Tell me about frozen dinners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they used to call them tv dinners. Are any of them healthy to eat? I ate a Amy's enchilada frozen ddinner last night and it wasn't too bad but wasn't filling enough. What's your opinions?

I think we got a tad off-track, so, I think the bottom line is, you're better off making extra of whatever you make and just freeze that for future easy meals.

What I can remember most about TV dinners ( back in the day) is the mashed potatoes always developed that chewy layer on the top, and thwart chocolate pudding. I actually liked that chew layer. I think my mom primarily got the Salsbury steak one for us.

Larry! You must be my brudder from another mudder! I too loved the skin on the potatoes and the chocolate pudding. I actually don't like chocolate pudding in itself, but loved the skin!

Make pasties, then freeze them. When you need a meal, simply microwave them to heat them up. If you want desert too, put a snake of the raw dough onto the pasty dough before filling, with 2/3rds filled with savory filling, and on the other side of the snake, filled with pie filling of choice. Roll and seal edges, and bake., crimp edges. Perfect frozen entre IMHO. In Michigan's I.P., you can purchase the already made at most grocers.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Can´t say I´ve ever had a TV dinner; nor would I want to, but I can see the appeal. No-one cooks in your home, you´re in a hurry, you´re too tired to cook.
These days I think you´d be better off picking up your phone and ordering a take-away delivery. At least you know it was cooked fresh fairly recently!

The money you can save by cooking up a big meal and freezing it in individual meal portions ... Also healthier, taste better, and you can size the portions to your own needs.

The money you can save by cooking up a big meal and freezing it in individual meal portions ... Also healthier, taste better, and you can size the portions to your own needs.

I don't know about saving money! I do MIL's bills and I'll see her purchases for TV Dinners. She buys the kind that are under 3 bucks a pop. Some are only $2.25/each! Granted, they aren't healthy, but it is hard to convince a child of the Depression years that saving money isn't always a good thing?

I was complaining to a chef friend of mine a few years back,
about how my Mother doesn't cook for herself, but buys
all sorts of frozen-ready-to-eat meals.
I said that her choices were far too high in fat and sodium.

Her reply to me was "leave her alone! at least she's eating."
She then suggested that I make extra of everything that I
cook and portion out freezer meals for her.
"Don't say a word to her. Just put them in her freezer, that way
you want get any push-back from her."

A wise women indeed!

I was complaining to a chef friend of mine a few years back,
about how my Mother doesn't cook for herself, but buys
all sorts of frozen-ready-to-eat meals.
I said that her choices were far too high in fat and sodium.

Her reply to me was "leave her alone! at least she's eating."
She then suggested that I make extra of everything that I
cook and portion out freezer meals for her.
"Don't say a word to her. Just put them in her freezer, that way
you want get any push-back from her."

A wise women indeed!

We do have a meal service for MIL with good, healthy and ready to eat meals...but she still can't resist filling the freezer...and then complaining that her freezer is too full. Sigh. But, at least she's still willing and able to live on her own, drive herself to the store, salon or doctor's appointments.

Sunday nights we would get to eat tv dinners heated in the oven in tinfoil trays in front of the tv that was rolled out to the dinning room, some of us got to use tv trays as a tables too. We ate Salisbury steak or turkey, this was the best part The mashed potatoes seemed to be some weird foamy stuff and the carrots and peas would mix their nastiness into the foam potatoes and the napalm dessert called cherry cobbler. But it was a special treat since money was short.
The amount of salt and processing is too much for me as I've gotten older. We always have leftovers frozen for a quick meal and is fine for us.

"napalm dessert", what a brilliant description of those things that come in a crust and are just far too hot and good at retaining heat. I am familiar with both dessert and savoury versions of napalm food.

"napalm dessert", what a brilliant description of those things that come in a crust and are just far too hot and good at retaining heat. I am familiar with both dessert and savoury versions of napalm food.

Oh yeah. Ditto. Can we say burned tongue, complete with blisters?

Back
Top Bottom