Tassimo vs Keurig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, strike one against for the Tassimo.

I thought it was just me one day when the T disk didn't fit properly and punctured an extra hole, sending coffee and coffee grounds all over the place. It took six flushings with an empty milk disk, several sani-wipes and a lot of elbow grease just to clean the machine and the bar code reader, not to mention the counter and floor.

Well, yesterday it did the same thing again, even though I was very careful in how I inserted the disk. Then, today, I put my latte milk in first (as I always do), and it sounded like it was going on a lot longer than usual. Sure enough, I had a full latte mug (quite large) of very watery milk and froth. So, for a third time I was scrubbing out the disk area and cleaning off the code reader. Finally I got a nice cup of Chai Latte. I don't mind wasting the milk disks as we have a ton of them, but the espresso, and specially the Chai aren't cheap.

The only problem I have had with the Keurig has to do with high altitude. The lack of air pressure makes the cups swell up and can force the grounds into the piercing spike at the top where the water enters. This is alleviated by placing the cup in the holder and pressing it down firmly on the bottom spike. Once I had that figured out, no more problems.

Oh, it also helps if you make sure the water reservoir is full...:ermm: Someone does have to do that! It's become a night time ritual. Fill the Brita Filter container, then use the filtered water to fill the Keurig and cat water fountain. Fill the Brita, fill the water bottles...I use about 4 gallons of filtered water a day.

My mom bought me a Tassimo for Christmas! Not something that I would buy for myself, but definitely a cool gift. I hope that this machine has some staying power, I enjoyed the coffee and the ease in making it!

The winner in our house was the Keurig. Its seen a LOT of action today. I think I've filled the reservoir at least a half dozen times. I've enjoyed all the types I've tried so far, and I made maple with my K Cup thingy. Love this machine. It doesn't get easier than this.

The winner in our house was the Keurig. Its seen a LOT of action today. I think I've filled the reservoir at least a half dozen times. I've enjoyed all the types I've tried so far, and I made maple with my K Cup thingy. Love this machine. It doesn't get easier than this.

I still enjoy mine, just not as often as at first! Even my Mini at work is a joy, even though it doesn't have a reservoir and on demand hot, it's worth the little wait.

My mom gave us a pack of Gevalia cappuccino and it was really quite nice, quite bold and very smooth. It has the separate milk (UHT milk) disks, and the machine actually made a nice froth on top.

I can see this one doing a couple cups in the morning when Kate and I are running. I can also see it being my go to thing for a quick cup of tea.

I use filtered water in mine. It makes a perfect cup of tea, once I got the temp set correctly.

I've even just tucked a tea bag in to make a quick cop.

Sir Loin...the Keurig has a special thing so you can use your own coffee, and it is reusable, no waste at all.

Except you end of having to clean the darn thing, and if you're pouring coffee grounds down you sink drain you might as well invite the roto rooter man over for coffee.

Last edited:
Except you end of having to clean the darn thing, and if you're pouring coffee grounds down you sink drain you might as well invite the roto rooter man over for coffee.

I have never found that coffee grounds block a sink drain. My mum used to put coffee grounds down the drain on purpose. She believed that they absorbed grease. I don't know, maybe they do.

I've got no problem cleaning the little thing out. I'd have to clean out a regular coffee maker, so this is no different IMO. If you're worried about rinsing the grounds down the drain just tap it out into the garbage. Alternately, you can save your grounds to dig into your garden in the spring. Its excellent for your garden.

Hi Alex, I too just got the Keurig yesterday and am having fun with it. Unlike you I did not do my research and was a bit dissapointed that it does not do cappucino's. I then went online and read everything there is between the Keurig and the Tassimo and it seems that the winner is Keurig.

I have been playing around with it and also bought the K cup attachment but read online that it makes a very weak cup of coffee....but not to dispair... people have figured out ways to reuse the spent Kcups and use those in the attchment and the strength improves considerably.

I always used the single cup Melita filter and have found that the Keurig really does not make a s strong a cup of coffee as I would like....I am thinking maybe you have to make small cups to get it stronger but have not experimented yet.

I bought the hot chocolate and set it for a medium cup and found it a bit weak, so I will try the small cup next time....

I am enjoying it so far and now I think I will go down and make myself a French bold...see if it is strong!!!

Oh how will I sleep tonight!!! uh oh:LOL:

UPDATE!!!!

Just made a French Roast on medium size and it is excellent. Better than the Melita!!! OK I have to buy a few boxes of this!!

If you buy the cups marked "Extra Bold." they are really good in an 8-10 ounce size. They are specially made for the larger cups. Same with the Cocoa, those are made for a 4-6 ounce cup.

gabagoo said:
Hi Alex, I too just got the Keurig yesterday and am having fun with it. Unlike you I did not do my research and was a bit dissapointed that it does not do cappucino's. I then went online and read everything there is between the Keurig and the Tassimo and it seems that the winner is Keurig.

I have been playing around with it and also bought the K cup attachment but read online that it makes a very weak cup of coffee....but not to dispair... people have figured out ways to reuse the spent Kcups and use those in the attchment and the strength improves considerably.

I always used the single cup Melita filter and have found that the Keurig really does not make a s strong a cup of coffee as I would like....I am thinking maybe you have to make small cups to get it stronger but have not experimented yet.

I bought the hot chocolate and set it for a medium cup and found it a bit weak, so I will try the small cup next time....

I am enjoying it so far and now I think I will go down and make myself a French bold...see if it is strong!!!

Oh how will I sleep tonight!!! uh oh:LOL:

I got the tassimo as a gift and the big difference is, the machine determines the cup size by reading the bar code, so a strong bold coffee will be just that. It made effortless cappuccino, and tasty too. My mom included some coffee disks and chocolate syrup disks to make mocha.

The keurig seems to be the clear winner for variety, that's for sure, but seems to take more experimenting to get a good cup, and I noticed their models vary greatly, some letting you choose cup sizes and some not. The Tassimo is much more limited in variety of coffee, but can do espresso, latte, cappuccino, tea, cocoa, and more. I think if you could combine the best of both machines, you would have one heck of a brewer! I think that if you are going for a simple cup of coffee Keurig is the way to go, but if you want lots of different drinks, Tassimo does that well.

I got the tassimo as a gift and the big difference is, the machine determines the cup size by reading the bar code, so a strong bold coffee will be just that. It made effortless cappuccino, and tasty too. My mom included some coffee disks and chocolate syrup disks to make mocha.

The keurig seems to be the clear winner for variety, that's for sure, but seems to take more experimenting to get a good cup, and I noticed their models vary greatly, some letting you choose cup sizes and some not. The Tassimo is much more limited in variety of coffee, but can do espresso, latte, cappuccino, tea, cocoa, and more. I think if you could combine the best of both machines, you would have one heck of a brewer! I think that if you are going for a simple cup of coffee Keurig is the way to go, but if you want lots of different drinks, Tassimo does that well.

I guess that is why I am fine with the Keurig, I just like a simple coffee, a little sugar and half&half. My days of buying $4 coffees are done.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I guess that is why I am fine with the Keurig, I just like a simple coffee, a little sugar and half&half. My days of buying $4 coffees are done.

At first I was concerned with the lack of choices compared to keurig, but in reality, most are going to find one or two coffees that they like and stick to them, so all of those other varities mean a lot less. I used a Maxwell house disk this morning and liked it a lot, so I may just stick with that.

At first I was concerned with the lack of choices compared to keurig, but in reality, most are going to find one or two coffees that they like and stick to them, so all of those other varities mean a lot less. I used a Maxwell house disk this morning and liked it a lot, so I may just stick with that.

Cool, unfortunately I have about 8 "favorites." And yes, I can tell the difference and name them correctly:angel::LOL:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Cool, unfortunately I have about 8 "favorites." And yes, I can tell the difference and name them correctly:angel::LOL:

OMG 8! Lol I must be very low maintenance when it comes to coffee!

Back
Top Bottom