The best BBQ foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I take the chicken off of the heat once it is almost done, put it to the side and close the lid, then sauce a few times while letting it finish with the lid closed. This allows me to add a good sopping without overcooking anything. This, I find helps crisp up the skin a bit more, which we all love. It also tones down a bit of the tang of the vinegar....

The few times I have had Smoked Chicken, while tasty throughout, I wish the smoker would have moved the bird over to a grill to finish over direct higher heat and Crisp the skin. No amount of sauce can cover the chewiness.

I like to paint sauce a few times as the chicken is nearly finished. Give it a couple coats rather than one heavy coating.

The few times I have had Smoked Chicken, while tasty throughout, I wish the smoker would have moved the bird over to a grill to finish over direct higher heat and Crisp the skin. No amount of sauce can cover the chewiness.

I like to paint sauce a few times as the chicken is nearly finished. Give it a couple coats rather than one heavy coating.

Do you smoke chicken low and slow as you would other meats? I've found smoking a chicken at higher temps gives you skin texture closer to normal.

I agree Andy.

I am Looking specific at my favorite BBQ take out place. Terrific flavored chicken. Smoked with cherry and hickory woods. Skin as soft as a baby's derriere I have to crisp it in the oven at about 400 until the skin crisps up. I have to remember to order their sauce separate /on the side. I hate remembering things. DxW loves their chicken and I like their ribs. I am Looking at a friend who has a big smoker and needs to finish it beyond just the all day smoking time. I Think it takes this extra step to transform good flavor to Great Tasting.

I make perfectly good chicken on my Weber all the time. Unfortunately, as you know, grilling season is short.

Grilling season is short? Don't tell that to Chief. He shovels a path to his car and then one to his Weber. :)

Grilling season is short? Don't tell that to Chief. He shovels a path to his car and then one to his Weber. :)

Sadly, this year's emormous snowfall beat me. I kept the Webber cleared until the middle of January. First year that I haven't kept it clear all winter. But don't worry. I won't let it happen again.;)

Crispy skin is one reason we do not use sauce while its cooking on the grill.
We serve the BBQ sauce at the table.
I bought some of those plastic squeeze bottles. Filled one with BBQ sauce and thats how it get applied.

I found another really cool way to use the plastic squirt bottles. Sour cream.
No more fussing with a spoon or flat knife trying to apply sour cream to potato's, taco's or any other food.
Just squeeze it on like you would squeeze ketchup.

You can also cut the tip for a larger opening and use it for Riccotta cheese.
So much easier to make lasagna, when you can squirt the Ricotta instead of trying to smear it on. Much neater.
Its faster and reusable unlike a piping bag.

I found another really cool way to use the plastic squirt bottles. Sour cream.
No more fussing with a spoon or flat knife trying to apply sour cream to potato's, taco's or any other food.

So much easier to make lasagna, when you can squirt the Ricotta instead of trying to smear it on. Much neater.

Great ideas!! Thanks. I've always tried to remember to ''dedicate" a spoon for the sour cream. This would be a better idea.

...I found another really cool way to use the plastic squirt bottles. Sour cream.

I guess if you were in a situation where you would be squirting a lot of sour cream, it would be worth it. For other uses, you're trading off "fussing with" a spoon with the effort to fill the squeeze bottle.

As for ricotta, I think a plastic bag with a corner cut off would actually work better. Different strokes...

Great ideas!! Thanks. I've always tried to remember to ''dedicate" a spoon for the sour cream. This would be a better idea.

Make it easy on yourself. When you buy the sour cream, put it in the squeeze bottle before you need it.
It will be there ready for you, when you need it.

I guess if you were in a situation where you would be squirting a lot of sour cream, it would be worth it. For other uses, you're trading off "fussing with" a spoon with the effort to fill the squeeze bottle.

As for ricotta, I think a plastic bag with a corner cut off would actually work better. Different strokes...

See above post.
The sour cream is also stored in the squeeze bottle. So it works fine for one taco or 10 taco's. And its always at the ready in the fridge. Like ketchup is.

As for the ricotta cheese. I used to pipe it on the lasagna as it made it much simpler than trying to smear it over the casserole.
But since it works well for stuffed shells too, we decide to just use the squirt bottle method. You do have to get it in the bottle. So there is some effort. A butter knife works very well.
It is also at the ready for any dish we need it for.

But since it works well for stuffed shells too, we decide to just use the squirt bottle method.

Oooo. I haven't made stuffed shells in eons. I like this idea or using a tipped off bag. I have always used a spoon to try and fill, and you know, handling cooked shells too much results in broken shells. Good Ideas. I might try that with sour cream, more evenly served on tacos.

But since it works well for stuffed shells too, we decide to just use the squirt bottle method.

Oooo. I haven't made stuffed shells in eons. I like this idea or using a tipped off bag. I have always used a spoon to try and fill, and you know, handling cooked shells too much results in broken shells. Good Ideas. I might try that with sour cream, more evenly served on tacos.

I used to pipe these things. But it can be messy and you have two extra steps.
The key is to store these things in the plastic squirt bottles so its there and ready to be used when you need it.

Its great to be able to squirt sour cream than trying to apply it with a spoon or knife. No spoon or knife to wash either.

I prefer Crema for SW and Mexican. The brand I buy comes in a plastic bottle, so next time I get some, I'll see if the top to a squirt bottle will fit it.

Bones, doesn't the sour cream ever separate in the squeeze bottle?
The sour cream I like is pretty thick, but it still separates sometimes. I don't think I could shake it like a bottle of ketchup or mustard to mix it back up.

That said, I use whatever utensil I am eating dinner with to dollop out the sour cream. I don't have an extra spoon or fork to wash that way.

I do like the squeeze bottle idea if I was having guests and we were all making our own tacos. I would fill it right before needed in case I had to stir the SC.

Bones, doesn't the sour cream ever separate in the squeeze bottle?
The sour cream I like is pretty thick, but it still separates sometimes. I don't think I could shake it like a bottle of ketchup or mustard to mix it back up.

That said, I use whatever utensil I am eating dinner with to dollop out the sour cream. I don't have an extra spoon or fork to wash that way.

I do like the squeeze bottle idea if I was having guests and we were all making our own tacos. I would fill it right before needed in case I had to stir the SC.

Yes, it will separate some in the bottle just as it does in the container it comes in. In fact I was waiting for this question.
I just open the squirt bottle and pour out the liquid on top.
You only have to do this if you have not used it in a while.
But you are correct. The liquid does still come to the top, but is very easily poured off.

The only reason we tried this was because of burritos and taco's.
We got the idea from piping ricotta onto lasagna.
Now, when we need some sour cream, like for baked potato's, its just a squeeze instead of a spoon.
Not a big deal, but every step I take away from the dish, makes my life and the appearance of the dish much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom