Sweet Onion Preserves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
SWEET ONION PRESERVES

1/2 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
3 lb Sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup Light brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup Tarragon white wine vinegar
1 c Dry white wine
1/4 cup Tarragon leaves, fresh, minced
1 t sp Freshly ground white pepper

Warm oil in non-reactive pan over medium heat. Stir in
the onions and sugar. Reduce the heat to low, cover
and cook, stirring occassionally, for 30 minutes. Add
the vinegar and wine and cook over med-low heat,
uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, or
until mixture is thick. Stir in the tarragon and
pepper.

Prepare the jars, lids and boiling water bath. Fill
jars leave 1/4 inc headspace. Wipe rims with clean
towel and attach lids securely.

Place jars in boiling water bath, when water returns
to boil, process for 15 mins.

Last edited:
I think it would be great as a spread for crostinni, flatbreads or pizza, or as a condiment on sandwiches and meats. Imagine using this on your burger or hot dog...Mmmmmm!

Constance, that sounds similar to my onion marmalade recipe (think it was originally by Delia Smith, but I honestly can't remember!). I make a batch and just keep it in a covered dish in the fridge for up to a week - it would probably last longer, but I'm really paranoid that I might kill people with my food if I keep it too long, so I tend to chuck it out and start again!

I use this with cheese and oatcakes, with cold meats and as a relish in a cheese and pickle sandwich.

400g white or red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
25g butter
150 ml red wine or stock
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or rosemary
Salt and freshly groun black pepper
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and soften for 10 minutes Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring to a simmer Cook over a gentle heat for approximately 45 minutes, leaving the lid off and stirring frequently
At the end of the cooking time nearly all of the liquid should have evaporated, leaving glossy onion marmalade

I am so going to make some of this stuff!

I dont care for tarragon, but between these two recipes, I know I can make something fantastic!

THANKS!!!!

That makes 3 of us who don't like tarragon, but this sounds wonderful otherwise. Harry & David put out an onion and bell pepper relish I'm crazy about. Do you think the addition of red and green bell peppers would work with this?

That makes 3 of us who don't like tarragon, but this sounds wonderful otherwise. Harry & David put out an onion and bell pepper relish I'm crazy about. Do you think the addition of red and green bell peppers would work with this?

I think the taste would be great. I am a big fan of hot and sweet pepper relish. I do not know enough about making them to know if it would cause any problems preserving the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom