The Food Allergy List I compiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linicx

Senior Cook
The list contains Soy, Corn, Gluten, Fiber and Seven Hidden Allergens found in commpn products like toothpaste.

Allergic to Soy? Avoid these (incomplete list)

0. Green soybeans (edamame)
0. Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
0. Infant formulas, soy-based
0. Lecithin (extracted from soy oil, though safe for a majority of soy-allergic people)
0. Meat alternatives (meat analogs)
0. Miso
0. Natto
0. Non-dairy soy frozen dessert
0. Oyster sauce (most brands contain soy protein)
0. Soy cheese
0. Soy fiber
0. Okara
0. Soy bran
0. Soy isolate fiber (also known as structured protein fiber [SPF])
0. Soy flour (used in most muffins, some doughnuts, many breads, and other bakery goods)
0. Soy grits
0. Soy protein concentrate
0. Soy protein isolates (isolated soy protein)
0. Soy protein, textured
0. Textured soy flour (TSF)
0. Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
0. Tuna (canned, “packed in water”—read the fine print: most contain vegetable broth, which is made from soybeans)
0. Soy sauce (tamari, shoyu, teriyaki sauce)
0. Soy yogurt
0. Soy beans, whole
0. Soy milk and beverages
0. Soy nut butter
0. Soy nuts
0. Soy oil (though safe for a majority of soy-allergic people)
0. Sprouts, soy
0. Tempeh
0. Tofu and tofu products
0. Vegetable broth (frequently contains hydrolyzed vegetable protein from soy
0. Whipped toppings, soy-based
Yuba
Chocolate
Mayonnaise
Margerine
Oats

Corn Allergies?

Sea Salt only (Table salt includes Dextrose)
Beverages to avoid:
0. Coffee Rich
0. Evaporated milk
0. Frozen orange juice (except Minute Maid)
0. Gin, whiskey, and any alcoholic beverage or soft drink containing malt, malt syrup, or malt extract
0. Hawaiian Punch
0. Hi-C
0. Infant formulas, some (Enfamil, Modilac, and Similac)
0. Instant coffee
0. Mott’s Apple Juice
Fruits to avoid:
0. Candied fruits, canned fruits, and dried fruits that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Frozen and sweetened fruits that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Fruit desserts that contain corn syrup or HFCS
Dairy to avoid:
0. Ice cream and sherbets that contain corn syrup of HFCS
0. Flavored yogurts that contain corn syrup or HFCS
Vegetables to avoid:
0. Corn
0. Hominy
0. Ketchup that contains corn syrup or HFCS
0. Succotash
Baking ingredients to avoid:
0. Baking powders, most (corn-free baking powders are available that use arrowroot powder or potato starch instead of cornstarch)
0. Carmel coloring (may contain corn syrup)
0. Cornstarch
0. Cornmeal
0. Vanilla extract (many brands contain corn syrup; some brands do not)
0. Yeast (except Red Star dry yeast)
Baked goods to avoid:
0. Commercial backed goods that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Biscuits, Bisquick, and pancake mixes that contain corn syrup
0. Granola bars and cookies that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Modified cornstarch
0. Pie crusts and cake mixes that contain corn syrup or HFCS
Cereals to avoid:
0. Cereals listing corn, corn syrup, or HFCS on labels
0. Corn flakes
0. Grits
0. Pre-sweetened cereals (most)
Sweeteners to avoid:
0. Confectioners sugar (many brands contain cornstarch; some do not)
0. “Corn sugar”
0. Corn syrup
0. Dextrose (iodized table salt contains dextrose)
0. “Fruit sugar”
0. Glucose
0. Golden syrup
0. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
0. “Invert sugar,” “invert syrup”
0. Malt, malt syrup, and malt extract
0. Sucrose labeled “from corn”
0. Treacle
Desserts and snacks to avoid:
0. Candy, frostings, and carob desserts that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Fritos
0. Graham crackers
0. Jellies, jams, and peanut butter that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Jello
0. Marshmallows
0. Popcorn
0. Products containing xanthan gum
0. Puddings that contain corn syrup or HFCS
Meats to avoid:
0. Bacon and cooked meats in gravies that contain corn syrup or HFCS
0. Cured ham, sausages, and wieners that contain corn syrup, HFCS, or glucono-delta lactone (GDL)
0. Luncheon meats and sandwich spreads that contain corn syrup or HFCS
Medicines to avoid:
0. Dextrose is common in IV solutions.
0. Most solid or liquid medicines and dietary supplements contain cornstarch. Inquire to the manufacturer, because excipients (additional ingredients) may not necessarily appear on the label.
Miscellaneous products to avoid:
0. Bath or body powder (may contain corn starch)
0. Corn oil is used in emollient creams and toothpastes.
0. Corn syrup is often used as a texturizer and carrying agent in cosmetics.
0. Envelopes, labels, stickers, stamps, and tape may contain corn.
0. Plastic wrap, paper cups and plates can be coated with corn oil.
0. Some plastic food wrappers contain corn.
0. Sorbitol in oral hygiene products (mouthwash and toothpaste) is commercially produced from corn.
0. Zest soap

Best bets
The following foods are good replacements for corn in the diet:
0. Barley
0. Buckwheat
0. Millet
0. Oats
0. Potatoes
0. Rice
0. Rye
0. Spelt (a type of wheat)
0. Sweet potatoes
Wheat

Allergic to Gluten?

0. Do not eat anything that contains the following grains: wheat, rye, and barley.
0. The following can be eaten in any amount: corn, potato, rice, soybeans, tapioca, arrowroot, carob, buckwheat, millet, amaranth and quinoa.
0. Distilled white vinegar does not contain gluten.
0. Malt vinegar does contain gluten.
Grains are used in the processing of many ingredients, so it will be necessary to seek out hidden gluten. The following terms found in food labels may mean that there is gluten in the product.

0. Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP), unless made from soy or corn
0. Flour or Cereal products, unless made with pure rice flour, corn flour, potato flour, or soy flour
0. Vegetable Protein unless made from soy or corn
0. Malt or Malt Flavoring unless derived from corn
0. Modified Starch or Modified Food Starch unless arrowroot, corn, potato, tapioca, waxy maize, or maize is used
0. Vegetable Gum unless vegetable gums are carob bean gum, locust bean gum, cellulose gum, guar gum, gum arabic, gum aracia, gum tragacanth, xanthan gum, or vegetable starch
0. Soy Sauce or Soy Sauce Solids unless you know they do not contain wheat
Any of the following words on food labels usually means that a grain containing gluten has been used

0. stabilizer
0. starch
0. flavoring
0. emulsifier
0. hydrolyzed
plant protein

Allergic to Wheat?

0. Barley
0. Commercial Oats*
0. Malt
0. Couscous
0. Durum
0. Spelt
0. Kamut
0. Bulgar
0. Farina
0. Semolina
0. Einkorn
0. Farro _
Grains Allowed on a Gluten-Free Diet
0. Rice
0. Potato
0. Corn
0. Pure, uncontaminated oats*
0. Quinoa
0. Tapioca
0. Buckwheat
0. Yam
0. Teff
0. Amaranth
0. Arrowroot flour
0. Gelatin
0. Xanthan gum) Added to wheat free, Gluten Free Breads
0. Guar gum ) ditto
0. Sorghum
* According to the Canadian Celiac Association, clinical evidence confirms that eating pure, uncontaminated oats is safe in the amount of 50 to 70 grams per day by adults and 20 to 25 grams per day by children with celiac disease. However, some people may not tolerate even the purest uncontaminated oats. So speak to your doctor before introducing oats to a gluten-free diet.

Sweat-Free Baking with Special Flour Blend
Since no single flour can replace wheat flour, baking is the biggest challenge in a gluten-free kitchen. Carol Fenster, PhD, author of Gluten-Free Quick & Easy, suggested mixing 1.5 cups sorghum flour, 1.5 cups potato starch, and 1 cup tapioca flour together to use as a replacement for wheat flour when baking.

The Bottom Line
ALWAYS check food labels and look for the "Gluten-Free" claim or logo. Gluten isn't always found where you expect it to be. For instance, some chocolate or sweetened milk may contain malt or wheat starch. Processed meat like luncheon meat and frozen meat patties may contain fillers made from wheat. For a complete list of foods to avoid and gluten-free food products, refer to Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide written by Shelley Case, RD. This book is a must-have!

Understanding Fiber
Soluble fiber slows down digestion in the stomach and intestines, thus stabilizing blood glucose levels, and may also increase the uptake of minerals and other nutrients during digestion. Insoluble fiber improves health in the intestinal tract by increasing stool volume and stimulating normal bowel contractions thus reducing passage-time through the colon.

Continued .......

Food Allergy List continued

Good Sources of Fiber

Sources of insoluble fiber include: wheat, corn, rice, veggies and beans.

Sources of soluble fiber include: citrus fruits, apples, mango, oats, dried apricots and beans (haricot, soybeans).

Seven Hidden Allergens
1. Toothpaste

Most major commercial brands of toothpaste are made mainly from sodium-based chemicals and include few common allergens. However, all-natural toothpastes, which include some of the more popular fluoride-free options, often use natural fruit extracts as flavorings, including citrus and strawberries.
2. Hand & Body Lotions
Beyond milk, here are but a few of the most common reaction-causing ingredients found in hand lotions:
0. "Arachis oil" is derived from peanuts. Coconut, sesame, and tree nut oils are also found in many lotions.
0. Wheat, oats, barley, and other grains appear as extracts.
0. Citrus fruits are commonly used for scents, both as extracts and oils.
3. Makeup
Lipstick includes waxes and pigments that are, in and of themselves, usually not allergenic. Some formulas, though, include wheat, and others include oils (especially sesame) as emollients. Foundation can include soy protein, among others, while oat flour is used to make some powdered makeup like blush and pressed powder.
4. Medications, Vitamins and Supplements
While most supplements and over-the-counter medications will have full ingredient lists on the packaging, (pay particular attention to the "inactive ingredients") you may need to ask your pharmacist for the product information for prescriptions. Allergens found in drug bindings include lactose and starch, which may be corn, potato, rice, or wheat starch in medications unless otherwise noted on the package. Those with shellfish allergies should also avoid glucosamine and any calcium supplements like coral calcium that are made from oyster shells or other shellfish.
5. Hair Products
Shampoo, conditioner, and even hair dye can include common allergens. Celiacs and those with wheat allergies should take special care, as one of the most common allergens in these products is wheat, either in the form of wheat germ or as hydrolyzed wheat protein. Other allergens in widely available hair products include citrus oils and extracts, mushroom oil, almond and other tree nut oils, and hydrolyzed soy protein.
6. Fruit and Vegetable Rinse
Some versions of FIT fruit and vegetable rinse, sold in supermarket produce sections, include two potential allergens: "starch" -- which again, could include corn, potato, rice, or wheat -- and grapefruit oil.
7. Adhesives
Wheat is a common ingredient in all sorts of adhesives and glues. Be especially aware of its potential presence on stamps and envelopes, where it may be most difficult to confirm ingredients. (Those with wheat allergies may wish to invest in an inexpensive envelope sealer and use exclusively self-adhesive stamps to avoid potentially having to lick wheat-tainted envelopes). Be especially aware of its potential presence on stamps and envelopes, where it may be most difficult to confirm ingredients.

From Mayo Clinic:
Tests can help confirm a wheat allergy, so you can take steps to avoid future and potentially worse reactions.

Not all reactions to wheat are caused by wheat allergy. Some people have a digestive reaction to a sticky protein called gluten that's found in wheat and other grains. This reaction to gluten differs from a wheat allergy. It can be caused by an inability to digest gluten (gluten intolerance) or by an allergic reaction to gluten known as Celiac Disease or gluten sensitive Enteropathy.

linicx, thanks for that list. WOW is it comprehensive! I had no idea about the toothpaste.

It needs to be a sticky in this forum.

My daughter is dying. I spent 12-14 hours one night compiling it for her.

Thanks for the kind remark .

I agree. Sticky it is.

Pardon me if I intrude but is your daughter dying from her food allergies?

Partly

She's in the end stages of Lymphoma. She said she is wheat, soy, and corn intolerant. Its a complicated story. Radiation caused a blockage and several feet of her intestines were removed which left a short gut.- which turns the digestive system into a literal GIGO fast exit. When your body can't hold nutrients long enough to digest food you lose a lot of weight. My idea was to learn enough to create some kind of a diet she could tolerate that might help her gain some weight back. Unfortunately, she did not want to listen.

Vets are very good MDs. The one thing both disciplines agree on is that rice, chicken and lamb are the most digestible foods. By the time I got her to listen, and I compiled the list, she was already in hospice care. The average lifespan of Lymphoma is 2.5-3 years. It is an incredibly painful death like lung cancer.

Additionally my spouse is on a restricted fat, cholesterol and salt diet due to a failed bypass. Only one artery is functional. Keeping that arteru clog free is of utmost importance since the body naturally over produceses cholesterol. Apperntly in this family it is in the genes. It did not show up until after they were over 65 and retired. My spouse and two brothers had heart surgery the same month in November 1997. The brothers have since died of cancer. In the meantime my spouse developed COPD and IPF. We are going into the fifth year with it. Six is the average lifespan of a IPF patient who is not elegible for a transplant.

Ever since the lung diagnosis I have changed the furnace filter every two weeks. No window has been opened either at any time of year because of the mold that is present in soil. You must have clean air inside the house because there is no clean air outside the house. Since I began the filter business, and I do not knowingly allow anyone who is sick in the house, there has been no flu or colds in four years.

I use the 3M 1200 or higher filters. It is amazing how dirty it gets in 14 days. And I also believe a sick patient can benefit from Stress Tab vitamins as a sick body is in a state of chronic stress. They are also good for the chef who has a physically demanding job and long hours.

Since fat is a concern, I not only skin, and defat broths, I also make my own hamburger. With a good processor and good mixer I can almost do the impossible while i control fat and salt intake. The end result has been consistent good heart exams and easily corrected INR irregularities. . .

On another note, I'm happy the list found a permanent home. Thanks!

I can certainly see why you were motivated to create this list. Thank you so much for sharing it. May I also say WOW to you? It takes a lot of love and discipline to do what you've been doing for your spouse. Well done. I hope you have more than the average time together.

It's kind of you Linicix to share this with us after your extensive research. It's always good to have the knowledge. I am so sorry about what you are all going through. Here's a hug from me.

Wow, linicx! I thought I was the only one with the whole list of corn allergens! :LOL: After many years of being unable to eat corn, any corn products, or any product containing corn syrup, I am now able to eat small amounts of corn (such as on the cob, cornbread, popcorn). However, even the slightest amount of corn syrup causes me to get hives.
Thanks for sharing your extensive research. I am so sorry for the reason you went on this journey. Sending you hugs!

One of my favorite grains to cook, eat and serve is millet. I start by toasting the grains dry in a skillet until they pop like little corn kernels. Then I cook it like rice into risottos or pilafs. It is really tasty as well as nutritious.

A very bad ingredient that is in almost all commercial toothpastes is Triclostan. It is so poisonous that swallowing a small amount may kill a small child. If you read the labels on toothpaste carefully, you will see the warnings to contact the Poison Control Center. I wonder why this has been hidden for so long?

I can certainly see why you were motivated to create this list. Thank you so much for sharing it. May I also say WOW to you? It takes a lot of love and discipline to do what you've been doing for your spouse. Well done. I hope you have more than the average time together.

Thirty-five years in food service will discipline the most reluctant. I was lucky as I worked with some wonderful chefs and I learned a lot just by hanging out in the kitchen when I could.

The first time I met Konrad, he was Swiss/German, was early Saturday night. He just pulled a prime rib out. I introduced myself and hung around a little bit. What did I want? One bite of fat off the prime. He looked at me as if I had just grown two horns. What for? To eat. He gave ot to me and watched. I said the fat will tell me how good the prime is. (I didn't know at this time he didn't order anything but Prime Grade beef.) It was weekly routine for almost five years. We worked well together. Konrad, his sous chef, and Lee, a retired chef, could quicly put out 250 dinners and rarely said a word. It was like a ghost town in the kitchen.. Thirty minutes later the kitchen was clean and they were gone. Konrad never asked anyone to do what he could not do, and and he never left a dirty station. I took some of those bad habits with me when I cooked. That was 40 years ago. I'd kill for one of those good old white aprons.

I have my traveling apron. I want to send you the picture. Its been in four states and two countries - including Canada. I'll even throw in a recipe that you have probably do not know.

Wow, linicx! I thought I was the only one with the whole list of corn allergens! :LOL: After many years of being unable to eat corn, any corn products, or any product containing corn syrup, I am now able to eat small amounts of corn (such as on the cob, cornbread, popcorn). However, even the slightest amount of corn syrup causes me to get hives.

Hives???? I hope you carry an Epi-pen. I do. I stepped in chiggers and had hives every where except my eyes and throat for almost nine months. I looked like a Dalmation. I got antibiotics, Medrol and Zyrtec. And I selpt round the clock for 4 months. The nurse said she had never seen anything like it. Me either. I'd never seen a hive. I've been pretty sensitive to bug bites ever since. And four years later I was diagnosed with an incurable skin disease.

If I had your problems with corn, I wouldn't look at it, much less taste it. Allergies are very strange in that they show up when you least expect it. One of the unexpected is you suddnely cannot breathe because your throat swells shut. I don't think the risk is worth corn. Seriously, I think it is one thing to have a sensitivity and quite another to have an allergy. The fact that corn syrup gives you hives, suggests to me that you are highly allergic to something in the plant. When I think about it, I don't believe I would handle corn or any corn product withont gloves.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of you Linicix to share this with us after your extensive research. It's always good to have the knowledge. I am so sorry about what you are all going through. Here's a hug from me.

Thank you for the hug. I have a wonderful friend who lives in Switzerland. Which country do you like to cook in best and why? I'm curious. I know nothing about European or Kenyan appliances or the foods available - except what I see on American TV.

Knowledge is the one thing no can steal and you cannot give it away.

Last edited:
I am Kenyan, and live in Switzerland with my Irish hubby and two kids. I just about cook anything for the love of cooking. I wanted to share Kenyan cuisine with others, and it's a great feeling hence the many Kenyan recipes. Food to me is like poetry if you don't share it, then what's the point! It's like lighting a lamp and putting it under the table.

P/S From one mum to another, I can only imagine your heartache over your daughter's illness. Hope you find some comfort somehow.

I am Kenyan, and live in Switzerland with my Irish hubby and two kids. I just about cook anything for the love of cooking. I wanted to share Kenyan cuisine with others, and it's a great feeling hence the many Kenyan recipes. Food to me is like poetry if you don't share it, then what's the point! It's like lighting a lamp and putting it under the table.

P/S From one mum to another, I can only imagine your heartache over your daughter's illness. Hope you find some comfort somehow.

Actually I don't feel and I don't really want too. I'm numb. It the only way I can cope. Kris will be the second child I lose to death in 4 years.

I wondeer if you could find a simple Kenyan receipe for us?. I live in rural Aneruca. I am surrounded by farms and ranches.. Without driving 50 I can only get basic foods: beef, chicken, pork, carrots, celery, Bell, Pepper, sweet and whiite potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus in season, green beans in season, brocolli and brussel sprouts. and pf course milk, creams, chicken livers, It is basic American farm food. I don't see well enough to read cookbooks anymore so I kinda depend upon others who post recipes I can read online.

I have to be very careful about the sprouts and brocolli because of the nigh amount of Vitamin K. It upsets the balance of the blood thinner my spouse takes. Rat poison is very dangerous drug. It doesn't damage to the heart. It causes the doctor to freak out and order blood tests every three days for two weeks.

FYI: There are only two vegetables in the American diet that do not have vitamin K. Parsnip is one. I don't remember the other; I think it is in the same family as celery.

Thank you for your concern. It really is appreciated.

In light of a discussion in the baking thread, I thought it was appropriate to bring this forward again. When you are in the middle of special diet cooking or allergies it is sometimes hard to remember that some people aren't aware of them or how serious they can be.

Linicx has taken the time to educate all of us and to tell her story. I think it is a very good read for everyone.

That's a long list you got there. It takes a lot of patience and love to make that list. Kudos to you. :)

I eat gluten-free. It is really great to see that people are recognizing this allergy and helping those who suffer from it. I am happy that the word is getting out about gluten-free items. The flour replacement recipe is very helpful thanks!

Greetings. I just joined the forum today and stopped in to review the food allergy list. This is indeed impressive and I want to thank you first for sharing it as well as share my condolences of the condition of your daughter's health. Unfortunately, I can relate (to a degree).

My sister has quite a large number of food allergies, some of which are related to what you have listed. She has had to go on a completely organic, vegetarian diet with absolute zero processed foods and beverages in order to restore her health (which was rapidly deteriorating and threatening her business) to a manageable point.

I got off lucky....as far as foods are concerned to my knowledge I have only a zinc allergy(airborne allergens are another matter). I have known about my zinc allergy for some years now, but only recently came to appreciate how sick it was making me. Just by stopping my multivitamin which contained a megadose of zinc, my general well-being improved about 60%. Then I started doing research to determine which foods may contain high levels of zinc (respective to our daily recommended dose).

The list I've found through various websites includes:
* Most beef cuts
* Lean Ground beef
* Beef liver
* Oysters
* Most pork cuts
* Baked beans
* Lentils
* Kidney beans
* Mussels
* Shrimp
* Chicken (dark meat)
* Cheddar cheese
* Yogurt
* White rice
* Chickpeas
* Almonds
* Walnuts

Unfortunately this list made up a rather significant portion of my diet. After my research into the symptoms experienced by zinc allergy sufferers I decided I should experiment with monitoring my intake of certain foods and even trying some meat replacement by subbing in tofu with some of my favorite recipes.

I even started keeping a food diary to monitor what I was having a reaction to. I started discovering some foods make me break out in a rash, some aggravate my respiratory allergies, some cause me to be irritable, unable to focus, etc.

The conclusion is clear: All these years when I've been miserably sick with allergies, at least part of the blame lies with my zinc intake. Since I started monitoring and reducing the zinc in my diet, I have experienced about a 90% improvement in the frequency and severity of my allergy symptoms. And of all the foods I react to, I have the most severe reaction to red meat.

I thought I would share this with your list here, in case there are other zinc allergy sufferers present. This seems to be a relatively new development (at least our understanding of it) as zinc is still widely considered to be an immune system booster and a healthy thing. For most people it seems that it is a healthy thing to intake. But for those of us allergic to it, we may not realize how sick it is making us.

I am thankful that the Internet makes it easier for regular people to find this kind of information and share it with one another. When my sister was first diagnosed with her yeast allergy, Candida was not a word most doctors had even heard of and most of them rejected it as a "false illness"....just a fancy name for some nondescript symptoms. Those are the physicians that think allergies means stuffy noses and itchy eyes, and don't understand that allergies truly affect your entire being.

This is my first post here. After my allergy experiences and my sister's allergy experiences, and the numerous other health issues that exist in my family, I had already made some very significant changes to my diet....and by necessity, what I cook, where I buy my food and how I cook it. After seeing Food Inc recently I have determined that I need to make even more radical changes in my diet to preserve my long-term health. This is especially challenging because I live and work in Kuwait...where almost all food is produced somewhere else and flown or shipped in. Finding true organic products with a small carbon footprint is challenging. When I try to switch to locally produced goods bought from small markets, I have to deal with labels in Arabic that I cannot read. But I am definitely making improvements.

I joined this forum to get some ideas and share some of my lessons learned about healthy cooking. I absolutely love to cook and I look forward to interacting with each of you.

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story and your acquired knowledge. I sure hope that we can in some small way help in your personal journey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom