The BEST beef! What's your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbourman

Assistant Cook
I had my first Wago Beef Cheeseburger yesterday. It was, by far, the best I've eaten. Anyone else ever try Wago? Its a Japanese beef. The restaurant uses the same beef that sells for $75 a steak in New York.

Also, I couldn't find any, .....can anyone find a site online that has information about Wago Beef please?

Thanks!

Sorry barbourman, I have only ever heard of Kobe beef from Japan. Sorry I can't help, but welcome to the site!

Wagyu literally means Japanese cattle. Wagyu beef surpasses US standards for marbled beef, which is why it so good. Kobe beef is a type of Wagyu, it has to be produced in a specific manner to be Kobe beef. There are other types of Wagyu including Matsuzaka and Omi.

I think most men in this forum (and some of us ladies) would be quite happy to be reincarnated as Kobe cows (even though we'd get eaten eventually) as they are massaged with beer through their lifespan. Lucky cows.

I can think of things I would rather be massaged with. Beer is strictly for internal consumption.

As for the beef...I have a friend who recently returned from Japan, and says that Kobe beef is highly overrated. She prefers the home grown variety. That made me happy as I will likely never get to Japan and will always eat Alberta beef.

I would have to really disagree that it would make a better burger then a USDA prime strip burger.

Wago is what the market is calling Wagyu. Guys and gals, the burger REALLY was way better than any burger I've ever had. I had it for that supper, and for the lunch the next day.

Bangbang said:
USDA Prime

I think this is the thing to look for. Its really all about the feed for meat flavor, and the enviroment for marbleing. In todays market with the feed pens they all get a precise diet anymore, and they stay stationary for good marbeling as well. Its almost a exact science today. I have tried most of all the beef "brands" but they are not worth there salt compared to a dry aged USDA Prime. Granted though I am not rich and can rarely afford the stuff, but I can and do splurge once and awhile. You all should as well, it is well worth it ( unless you eat your steak welldone :oops: )

Also if you can find it, everyone should try USDA Prime beef from Niman Ranch in California.

You've seen the commercial..."Cows are happier in Califoria" or something to that effect. But the point is, Niman Ranch beef is GOOOOD!!

Not like you guys will be getting any these days, but Alberta beef blows USDA prime out of the water. (Heeheeheehee! I love to stir the pot!) I hear in Japan it ranks right up there with the Kobe beef price wise. (Sushi...where is your couch...I think I need it!! Tanis...back me up girlfriend!)

Oh dear Alix!!! If you havent noticed its ALL about ALBERTA BEEF!!! Right from the get go...to heck with USDA!!!

Alix said:
Not like you guys will be getting any these days, but Alberta beef blows USDA prime out of the water. (Heeheeheehee! I love to stir the pot!) I hear in Japan it ranks right up there with the Kobe beef price wise. (Sushi...where is your couch...I think I need it!! Tanis...back me up girlfriend!)

I would like to go to Windsor and check that beef out. I am just 35 minutes from the bridge but it is a real hassle since 9/11. I went alot before that. They also search me every time now. I got busted with "brass knuckles" once and now they treat me pretty bad.

When I go up to Vancouver in October I'll be sure to try some Alberta beef and compare it to Niman Ranch USDA Prime. Since I'll be in California around that time as well, I should be able to do an accurate taste test.

Hey ironchef...do they still serve beef in California? I realize that sounds facetious and I don't mean it that way...I am honestly asking. We were at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and a groomsman from LA was HORRIFIED that the entree was beef. He said that NO ONE eats beef in California any more. He didn't appear to be a nut case, just an average joe so I am wondering if you will be able to get your Niman Ranch beef. I hope you can do an accurate taste test. If you get to Alberta, come to Edmonton and I will grill you a rib steak to die for. I am sure Tanis will accomodate you if you get to her neck of the woods too. Bangbang...doubt you will find Alberta beef in Ontario...they farm their own cattle out there and things Western are not in good favour at the moment. Come over here though...we'll serve you a slab o'beef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom