Supper or Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
What do you call your evening meal? I call it supper and DH calls it Dinner.

Angie, some of it depends where you live. Here in the south, the midday meal is dinner. The evening meal is called supper.

Historically, it's because the farmers arose so early in the morning and needed "fuel" in the middle of the day to get them through the rest of their hard work. They came home to a supper and, understandably, went to bed early to wake up and do it all over again.

I have almost always called the evening meal "supper."

Well Angie here in South Central Pennsylvania we all refer to our evening meal as supper and our noon meal as dinner. I firmly believe that this might be Pennsylvania Dutch thingy.

I heard/read somewhere that, if you have the big meal of the day around noon, it's called, dinner and the evening meal is then supper. If the big meal of the day is in the evening, it is called dinner and the noon meal is lunch.

Andy M. said:
I heard/read somewhere that, if you have the big meal of the day around noon, it's called, dinner and the evening meal is then supper. If the big meal of the day is in the evening, it is called dinner and the noon meal is lunch.

THANK YOU! That's my perception of it as well!

With grandparents that came from both the South and Canada; both always said that it was dinner (lunch time) and supper for the evening/night meal. That is the way I still think of it; as do my kids.

Andy M. said:

If you roll it around in your mind for a while :ROFLMAO: , You'll notice that Andy M. is right. After all, we all have Sunday Dinner and an evening supper on Sunday.

StirBlue said:
If you roll it around in your mind for a while :ROFLMAO: , You'll notice that Andy M. is right. After all, we all have Sunday Dinner and an evening supper on Sunday.

Except, Stir...our family (some were northerners, some were southerners) had Sunday "dinner" very near noon.

My evening meal is usually called "salad."

Growing up we had breakfast, lunch (usually carried to school or work), and supper. On Sunday we had an unusually large breakfast later in th emorning than on weekdays, then dinner, which was served around 3:00 pm, and finally, around 8:00 pm, we usually made sandwiches with dinner's leftovers, but it was sort of a "come in and make your own whenever you feel like it" type of thing, so didn't call it anything.

Its always supper to me - hubby its dinner. If we eat before 6 on Sunday, or a holiday its - Dinner - weird ! Lol, we just eat !

We have called it supper all of my life. The only time we had dinner was on Sunday at noon, when my dad made a big meal after church. The strange thing is, we have 5 grown children and they all call the evening meal dinner.

:) Where I live it's dinner at night, in the middle of the day it's always lunch.
When In in Texas supper is confusing because that also means dinner to me.

Lets see.....Around these parts it's

Breakfast..Dinner...Supper 98% of the time.

Sometimes in business or more formal situations Dinner can become "Lunch"
Same scenario... supper can become "Dinner"

I believe that "lunch' at noon and "dinner" at night are more modern and formal terms rather than necessarily having anything to do with food quanities.

Thats my opinion and I'm stickin to it:LOL:

I call it breakfast, lunch, and dinner respectively. Must be a New England thing ;)

It's really just a case of semantics, primarily based on your heritage.

Growing up in our household (Czech), Monday thru Saturday we had "breakfast, lunch, & dinner". Sunday, however, as others have mentioned, was always different - i.e. "breakfast, dinner, & supper". The main meal of the day was in the afternoon, & if anyone felt "peckish" later on, we usually had sandwiches or some leftovers from Sunday dinner.

In my family its breakfast, lunch, and dinner mon thru sat and on sun we have breadfast in the morning and dinner about 2pm. We don't eat but 2 meals on sun. We're in Florida if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom