Thanksgiving 2008 - Menu/Dinner Plans/Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
Thanksgiving is closely approaching - 10 more days & counting down. What's on your Menu, Dinner Plans & fave recipes?

This year a friend invited me to a Country Club/something-or-other Inn, where we will dine outside. I'm thinking about a small dinner party a few days after or around Christmas. I would like to try something different - other than the usual traditional dishes. So far, I'm thinking about a (stuffed) turkey breast en croute - using dough rather than puff pastry.

Here is one I have in mind - except using a turkey breast:

Chicken en Croute with Salt, Herbs, and Boursin
Boursin Cheese

Usually, I like the canned cranberry sauce, but this year I would like to try a recipe with cranberries, Grand Marnier, clementines & almonds.

Have not tried persimmons, but would like to try to make a persimmon salad of sorts.

Have ordered Chesapeake crab cakes (on line) for an appetizer.

Still working on my plan. Tell us about your dinner plans, menu & recipes.

Our dinner menu is a tradition I don't mess with too much. But our apps are always different, w/shrimp always on the app menu. We'll do turkey breast and ham (don't like to mess with the big bird anymore), my cranberry sauce (have to have that!) with red wine, ginger, golden raisens, etc., mashed tators with carmlized onions and white cheddar. Instead of sauteed bacon and onion in the green beans I'll switch with Pancetta and shallots. I may sub my pumpkin pie crust with a gingersnap graham cracker crust.

Change of plans. I'm going to Pytns' Place. ;) I'm with you on cooking the big bird, since it's only me. Unless I have a bunch coming. Your menu sounds yummy!

Cara - long time no see. Where ya been, who'd ya see, whadda know? LOL. Miss that (Hungry Like A) Wolf avatar. :cool:

Luvs2, great recipe. Didn't know if I should reply here or there. Very similar. Hoping I can find some clementines, or will play with your recipe & mine -combine the two. Thanks for sharing.

this year will be a bit hard .. we will be in the process of moving ..
but we will be having dinner at my moms .. where i will do the cooking ..

Just Paul I and mom for dinner this year
so I'm trying to keep it simple.

small bird
creamy sprouts
mashed taters
gravy
stuffing
and a salad of some kind.

David and Shannon will join us for dessert which will be
Apple pie with vanilla ice cream
or pecan pie

We're going to my MIL's. We talked about food at work today.
She'll do the bird, stuffing, potatoes, corn pudding and a pumpkin pie.
She asked if I'd make some rolls.
I think we need green bean casserole too!
And another dessert. I dont care for pumpkin pie.

We're going to my MIL's. We talked about food at work today.
She'll do the bird, stuffing, potatoes, corn pudding and a pumpkin pie.
She asked if I'd make some rolls.
I think we need green bean casserole too!
And another dessert. I dont care for pumpkin pie.

Apple pie is a must for our thanksgiving!!!

It's just me and the boyfriend for Thanksgiving so nothing fancy. Depending on what the store has in stock I feel like making a cornish hen with stuffin (I'll do a turkey breast if they are out), my sweet onion casserole, green bean casserole, and a recipe for double baked sweet potatoes I saw on food network. There will be plenty of leftovers for just the 2 of us.

Thanksgiving is closely approaching - 10 more days & counting down. What's on your Menu, Dinner Plans & fave recipes?

This year a friend invited me to a Country Club/something-or-other Inn, where we will dine outside. I'm thinking about a small dinner party a few days after or around Christmas. I would like to try something different - other than the usual traditional dishes. So far, I'm thinking about a (stuffed) turkey breast en croute - using dough rather than puff pastry.

Here is one I have in mind - except using a turkey breast:

Chicken en Croute with Salt, Herbs, and Boursin
Boursin Cheese

Usually, I like the canned cranberry sauce, but this year I would like to try a recipe with cranberries, Grand Marnier, clementines & almonds.

Have not tried persimmons, but would like to try to make a persimmon salad of sorts.

Have ordered Chesapeake crab cakes (on line) for an appetizer.

Still working on my plan. Tell us about your dinner plans, menu & recipes.

I just bought 2 kinds of Boursin cheese today. That chicken recipe sounds good! Being hubby and I are staying home this year, we really don't have any plans. We usually went to my sister's but she and her family are going to visit her son and daughter in law this year.

Lol, Amy, I can't figure out how to isolate and quote one sentence out of your post, but . . . your welcome to come, although I don't think we would be dining outside!

Our dinner menu is a tradition I don't mess with too much. But our apps are always different, w/shrimp always on the app menu. We'll do turkey breast and ham (don't like to mess with the big bird anymore), my cranberry sauce (have to have that!) with red wine, ginger, golden raisens, etc., mashed tators with carmlized onions and white cheddar. Instead of sauteed bacon and onion in the green beans I'll switch with Pancetta and shallots. I may sub my pumpkin pie crust with a gingersnap graham cracker crust.

:) The gingersnap graham cracker crust sounds wonderful I happen to love pumpin pie. Can you share recipe? Please

As I think I have posted before - When we first moved to Mexico, we decided to make a new Thanksgiving tradition for our new life in a new place - and somehow the warm and sunny weather just did not lend itself to a heavy turkey dinner. So we decided to make our own tamales, because we love them so much. This will be our third year making tamales, and we have invited friends to join us (hmm, I think about a dozen people altogether). We'll start with pina coladas and shrimp tostadas, then have two kinds of tamales: pork with chiles verde and corn w/cheese and poblanos. Rice, vegetable "budin" (mixture of vegetables with cream and chiles), fruit salad, and pumpkin flan for dessert.

DD will be here to help this year, and we do make wonderful tamales, although they don't always LOOK beautiful.. Like Amy, we will be dining outside, on our back patio.

:) I love Thanksgiving I pretty much stick to the same menu
Turkey with gravy
New England chestnut stuffing
Apple Onion stuffing
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Homemade Cranberry sauce
Green salad with glazed pecans, Granny Smith apple slices, and feta with a Sherry Shallot Vinaigrette
Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream
Those funky soft rolls they sell during the Holidays that are half baked. I know I know I can make better but I love them and it's a childhood thing and so I must have them with lots of butter.;)

It's just me and DH but I'm making it anyway I make enough stuffing to freeze to have with chicken, pork etc later in fact I make the stuffings ahead put in different sizes of ziplocs and freeze until Thanksgiving. I'm quite happy to eat the leftovers the next couple of days. I will also freeze turkey carcass with a good bit of meat to use another time.

Just the two of us, this year, but we're doing a small turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied sweets, roasted sprouts, homemade cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. We enjoy the leftovers and the carcus will make a delicious pot of soup at a later time.

Back
Top Bottom