Texas Pecan Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
I made a few more tweaks to this one and tested it out today to get ready for the holidays. It's a keeper. Steen's 100% pure open kettle cane syrup is the star of this show. The difference is nothing short of amazing.

Texas Pecan Pie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yield:
2 pies

Ingredients:
2 9-inch deep dish pie shells
2/3 cups butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups Steens pure cane syrup
2 cups brown sugar
6 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 tablespoons dark rum
3 cups pecans

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Pierce dough with fork and bake the pie shells for 5 minutes. Turn off oven and set par-baked shells aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, salt, cane syrup, and brown sugar. Stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and sugar no longer crunches when back of spoon is pressed against side of saucepan, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Transfer to a mixer bowl and allow to cool thoroughly so that the eggs don't cook when added in the next step, about an hour. A chilled water bath can be used to accelerate the cooling process. Be very careful not to get any water in the mixture.

Add the eggs, vanilla, and rum and beat for 10 - 15 minutes at medium-high speed using whisk until fluffy smooth. Add the pecans and mix by hand until well incorporated. Pour the filling into the pie shells.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until set. Allow to cool completely on a pie rack before slicing.

That looks soooo good. I think I will make them and take 'em to work...I live vicariously through making other's eat food that I can't have!

Copied and pasted!

I always use Steen's for Pecan and Walnut Pies. Used to have to get New Orleans friends to send it to me, but now it's easily available on line. It's also good for sticky buns. :)

I use corn syrup in pecan pies. If I used cane syrup in its place, would I use the same amount? Not sure if they have the same sweetness measure for measure.

Steen's gives a kind of caramelly flavor, but I am VERY allergic to corn syrup (any highly refined corn product) so I can't use it in anything.

I made a pecan pie with Pure, grade-b maple syrup. It was really great. I've also made the standard pecan pies, sometimes with light corn syrup, and sometimes with the dark version. But the maple syrup gave the pie a richness that couldn't be matched by any kind of corn syrup. I hope you're not allergic to maple syrup. And I hope this helps.

Oh, and Forty-Caliber, your recipe looks amazing. I may just have to go on-line and purchase some Steen's Cane syrup. Thanks for the recipe.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE maple syrup, but not in my Pecan Pie. OTOH, Walnut Pie is another story altogether. Would not make that without Maple Syrup. :)

Andy, my Walnut Pie is the same recipe as my pecan pie, but with walnuts and Maple syrup.

Walnut Pie

makes one 9-inch pie

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup grade “B” maple syrup (grade “C” works well, too – grade “A” is too mild)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
A pinch of sea salt
3 extra-large eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups walnut pieces

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix sugar, syrup, butter and salt. Bring to a boil. Beat eggs, and add nuts. Stir just a little of the hot syrup into the eggs to warm them, then pour the egg mixture into the hot syrup RAPIDLY to avoid ending up with scrambled eggs. Pour into pie shell.

2. Bake for 40-45 minutes. The center of the pie will still appear soft and “unset.”

Andy, my Walnut Pie is the same recipe as my pecan pie, but with walnuts and Maple syrup.

Having worked in an in-store bakery for a number of years and hand icing millions of maple bars and persians, I can barely stand the smell of maple. But, it has been quite a few years (20) since I did that and I have discovered the delightful taste of pure maple syrup. I still don't like the smell of the maple icing on donuts. I'm going to try this pie, copied and pasted!:)

Back
Top Bottom