Terry Fox's Mom Passed Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I don't know how relevant this is for a lot of you, but it is very sad news for me, the town I grew up in, my Province and my Country. Betty Fox passed away on Friday.

I went to school with Terry Fox in Port Coquitlam, BC and we were good friends. His family were customers of my father's Drug Store (where I worked) and I can't count how many times I shopped in the card and gift store where Mrs. Fox worked for years. When Terry went on his run, and then came home, I volunteered at the donation's office in Port Coquitlam and was able to speak with him a few weeks before he died.

Terry became known all over the world for his "Marathon of Hope" raising money for cancer research - having lost his leg at age 20 to cancer. He was only able to make it part of the way, but for a very shy young man he started at trend and was the (no pun intended) front-runner. Every year more than a million people of all ages around the globe enter the "Terry Fox Run". And his mom has traveled all over as an ambassador of the Terry Fox Foundation.

Last year, Betty joined 5 other distinguished Canadians brought in the Olympic Flag at the Winter Olympics here in Vancouver. She looked so proud and we were so proud of her.

This lady will be very missed in the hearts of those who knew her and those who came to love her through her and her son's good works.

Thanks for letting me share this.

Edit: a side note - earlier this year I made a goal to get in shape to do the 5 k walk at the Port Coquitlam Terry Fox Run in September. I wanted to go reacquaint myself with Mrs. Fox (and the Family) as it has been 30 years, and show them that Terry could still inspire me after all that time (he used to tease me that as an athlete I was a good poet!). I am going to work even harder now!

Last edited:
i'm sorry for your's and canada's loss, lp.

i certainly remember terry fox. i can picture that video of him hopping/running along a long stretch of road with his prosthetic leg.

if you make the run, i'd be happy to donate if you're doing that king of thing.

I knew you went to school with Terry, and I came to "know" and respect him after watching a movie about his life. Sad news. :(

Thanks, Bucky and Barbara.

Yes, Bucky, I will be taking pledges - I think we start near the end of July. That is very kind of you. If you are still interested then I will send you the details when I have them.

Oh, that famous step of his because known, of course, as the "Fox Trot"!:)

Back
Top Bottom