcely wait for superbowl sunday to get here...(go ravens).

Last edited:
What are you considering to make for your Superbowl Spread?

I don't really have a spread anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't eat all day ;)
I'll be having the usual 3-4 different kinds of crackers and cheeses. Some sliced pepperoni when I really feel like stacking the cracker, probably Triscuit, Swiss and pepperoni nuked until warm... The usual hot dip; Layers of cream cheese, Hormel's chili W/O beans, cheddar cheese and jalapenos nuked until melted and served with Tostitos... I think I'll make a big pot of chili Sunday, too, but I'm not sure I will have any. Well, probably a *small* cup :rolleyes: I may even try my hand at that spinach dip that is served in the bread. I'm sure that would be OK with crackeres.

Rumakiiiiii---that's what has my mouth watering and it's only 7:00 in the morning!!!

rumaki is bacon-wrapped chicken livers/water chestnuts, variously marinated in soy and terrriaki sauces, ginger paste. bacon slathered with dijon mustard, brown sugar....there are a gazillion recipes for these rumaki online. and these days, anything wrapped in bacon and secured with a toothpick can pass for rumaki. like scallops, of course. but reading about the chicken livers this morning really got my taste buds dancing, add Bacon and wc crunch to that, and i can scarcely wait for superbowl sunday to get here...(go ravens).

the above sketchily-described rumaki, was meant only as a suggestion, possibly to be googled by you if bacon and chicken livers grab your interest as they did mine early this morn. i only wanted to add that making rumaki is a big job, though reportedly worth the time and trouble.
here is a truly quick and easy hors doeuvres (sp?) on a toothpick--with or without crackers: slices of smoked sausage (polish is fine), chunks of crispy tart-sweet apple, and chunks of cheddar, swiss or other solid cheese. no muss no fuss, simply spear and eat...(mmm, go great with football):yum:

Last edited:
I think I've settled on making Chicken-Sausage gumbo and mini-Po'Boys for Superbowl Sunday. Banana Pudding for dessert.

It just sounds right. :yum:

Yea. Menus are starting to look good. So far we are shaping up to have --

devilled eggs
chicken wings - probably baked, the way the weather is here,
Urban Onion dip, like ranch, w/ dill & beau monde seasoning.
sloppy joes - Jr's request
some kind of chip called "scoopers", again Jr's req, he must like dip
Ghiradelli brownie mix
not sure the name, pickle in the middle, slather deli ham or salami slices w/ cream cheese and wrap around a pickle. Chill, slice, eat.
Ro-tel/ queso dip, SIL bringing...

More, but others are bringing.

Not sure when the food vs the game begins, sooner than later I hope :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom