Tamales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We make tamales occasionally. We always make a lot and freeze for future meals as the fillings and the dough take time to make/cook/steam whether you make a little or a lot. I put fresh pureed corn in my masa as it makes the tamale dough taste so much better.

We make tamales occasionally. We always make a lot and freeze for future meals as the fillings and the dough take time to make/cook/steam whether you make a little or a lot. I put fresh pureed corn in my masa as it makes the tamale dough taste so much better.
I do mostly the same, although I just lightly break up the corn kernels. This gives the tamales a sweet crunch when you eat them. It's a nice contrast to the soft fillings.

Yes, there is a recipe for a sweet tamale with a savoury meat filling. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt

For the Filling:

- 1 have .never made a tamale in my life. I am a black American who does not care for soul food except cornmeal dishes. I moved to Phoenix from NYC and tasted tamales for the first time. It is my desire to make a sweet tamale with a savoury meat filling. Does such a recipe exist? then please give the detailed

Yes, there is a recipe for a sweet tamale with a savoury meat filling. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt

For the Filling:

- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, mix together the masa harina, water, vegetable oil, baking powder, and salt until combined. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes until it is smooth and pliable.

2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef or pork, onion, and garlic until the meat is cooked through and the onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, and oregano and cook for an additional minute.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the raisins, pine nuts, olives, and cilantro.

4. Take a small handful of the masa dough and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disc shape and place 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture in the center. Fold the edges of the disc over the filling to enclose it completely.

5. Place the tamale on a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper and wrap it up tightly.

6. Place the wrapped tamales in a steamer basket or large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam for 40 minutes.

7. Serve the tamales warm. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom