That One Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
What is that one dish that you've never made, but have really wanted to learn how?

For me, it's souffles. I've had them, but never made them. Probably because of the intimidation factor.
However, Mish just posted a coffee/chocolate souflee that sounds so delish! Maybe I'll have to try it out.

This is the first souffle recipe I ever tried. I liked it because it only made two single-serving ones so it wasn't a huge waste of ingredients if it was bad. I made some adjustments to the original recipe (thanks to elf cheering me on!) and it turned out great! Good for a nice, romantic dinner for 2 (or a hungry night alone! :LOL: )

Chocolate Chile Soufflés

1/4 cup sugar plus additional for coating gratin dishes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 large egg yolk
2 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter two 3/4 cup gratin dishes and coat with additional sugar, shaking out excess.

In a small bowl blend together 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, butter and a pinch salt until mixture forms into small pellets.

In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil and whisk in flour mixture, chocolate and cayenne. Cook mixture over moderate heat, whisking until thickened, about 15 seconds and cool 30 seconds.

In a bowl, whisk yolk lightly and whisk into chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, a little at a time, until meringue holds stiff peaks. Fold in remaining meringue gently but thoroughly.

Divide soufflé batter between gratin dishes and put on a baking sheet. Bake chocolate soufflés in middle of oven for 15 minutes or until puffed. Serve immediately.

Makes 2 soufflés

OK I don't know if mine really counts as it is not a dish really. My one dish would be whole chickens or turkey. Not because I don't know how to cook them, but because I can't carve. I have tried, but never get it right. I always end up mutilating the bird. Thankfully I have only done it for my DW and myself so we just use our forks and dig into the bird itself once I try and fail at carving it. I will someday get my dad to teach me as he does a fantastic job at carving.

I'm right there with you GB!! I'm AWFUL at carving a turkey, although I am getting better. Alton Brown had a decent segment on it. It's a little unorthodox compared to the typical Norman Rockwell type carving you see in commercials for Butterball - but it works for me!

Of course, all this trouble carving comes from my subscriptions to the Tim "The Toolman" Taylor school of thought. Problem is Sheila won't let me have a chainsaw at the dinner table.... :angel:

John

Did you see Ramsay's kitchen nightmares last night?
One of the restaurants he "overhauled" included having a whole roasted chicken on the menu, and when the waitress/waiter brought it out, it was their job to carve it at the table, in front of the guests!!! Talk about a mess! They finally got it, though, much to Ramsay's pleasure.

I finally mastered the Thanksgiving Bird, due to the fact that I cook it in my big giant roaster. I literally pull the bones out without problem and then I just slice the meat!

Heck, I'm so dumb I'll try just about anything at least two or three times ... but pâte à choux freaks me out for some reason! It's really simple ... but something about it really intimidates me. That and some English "puddings" ....

I love mussels cooked in garlic and wine, but have never tried cooking them myself (due to a previous incident with a bucket of live clams....). Same goes for lobster - love it, but I don't think I could bear to cook one. I've never tried a souffle, but I will one day - there are some recipes for souffles that won't sink, and some for souffles that are supposed to sink....so I reckon that makes it easier LOL!

Paint.

This one's interesting for me. Being a "pro", "in the biz", there's not many things I haven't done. About the only thing that comes to mind, is making a curry, from scratch. I'd like to give that a shot, or several, attempts.

I'm not worried so much about not cooking it right, as techniques don't scare me. However, what I am concerned with, is "will my family eat it?"

I'm thinking I may have to make some experimental stuff for lunch, when the kids are in school.

This question kind of stumped me for the same reason as Allen...there hasn't been too many things that I haven't made, or that I've wanted to make but never tried. Escabeche used to be on that list but I started doing it last year. Oh...puffer fish. I've eaten it, but I don't know how to remove the poison sac. That would be something to learn to do.

i want to try to order some sushi-grade fish and make my own sushi, but i'm not so sure i wouldn't botch it.

Michael in FtW said:
pâte à choux

Oh Michael - you are right - they are sooooo easy it's scary!!!! The only thing you have to do for sure is make a slit in them so they don't deflate. Let them cool completely, then bag them. I make this great chicken salad to put in them (I know, everyone says thier chicken salad is great!). Just follow the directions i.e., one egg incorporated before you add the next one - you really need to try this. Do some with chicken salad and then save some for some custard drizzled with chocolate (mix Gheridelli (sp) chocolate with some coffee and heat until melted and put in squeeze bottle. You'll kick yourself for waiting so long!!.

I'm scared to make bread - I don't want to take the time to study it, I just want someone to show me. I'm one of those people that would rather take a class than read about it.

Ok elf - you help me over my choux phobia and I'll help you get started with a simple bread.

IronChef - you gret licensed, certified, and 30-years experience with a minimum of 3,000 customers without a fatality ... maybe then I'll try your fugu. Of course, you have to try it first in front of me before I try it ...

Last edited:
I agree with Michael - choux pastry freaks me out - never tried it (will one day, though). It has to be so LIGHT - I think that's what scares me. As for English puddings - what feaks you about these. The British (love 'em) aren't the most imposing of chefs :ROFLMAO: Their recipes are pretty bland & ordinary (I know, I was raised on them!)SK

Oh bread??!! Ask me ANYTHING! I never buy bread - make all my own loaves, rolls, breadsticks & pizza bases (not by machine but hand). Got to admit I feel VERY superior in this field - never had a failure. I also make the biga for the bread & use left-over whey from yoghurt or cheese making in it. Ask me anything!!!!!!! I would love to help someone after all the help I received today.

Cheers SK :chef: :chef: :chef:

surfrkim said:
Oh bread??!! Ask me ANYTHING! I never buy bread - make all my own loaves, rolls, breadsticks & pizza bases (not by machine but hand). Got to admit I feel VERY superior in this field - never had a failure. I also make the biga for the bread & use left-over whey from yoghurt or cheese making in it. Ask me anything!!!!!!! I would love to help someone after all the help I received today.

Cheers SK :chef: :chef: :chef:

i have a question! if a recipe calls for a packet of dry yeast, how much cake yeast do i sub out for that?
thanks!

One sachet (here that is equal to 7 grams of dry yeast) equals about 15 grams fresh or compressed yeast. I have never used fresh yeast but, from what I have read & spoken to people who have used it, a general rule of thumb is to double the dry yeast rate for fresh - ie 10g dry yeast equates to 20g of fresh etc. Hope that helps.

SK

Back
Top Bottom