Superbowl 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we have two threads going on superbowl eats, you know. and i see there's going to be a puppy bowl again this year. is the puppy bowl meant for that hardcore group of fb haters out there, and do you suppose i need to buy some puppy chow, too....

I thought this thread was about what we all were having and the other thread was someone looking for suggestions "out of the box" for what they could fix. I could be wrong.
Come tomorrow we will have two more anyway with the dinner thread and the tailgating thread :chef:

While we don't party for Super Bowl Sunday, my son and I will probably watch the game. No big or special foods here. Just our usual fare. Since I'm dieting for the wedding, no snacks and just regular meals. I might break down and have a beer during the game but that will be it.

I made ghiradelli brownies last night ( for the Niner's). Just plain regular ones, none of that funny california/ alice be toklas stuff. ( drat). For the Ravens, I hope someone brings a crab dip or something, otherwise my wings will easily convert to Raven Wings, won't skip a beat nor change a thing.

In case you want to know who I am rooting for, for a hint, look over at Mr Natural towards your left.

I made ghiradelli brownies last night ( for the Niner's). Just plain regular ones, none of that funny california/ alice be toklas stuff. ( drat). For the Ravens, I hope someone brings a crab dip or something, otherwise my wings will easily convert to Raven Wings, won't skip a beat nor change a thing.

In case you want to know who I am rooting for, for a hint, look over at Mr Natural towards your left.

first off, whiskas, forgive my ignorance, please. what is the brownies/sanfran 49ers connection? secondly, i'm afraid i don't recognize your avatar, don't know mr. natural. but, i will hazard a guess and say your team is the 49ers because of the gold color....?

Last edited:
I think I've settled on making Chicken-Sausage gumbo and mini-Po'Boys for Superbowl Sunday. Banana Pudding for dessert.

It just sounds right. :yum:

gumbo sounds superbowl 'right' to me too, kathleen.:yum: i've been watching people on tv preparing and eating gumbo, and i can barely stand it--i WANT me summm!!! nobody throws a party to compare with the big easy. they have the food, the music and the heart! i wish the superbowl could be played at the dome every year. good luck with your gumbo and li'l po'boys, kathleen! (and, send me summ, please?):yum:

We are going to munch on some nachos for the game. So many different things to throw on those corn chips! :yum::pig:

Ghiradelli chocolate is from San Francisco, like Hershey's choc in Pa. Ghiradelli Square is an historic now tourist area along fisherman's wharf area. Grocery stores sell a brownie mix that is better than betty crocker. Pretty easy to make. Hard to not do a taste test.

We lived in SF for two years in the early 70's.

My avatar is by 1960's SF undergrond comic artist, Robert Crumb. He wrote ahem, adult comic books; subjects mostly were ( pardon again, ahem) sex drugs rock and roll and hippie individuality as expressed by alternative lifestyle conformity ofthe time. Mr Natural as a comic character was most often nekkid. His long beard made him seem quite chaste. Well, mostly. This might be close to Mr Natural's last hurrah. Looking for a new avatar for 2013. I watched an R Crumb biography recently. He is unfortunately way more misogynist that I find intolerable. I do like he is an avid collector of 1920's -30's jazz. That part is very much my style.

So that's it in a nut shell.

"nobody throws a party to compare with the big easy."

I just read this a.m. that NOLA is the fastest growing city in the U.S. It's about time that city gets back on its feet. :)

first off, whiskas, forgive my ignorance, please. what is the brownies/sanfran 49ers connection? secondly, i'm afraid i don't recognize your avatar, don't know mr. natural. but, i will hazard a guess and say your team is the 49ers because of the gold color....?

You are close Vit, but I don't think it's the color. Think "counterculture" an I right Whisk?!

Ghiradelli chocolate is from San Francisco, like Hershey's choc in Pa. Ghiradelli Square is an historic now tourist area along fisherman's wharf area. Grocery stores sell a brownie mix that is better than betty crocker. Pretty easy to make. Hard to not do a taste test.

We lived in SF for two years in the early 70's.

My avatar is by 1960's SF undergrond comic artist, Robert Crumb. He wrote ahem, adult comic books; subjects mostly were ( pardon again, ahem) sex drugs rock and roll and hippie individuality as expressed by alternative lifestyle conformity ofthe time. Mr Natural as a comic character was most often nekkid. His long beard made him seem quite chaste. Well, mostly. This might be close to Mr Natural's last hurrah. Looking for a new avatar for 2013. I watched an R Crumb biography recently. He is unfortunately way more misogynist that I find intolerable. I do like he is an avid collector of 1920's -30's jazz. That part is very much my style.

So that's it in a nut shell.

And here I thought you were just an old SF hippie Whisk!

All I know is that must have been before my time :whistling
But Whiska's avie reminded me of the old Mad Magazine characters without the folded feet when they walked.

I thought it had something to do with the Keep on Truckin' guy.

I managed some chicken tenders that I will cut into chunks and bake till done and then toss into some buffalo sauce and bake a little more to set. No breading and as little butter as I can get away with. I have salad with ranch and lots of fruit munchies. No starchy carbs today, had pancakes for breakfast.

I LOVE the beer cooler idea's. You can also use your bathtub (after you clean it, of course.) I see nice display of beer bottles and little yellow plastic ducks. =o)

I'm going to attempt to make a shrimp and sausage gumbo using an Alton Brown recipe that has you making the roux in the oven. I have not been successful in roux'ing in the past. I'm hoping this will work nicely. My one glitch is that I cannot find head -on shrimp. I was hoping to use the heads for the stock. I think a combo of chicken stock and clam juice may work to get something close to the missing shrimp stock.

Get easy-peel raw shrimp. Use the shells and legs to make you shrimp broth. It really makes a flavorful broth. Just add a little salt, and a touch of Old Bay seasoning.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

DW- detests football. I like it, but am not an avid TV sports guy (except for the Stanley Cup Playoffs). But I have my spicy tomato aspic, crackers, pepperoni, salami, cheeses, and home made venison pastrami to keep me nibblin' today. And it all tastes sooooo good.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This should get me into the second quarter (maybe), where the second course will be a little chili.

Attachments

• Triscuit & Swiss.jpg
    Triscuit & Swiss.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Ritz & Cheddar.jpg
    Ritz & Cheddar.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom