Sweet & Salty Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've been trying for awhile to come up with ideas for homemade snack bars. I finally came up with this.

First, you'll need to make Alix's Nuts & Bolts:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/nuts-and-bolts-1651.html

I liked her seasoning mixture, and incorporated the dry ingredients with a melted stick of butter, along with a little lite soy sauce, then tossed thoroughly, dampening my mixture of:

Several kinds of nuts, cashews, pecans, sunflower seeds, as well as roasted peanuts and honey roasted peanuts.

Traditional Chex mix. It's not real salty and works well in this.

Oaty-Os (generic Cheerios)

Trail mix. Nice mixture of dried fruits and coconut shavings.

I toasted this mixture in the oven at 250°, in a single layer in my large roasting pan, stirring every 20 minutes. It took about an hour and a half.

Then..

I melted another stick of butter and then melted a 12 oz. package of marshmallows in the butter.

Mix nuts & bolts with the marshmallow mixture and turn into a pan and pat down into a 2" layer. When set, cut into bars.

Warnings:

Spray any bowls, utensils, even hands with spray oil, to prevent the marshmallows from sticking.

You can refrigerate this to set it up, but it will be hard as a rock when you first remove it from the fridge. It will soften up after a few minutes. I had to sit the pan in hot water for a couple of minutes to soften it enough to cut, then placed the cut pieces back in the fridge to keep.

Last edited:
The mixture I used had a few raisins. During the roasting process, the raisins got scorched. I'll pick them out next time. The remaining nuts and dried fruits came out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom