"The fear of missing out".. how bad it is to our world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought FOMO was buying too much of something because you were afraid it might not be there later - either the brand or style would go away, or the item might sell out in your area, or be banned (tobacco, ammunition). In severe cases, you would buy enough to last until years after you will probably be dead.

Perhaps you are very wise and frugal with most purchases, but you still have some FOMO items.

It differs from OCD purchases - I had a friend who had boxes and boxes of argyle socks. If he tossed each pair after a week, he'd still have new ones after he died.

FOMO Examples: ammunition, tobacco, a style of shoe you like, hard-to-find whiskey. The list goes on and on.

Well stated, GG.

My personal feeling is that, overall, social media has done more bad than good.

I'd hate to believe that my life successes or failures were based upon what others have written in a social platform.

Ross
I disagree. I'm pretty active on social media and, ignoring the political debates, overall it's been a good experience. I became a member of a community of women website designers and developers in the late '90s, when the industry was dominated by men, through a mailing list. Sharing our experiences and problems, getting mentoring and solutions, and meeting each other occasionally at conferences had a huge impact on the careers of many of us. There were so few of us at the time that it was fairly rare that we had peers in our own workplaces, so being able to communicate online was critical. Lots of those women - most of whom I've never met in person - are still some of my favorite friends.

My family is scattered across the country, so Facebook is a great way for us to keep in touch. I joined in 2009 because my brother, who lives near Chicago, was a member and started posting pictures of his children; same with my sisters, a brother-in-law and some cousins.

I don't do much with Instagram, but Twitter is a great way to keep up with the news without having to listen to raised voices filled with contempt and it's great for professional development when you know how to use it.

I have lots of other examples, including specialized cooking groups on Facebook, but you get the idea ;)

I understand where you're coming from, bliss, but not everyone has the knowledge and physical capacity to do all the gardening and canning that you do, which I'm sure leaves you little time for virtual activities.

What is FOMO?
2022-05-08-12-29-50.jpg

I understand where you're coming from, bliss, but not everyone has the knowledge and physical capacity to do all the gardening and canning that you do, which I'm sure leaves you little time for virtual activities.

The amount of social media you do, vs things like gardening, is all personal preference. I began trading social media time for other things many years ago, and now I have it under control (I think). I read more good books, cook more, garden more, hike more, walk more, etc. I did not know how to garden eight years ago, and now I have a great garden. Same for canning. All these things can be learned easily enough, if you feel like doing so. Not saying I'm better than anyone else, but I'm more comfortable with who I am now, vs who I was.

As far as news goes, I am bombarded with emails from friends sending me links to 'news' items. I ignore them. We turn on a news channel sparingly to get our news, and supplement that with printed material.

The amount of social media you do, vs things like gardening, is all personal preference. I began trading social media time for other things many years ago, and now I have it under control (I think). I read more good books, cook more, garden more, hike more, walk more, etc. I did not know how to garden eight years ago, and now I have a great garden. Same for canning. All these things can be learned easily enough, if you feel like doing so. Not saying I'm better than anyone else, but I'm more comfortable with who I am now, vs who I was.

As far as news goes, I am bombarded with emails from friends sending me links to 'news' items. I ignore them. We turn on a news channel sparingly to get our news, and supplement that with printed material.
No, it's not just personal preference. I, and lots of other people, have mobility issues, chronic pain and fatigue that limit my ability to do things that require physical activity and endurance. I used to do much more gardening and canning, and my husband and I used to go white-water kayaking, walking and hiking, but I can't do those things anymore.

No, it's not just personal preference. I, and lots of other people, have mobility issues, chronic pain and fatigue that limit my ability to do things that require physical activity and endurance. I used to do much more gardening and canning, and my husband and I used to go white-water kayaking, walking and hiking, but I can't do those things anymore.

My grandparents had mobility issues, etc., when they were older, and had great lives, and there was no social media back then. When I'm in the situation they were in, it will still be personal preference as to how much I use social media. I suspect I'll continue to write letters and talk on the phone to communicate with loved ones, as I do now. I suspect I'll still have the choice of turning on the news or reading a newspaper that is delivered to my house, as opposed to getting on the internet. Perhaps I won't be able to hike, kayak or garden, or even walk, but will I use that time to play on Facebook? No, probably not. It will be my personal choice and preference.

It's great that you are happy with your choices regarding social media, but nobody has to make such choices. It's personal preference.

is it one of the most major things that causing our world to go downward?
It may be a contributing factor, but I would not think it is a major thing.

...it is common for almost everyone then to be highly susceptible to fomo
I would think it isn't "almost everyone", but it could be almost everyone among the people you associate yourself with. If that's true, you might want to find yourself new friends. ;)

...people also fear of missing out what it means to behave badly. they will behave bad to other people just to be 'included'/cool...
Um, S-T-B, it's called "peer pressure". It's been around before you, before me, before my Mom...probably all the way back to when man started interacting with man. It's not new, it's just that hearing about mob mentality has been given a larger podium with the availability of the internet.

...It's not just about "keeping up with the Joneses" in terms of material goods. The idea is that people would see their friends and other people they know less well doing all kinds of fun things and some began to feel like they were missing out on life and that the people they knew were having a better life than they were.

My therapist said that usually what people post on Facebook is their Hallmark moments - vacations, parties and other outings - and not the more challenging parts of their lives, so the people following them get a skewed idea of what their daily lives are really like.

But for some people, FOMO has caused a level of depression.

Good points. It's not about how much others are doing or accomplishing, it's about how you react to it. Back in the dark ages, before the internet and subsequent social media like Facebook, people had more limited exposure to others' possessions and pleasures. You knew the neighbor next door just bought a fancy car or came back from an exotic vacation, but you probably didn't have a clue about what your third cousin twice removed was up to. Now, if you chose, you can be bombarded from all sorts of peripheral family and friends doing and buying things. How you react to their posts is up to you.

The internet is the world's biggest public library. Like any public library, the internet contains a wealth of valuable information.

The alternative to FOMO is embracing the Minimalist Lifestyle.

What Is the Minimalist Lifestyle? - MedicineNet

https://www.medicinenet.com/what_is_the_minimalist_lifestyle/article.htm

Minimalist Lifestyle - 10 Minimalist Lifestyle Tips to De-Stress and Save Money.

https://mint.intuit.com/blog/minimalist-lifestyle/minimalist-lifestyle-tips/

The broader issue is the Golden Age of Hollywood introduced unrealistic, unsustainable lifestyles to the masses.

Courtly Love
https://www.medievalchronicles.com/medieval-life/courtly-love/

Courtly Love transitioned into romance. The 1930's Errol Flynn swashbuckling movies evolved into Star Wars. Classic fairy tales by Hans Christian Andersen, The Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault, Aesop and others were re-written for happy endings. Diamonds were low grade industrial rocks until Marylin Monroe sung Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend. Suddenly that low grade industrial rock was a premium selling advertisement of affection.

FOMO has resulted in a 60% divorce rate. Sign onto any free Internet Dating site and read the unrealistic partnership requirements. If the lifestyle is a good as advertised, singles would be living the lifestyle not talking about it. As mentioned before; don't believe anything you see or read, verify the facts and make informed decisions.

Good points. It's not about how much others are doing or accomplishing, it's about how you react to it. Back in the dark ages, before the internet and subsequent social media like Facebook, people had more limited exposure to others' possessions and pleasures. You knew the neighbor next door just bought a fancy car or came back from an exotic vacation, but you probably didn't have a clue about what your third cousin twice removed was up to. Now, if you chose, you can be bombarded from all sorts of peripheral family and friends doing and buying things. How you react to their posts is up to you.
Social media is a tool. If you use it wisely and carefully, it can be a great advantage. It's akin to using that extremely sharp knife in a way so you don't cut yourself. Same with Facebook.
You are so wise :winkiss:

Back
Top Bottom