The Continuing Saga of the Neighborhood Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I have already told you about the boxer pup who makes himself at home in our house whenever he gets the chance. I also mentioned the other two dogs. They are brothers--I call them Big Guy and Little Guy. I told James that I would love to have Little Guy (I'd love them both, but we barely have room for us and Cubbie, let alone even one more dog).

Anyway, early this afternoon I took Cubbie out to go potty and to get some air. We noticed Little Guy sleeping by the area where Cubbie is sometimes tied out. He rolled over on his back when we got near. I noticed that he had a bad gash under his leg, right where his leg joins his body. It is pretty bad--I could see muscle. I went over and told his owner about it. He said (or at least implied--I can't remember) that he would take care of it. Not long after that a friend came by and he left. He told me that his niece is supposed to take him, but she still hasn't.

A little while ago I decided that I needed to do something. Both Big Guy and Little Guy were over at our neighbors' house lying near their dogs. When they saw me they came to see me, Little Guy limping. I picked him up (he's pretty heavy for a "Little Guy!" lol) and brought him in the house. I put him in James's chair, where I hoped he would settle in, and planned to clean his wound and put something on it. His tail never stopped wagging! He stayed in the chair while I took a few pictures of him, and while Cubbie ministered to his wound a little. Then I turned the TV back on (I had paused it while I was out getting him). It scared him to death and he jumped out of the chair! I don't think he has ever been in a house before.

Cubbie licked his wounds a little more, and then the nut (remember Cubbie is young--a year and a month) tried to mount Little Guy. Two problems here Cubbie! Little Guy is a boy, and Little Guy's head isn't exactly the right end! Sheesh!

Everyone has settled in now--Cubbie is asleep in James's chair, and Little Guy is asleep on the floor near him. I'm going to wait until he is rested and more used to being in here to look at his wound.

You would love Little Guy. He is so timid and sweet--he has kind of a Stan Laurel-ish quality about him.

I honestly don't know if I will be able to leave him in the house once he wakes up and gets all peppy, since he may end up chewing stuff. We lost a lot of stuff when we got Cubbie and he went through that stage. But I will see how it goes.

:)Barbara

Attachments

• Little Guy 01-22-08 001.jpg
    Little Guy 01-22-08 001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Little Guy 01-22-08 002.jpg
    Little Guy 01-22-08 002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Little Guy 01-22-08 003.jpg
    Little Guy 01-22-08 003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 160
I'd have a REAL hard time not turning these people in with their dog hurt and them doing NOTHING to take care of it.

What a sweet thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a cutie!!!!!! You're great for doing what you can for the little guy. It's a pitty that your neighbor (not saying he's a totally bad person, I don't know him) will not attend to his wound. I'd be at the ER vet if Aspen or Cricket had a gash anywhere on them, especially showing muscle. I wonder what happenned to him? Hope everything turns out ok.

He is a darling dog.

I'd have grave difficulty with this myself. I don't understand why people have dogs if they don't take care of them. :mad:

I get so sad when I see a dog tied up in a backyard.

James doesn't want to start anything with the neighbors, since we live in a small quiet neighborhood and for the most part there are no problems. James doesn't know about Little Guy's leg yet. I really don't understand how people could just let innocent little animals wander around on their own all the time. Puppies need love too.

He is a darling dog.

I'd have grave difficulty with this myself. I don't understand why people have dogs if they don't take care of them. :mad:

I get so sad when I see a dog tied up in their backyard.
We do have to tie our dog out when we go somewhere (unless we are able to take him with us), and sometimes I put him on his cable for some air and so he can play with the dogs, but he is indoors more than out. We are hoping to be able to get a fence someday.

Awww, he's adorable! And I'm thinking he may have found a new home. (You gonna pick out James's new chair this weekend?:LOL:)
LOL James is a little sore about that subject right now! He said his chair smells like dogs! He does love them though.

What a cutie!!!!!! You're great for doing what you can for the little guy. It's a pitty that your neighbor (not saying he's a totally bad person, I don't know him) will not attend to his wound. I'd be at the ER vet if Aspen or Cricket had a gash anywhere on them, especially showing muscle. I wonder what happenned to him? Hope everything turns out ok.
I can't honestly say that his owner wouldn't do something for him later, but I am like you. I would have done something right then. He seems like a nice guy--some people just shouldn't have pets.

Oh, that was a gross generalization and I'm sorry.

Everyday I pass by a dog that is tied to his dog house with a 5' tether. That is the treatment (or lack thereof) that gets my heart in knots.

Later? Like when? I'd have turned them in on the spot for neglecting their animals. That kind of stuff piiii.... err, ticks me off. Big Time.

I have a customer who kept her neighbor's dog. She said she couldn't stand to see him neglected anymore, so she went over and took him. Her neighbor didn't even care. The dog is better off for it, too.

And here's your neighbor letting un unneutered male run loose... that opens up a whole other can of worm. Keep him Barbara, or help place him with someone you know will love him and take care of him.

Last edited:
No need to apologize poached pear! I know what you mean. I see a lot of dogs who are tied out and no one ever pays any attention to them. Dogs need attention.

Later? Like when? I'd have turned them in on the spot for neglecting their animals. That kind of stuff piiii.... err, ticks me off. Big Time.

I have a customer who kept her neighbor's dog. She said she couldn't stand to see him neglected anymore, so she went over and took him. Her
I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt--but I agree. Something needed to be done right then. From what I have heard, the animal control guy in this county isn't that caring about animals. Of course, I don't know about that either. I'd rather take care of his leg myself and know he is being taken care of than risk him getting thrown in a shelter. We do have a privately owned no-kill shelter in the county that takes care of animals, and we have brought them dogs or cats that have been abandoned on roads in the middle of nowhere.

If James says we can keep him, I will. My other option (something we have thought about doing for awhile) would be to bring him to the no-kill shelter, as they would take care of him and find a home for him. But I love the little sweetie. Cubbie gets along well with him, and he loves Cubbie too. I'm not sure how he will be with the cats. He and his brother chase cats outside, and I think they have killed squirrels. One of our cats is about to have babies.

Last edited:
The neighbor who lives behind us brought home a boxer puppy this w/end and chained it up in the yard. It lives outside 24/7 with only a tiny plastic dog house that isn't even a dog house, it is one of their kids toys. No one interacts with it. No one walks it, pets it or pays attention to it. Today I typed up a note that said they need put their dog up at night when it gets cold (it was zero here last night) and if they don't I'm calling animal control. I'm calling animal control tomorrow.
It makes so so angry and upset that people have dogs but do not take care of them. Why bother having one?!

The neighbor who lives behind us brought home a boxer puppy this w/end and chained it up in the yard. It lives outside 24/7 with only a tiny plastic dog house that isn't even a dog house, it is one of their kids toys. No one interacts with it. No one walks it, pets it or pays attention to it. Today I typed up a note that said they need put their dog up at night when it gets cold (it was zero here last night) and if they don't I'm calling animal control. I'm calling animal control tomorrow.
It makes so so angry and upset that people have dogs but do not take care of them. Why bother having one?!
Defintely too cold for a puppy. I'm glad you are taking action.

Maybe I should have called animal control about this one, but my first thought was taking care of his wound. Plus I really love him and want some control in what happens to him.

I hate it to.What the heck is wrong with people? Good for you Toots for fixing to call the authorities, if you dont it will eat at you every day. It's really hard to get these poor animals help as the people that have them just dont get it and then they get mad at you for trying to help.I really hope the pup gets a better living situation real soon. I hope they are at least feeding and watering it and it has a blanket or something.

One of the really difficult things about living in Mexico is that Mexicans generally do not regard their animals in the same way we do. Our next door neighbors are really nice people and wonderful neighbors, but they leave their dogs outside all the time, running loose (no leash laws here). We had their last dog spayed for them - she was our dogs' mama. When we adopted our puppies a year and a half ago, they were so sick, they were near death from worms and tick infections. They are the only survivors of a litter of 10, and are now big strong dogs in terrific health (Dagwood and Blondie). We have a large walled lot that is gated, so they are safe. A few months ago, the mama dog disappeared - probably hit by a car. Then last week, their other little dog disappeared. In the meantime they have a new puppy - we have already arranged to have her spayed and we feed her twice a day, because they seldom feed her. She is a sweet thing, but her chances of survival are slim to none living on the street. It just breaks my heart, and is very hard to understand.

Well, well, can I say something.
I do not know those people, but I know my situation.
I don't know how else to say this, I'm dirt poor.
I live with 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 birds though.
So here it's how it usually goes.
I cook for my animals, because I do not believe in ANY commercial food (they are BAD!!)
I usually eat bread and cheese and jalapenos (and it is ok, I do not want to cook for only myself anyway)
I, on the other hand, can not always afford to take any of them to the vet's.
So, I try to treat whatever, whenever in a homeopathic way, as long as I can.
Not to mention, one of my dogs has serious allergy problems, but it was NOT the vet who figured it out.
I did all the research and figured it out myself.
Until then I paid big bucks for shampoos, pills, whatever, and nothing worked.
When I finally figured out it was food related, the vet wanted to sell me commercial food with the VERY ingredient in it he is allergic to!
So what do you think?!

In any case, that neighbour may not be a bad guy you know. Just poor.

Mitmondol, I'm not sure if you're referring to my neighbor or Barbara's neighbor, or Toots' neighbor, but I assure you that our neighbor IS poor. He and his wife both work 5 and 1/2 days a week and have two small children under five. They are great parents and good neighbors - it's just that they have little time and precious few resources to spend on a dog. Veterinary care is very inexpensive here and is of very high quality, but buying food and paying for gas and utilities has to come first.

Barbara L., you have a good heart, and that dog seems like a sweetie. Maybe you could approach the neighbor as a friend and offer to take the dog to the vet as a favor? And also ask if you can get him neutered? This is not easy to do without sounding critical, so you'd just have to play it by ear....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom