Swedish Tosca Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spryte

Senior Cook
Swedish Tosca Cookies

Crust
1 C + 2 Tbls butter
3 C flour
3/4 C sugar

Cream together butter and sugar. Blend in flour. Lightly spray tartlet tins with cooking spray.
Press into bottom and half up the sides of the tins. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.

Filling
1 C finely chopped nuts
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C + 2 Tbls butter
4 1/2 Tbls milk
2 Tbls flour

Combine all filling ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Spoon filling into partially cooked cookies and continue to cook for 10 - 15 more minutes. When
completely cooled, remove from tins. You may have to loosen them a bit with the tip of a knife or wiggle
the tin a bit. These cookies are rich, decadent and delicious!!

I have never heard of these, and I'm half swedish. The only swedish cookies I ever had were Spritz..... where you use the goofy machine and pipe out a circle of batter on a cookie sheet. My mom has one of those contraptions and has had it ever since I was very small.. over 25 years..and it still works.

Ya know, I have no idea if they're Swedish or not. I've never heard the word Tosca before. But I did do a quick google search and it seems to be Slavic or Italian. The cookies are good though!

spryte said:
Ya know, I have no idea if they're Swedish or not. I've never heard the word Tosca before. But I did do a quick google search and it seems to be Slavic or Italian. The cookies are good though!
I've seen several recipes for these cookies all with different variations on the spelling --Tascis, Toscas, etc, but the one I have from my mom is Tassies(she's had this recipe since the 1950s or before)--and they are like little miniature pecan pies! Yum! We also have no clue where they originated, my dad was in the Navy and we moved a lot and met people from all over the country to exchange recipes with.

All in all--a Tassie by any other name tastes just as sweet! :)

my mother got a recipe for these from my sister in law or her mother, who claim a strong Swedish heritage. Mom used to make them for the holidays and keep them in the freezer and I used to eat them right out of the freezer, although they are probably better at room temperature. She always used almonds for the nuts, blanched sliced almonds. About how many does the recipe make? I make them in small sized muffin pans, so they are about an inch or 1.5 inches in diameter.

Bruc

Even though this is old, I can confirm for future readers that yes tosca cookies does exist but more common is tosca cake.
Tosca cookies are short bread filled with an almond filling and topped with toffee almonds.

Tosca cake is thick dense sponge with toffee / caramelized almonds on top

Back
Top Bottom