The Food Allergy List I compiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the things I learned to do is out of necessity. I don't entirely trust food commercials, commercial processing, or most fast food chains. I am not convinced the stabilizers that give food an extended shelf life is healthy. If sea salt does not contain stabilizers why should it be in the salt we buy in grocery stores?

I think food labels should be simple to understand and honest. If I buy a can of chili beans, I should know what bean is in it. Maybe every store should have a food guide -- is every red bean a kidney bean? It is a question I cannot answer.

I learned to make my own hamburger and stew meat long ago. It is a lot of work to remove all the fat, bone, and connecting tissue to get pure meat. I don't know how much zinc it contains, but I do know I feel better when I do. I remove about 3/4 pound of fat, etc.. in every 3# of meat I process at home. If I need grease I can add peanut oil. I skin chicken. I make most of my soup from scratch.

Airborne allergens are a risky at my house due to lung diseases. I firmly believe that the furnace filters that trap and remove allergens, bacteria, virus, mold spores, dust. pet dander, and the dust from super fine grains of sand does make a difference. I change mine about every 15 days. When I do not my spouse has more breathing problems. I've been doing this nearly 5 years. The IPF is actually improving when it should not. I firmly believe that where we lives makes a difference. There are certain desert plants that make people sick. I have a problem with leaf mold when I live too close to trees and some plants. I believe that in some cases too much humidity inside the house is a problem in how it reacts with the things we like such as carpeting and curtains - in some cases paint. I also believe the water we drink and cook with should be tested regularly. We have too much Nitrogen in our water. I know only drink and cook with water that is labeled as reverse osmosis. The other thing I did, due to my skin disease was switch to all natural laundry, body, hair and dish soaps that contain no tar or wood ash,and I only use Potassium Salt in my water softner as it is eco-friendly for plants, animals and people. All the little the changes have slowly but surely made a difference in our lives. .

Medicine is an imperfect science. Doctors do not know everything and they refuse to police themselves when they should. There are some really. really good physicians. Unfortunately there are too many that bury their mistakes. I could write a book of medical horror stories - but it would never get published. The good news is medicine has improved considerably since my mother had Polio in 1923. Maybe in the next 100 years the ailments of today will be a page in history, too. We can only hope.

Well said, linicx! Couldn't agree more. My first job after college had an insurance policy that wasn't through one of the "major players" in the insurance industry. As such, my choice of physicians was somewhat limited. That said, I was very blessed to happen upon a clinic near my office that took my insurance policy and was staffed entirely with physicians and nurses that wholeheartedly embraced holistic healing combined with conventional medicine. It was extraordinary to have both a GP and a GYN who treated me like a whole person, rather than a walking container of ailments. When I changed jobs and my insurance no longer covered that clinic, I continued to use their services. I was struggling on an entry-level income in an expensive city but it was worth the extra money out of my pocket to know I was being treated like a human being by a physician who truly cared about my well-being. I was very sad when he left Atlanta and I had to change doctors.

But thanks to my experiences with that clinic, I have been very discerning with my choice of physicians and how I treat my own health. I had other reasons to start paying strict attention to my health: both my parents were diagnosed with Type II diabetes around that time, my sister's health issues were already well entrenched and I had just lost my 2nd aunt (both in their 40s) to breast cancer. With both my parents and my sister battling health problems that stemmed from food, it became apparent to me that I needed to begin very strict attention to what I eat.

I'm not where you are just yet, linicx. I spent 5.5 years working in Iraq as a civilian contractor, and couldn't cook my own meals there. I was relegated to whatever was served in the dining facility and sold in the post exchange. I tried my best to eat well, but unless you're buying fresh ingredients and preparing things from scratch there's not much you can do to improve your diet. When I moved to Kuwait in October of last year I vowed to fix all that. Since it had been so long, I had to start by learning how to cook again! Now I'm making little changes every couple of weeks and it's making a big difference.

Thankfully my boyfriend is also very health conscious and environmentally sensitive, so he completely supports the changes I want to make and is happy to adjust his diet alongside mine. I stopped cooking with processed insta-meal type stuff a long time ago....no Uncle Bens flavored instant rice packages or canned veggies for me. I buy all that stuff fresh. One good thing about being in the Middle East is that naturally produced rice is plentiful and cheap.

Right now my big focus is on meat. This is a hard one for me because I am a voracious carnivore. I LOVE MEAT!!! Especially steak, oh my goodness do I love a well cooked fine cut of beef. But I don't discriminate! I love all kinds of meat (except liver, which I'm not sure counts as meat). That said I've recently become concerned about the amount and quality of meat in my diet.

I had already significantly reduced my beef intake because of the zinc allergy. Reducing my beef intake meant increasing my chicken and fish intake (fish is also plentiful and cheap here). However lately I've been doing a lot of reading about the commercial food industry and "over-fishing". I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people like me out there that are beginning to realize the multiple ill effects of too much red meat (especially the mass-produced corn-fed beef they churn out in the US) as well as the potential side effects of antibiotic-fed-genetically-modified poultry. My sister's considerable health problems were partially attributed to long-term over-exposure to antibiotics, for example. I'm concerned that awakening to these realities, more consumers like myself will begin shifting the balance of meat intake in their diet from beef/chicken to fish....especially because fish is very, very healthy for you! If the fisheries are already overburdened with demand, what will happen in 5-10 years if more people like me eat fish several times per week instead of beef or chicken?

The solution, at least for me I think, is to go back towards our roots as humans. Humans were never intended to consume meat with every meal. It is only part of our diet....yet the cheapness and accessibility of meat (why are steaks cheaper than veggies now??) has made many western cultures accustomed to the notion that no meal is complete without meat.

I will never be a vegetarian, let me get that right out there! And I'm far from saying meat is bad for you...it is not. It IS part of your balanced diet. But I think we in Western and some Eastern cultures (Middle East comes to mind) have "overbalanced" our diet with meat. I discussed this with my boyfriend this morning and we've decided to limit our meat meals to 3-4 dinners per week. The rest will be vegetarian. I'm starting tonight.

Sorry for the excessively long post! I'm just excited to have a group of people to discuss this with. Thank you for reading and please share your thoughts.

I think it is hard to share your thoughts in a short post as we live in two different areas of the worlds. Youfi are lucky that you have an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. Give me avacado, dates, raspberries and tomatoes and I am happy.

One of the things I created for the summer is a salmon salad. I add red onion rings, black olives, tomatoes, croutons, spinach or other greens - but not head lettuce as there is no nutritional value - and a light vinegar and oil dressing. I use sea salt, granulated garlic and black pepper if I need it. I do the same basic thing add pasta - not noodles - and mis it with a bit of fat-free Miracle Whip and real mayo. You can substitute tuna or chicken. Its hot weather food. It's not terribly high in cholesterol, fat or sodium. It is better when it is icy cold.

I never liked beef liver; it is too bitter. Chicken livers and gizzards are called variety meats here. I lightly flour liver and fry it in peanut oil with ions and fresh mushrooms. Drain it. Then I add a little brown gravy and serve it over rice.

Gizzards have a very pleasant flavor but if they aren't cooked correctly, it is like trying to eat a tennis ball. Cover and cook in water over a low heat with a whole onions, celery, carrots and a little sea salt. They will be a little chewy - like a good steak. Remove and throw away the onion. Set the rest aside and bring the broth to a boil. Add noodles and fresh sliced mushrooms. While the noodles are cooking I slice the gizzards, carrots and celery. When the noodles are cooked. I add the gizzards and veggies and thicken the broth with a little cornstarch. Either is a good meal on a cold day and relatively inexpensive to fix. I use no-yolk pasta.

Another thing I discovered is a poor man's chicken soup. Instead of chicken and noodles I add potato chunks and veggies and serve it with fresh hot bread. Fruits and sometimes some cheese. make a good desert.

Living where you do, you should be able to adapt any of these recipes to your diet as they are basic meat, fish or chicken, & rice, noodles or potatoes. .

Hmmm ... just started looking at this line because my sis tells me her son had an anaphylactic reaction this week and it seems that they aren't sure what caused it. He's had problems in the mornings before, but this time it was severe enough to ambulance him to the hospital and he now has an epi-pen. Since it always happens in the mornings, I'm betting on some kind of nuts (lots of breakfast foods contain nuts).

I want to add one suggestion; and absolutely NOT until you talk to your doctor. But instant mashed potatoes make a great thickener for soups and stews, and also make a super crust for frying (use the flakes, not the "buds"). Talk to your doc first, bring in a package to make sure none of the other ingredients are something you cannot have.

I would do this

Anaphylacatic reaction can kill. If it was my child I would immediately replace the store bought cereaos with a certified all-natural rice or oat cereal that has no additives or stabilizers, and I would not buy cows milk. I would probably buy goat's milk until I found the root cause..

If you read the contents, you may find that many of the store cereals are processed in plants that also process nuts, wheat, gluteen, corn, soy and milk products. Even Cheerios Whole Grain Oat cereal contains corn startch, salat and atabilizers. Uncooked Oats - not instant - may be the only cereal that does not contain additives - but I wouldn't bet on it.

You can also thicken with rice flour andmaybe Arrowroot.. .

Allegry List - Help Fill in the gaps!

More and more I'm seeing people or special requests and claiming allergy. I'm not down with that. If you don't like something tell me straight. My frustration at this growing trend has caused me to spawn this list. If anyone doesnt see something on that you are allergic to let me know so I can further my effort. Only the common names are listed as Hal d 1 or
Tha c 1 probably wont mean anything to anyone accept molecular biologists.

Stay healthy everyone!

Here it is (hopefully):

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Abalone, perlemoen[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acerola[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alaska Pollock[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Parvalbumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Almond[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - 2S albumin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Conglutin Gamma[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amandin - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prunin, 11S Globulin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aniseed[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apple[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Non specific lipid transfer protein (nsLTP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apricot[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Non specific lipid transfer protein; LTP 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Avocado[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Chitinase class I[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Banana[/FONT] - P[FONT=&quot]rofilin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barley[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Gamma-3 hordein[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Non-specific lipid transfer protein (nsLTP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bell pepper[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]Osmotin-like protein[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brazil nut[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]2S albumin protein, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Excelsin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Buckwheat - *[/FONT][FONT=&quot]fancy chemical names*[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cabbage[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Camomile[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carp[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Parvalbumin[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Carrot - [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Extracellular protein 2, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cyclophilin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cashew[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Anacardein, 13S globulin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2S albumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Castor bean[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]2S albumin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 11S crystalloid protein[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celery, Celeriac[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Profilin[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Cherry[/FONT]
- [FONT=&quot]Thaumatin family, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]non specific lipid transfer[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]protein (nsLTP), [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Profilin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chestnut[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]Non-specific lipid transfer protein, nsLTP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chickpea, garbanzo, bengal gram - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2S albumin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]11S storage protein,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] globulin, cupin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cocoa[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN
Coconut[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - Cocosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cod[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Gelatine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cotton seed[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - 2S albumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Courgette, zucchini[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Crab[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Egg Whites (hen's egg)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Apovitellenin VI[/FONT],[FONT=&quot] Apoprotein B[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Ovomucin[/FONT][FONT=&quot] , Immunoglobulin IgY[/FONT],
[FONT=&quot]Apovitellenin I,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Vitellenin, VLDLP II[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Ovomucoid,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Ovalbumin[/FONT][FONT=&quot], conalbumin, ovotransferrin[/FONT],
[FONT=&quot]Lysozyme[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Egg Yolks (hen’s egg)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Serum albumin, alpha-livetin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fig[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Fish[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Flax seed, linseed[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Frog, edible[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Alpha-parvalbumin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Beta-parvalbumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Garden plum - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]non specific lipid transfer protein (nsLTP[/FONT])
[FONT=&quot]Garlic[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Alliin lyase,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Alliinase[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grape[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]Chitinase class I protein,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thaumatin-like protein[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hazelnut - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]non-specific Lipid Transfer Protein,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Vicilin, 7S seed storage globulin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Corylin, 11S globulin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kiwi fruit; chinese goosebrerry[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Thaumatin-like protein[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Lentil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Lettuce[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lobster[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lupin or Lupine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lychee[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mackerel[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Parvalbumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Maize, corn[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - non-specific lipid tranfer protein (ns-LTP)[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]Alpha-Zeins,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Trypsin inhibitor,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Activated Hageman factor (XIIA)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mango[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Melon[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]Cucumisin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Profilin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] PR-1 (Pathogenesis-related protein (Fragments))[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Milk, cow[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Bovine Serum Albumin[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Alpha-Lactalbumin[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Lactose synthase B protein[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Beta-Casein, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alpha S2-Casein,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Kappa-Casein,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Immunoglobulin, immunoglobin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Lactoferrin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Lactotransferrin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Beta-Lactoglobulin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alpha S1-Casein[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mustard[/FONT] -[FONT=&quot] 2S albumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oats[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oyster[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Papaya[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Papain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peach[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - non-specific lipid tranfer protein (ns-LTP), [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Profilin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peanut; ground nuts; monkey nuts[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Agglutinin[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]Oleosin[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Conarachin, 7S globulin, vicillin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2S albumin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arachin, glycinin, 11S storage protein[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Profilin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pear[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pecan[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Persimmon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pine nuts - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pineapple - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bromelain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pomegranate - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Poppy seed[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]UNKNOWN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Potato[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- Patatin B1[/FONT][FONT=&quot], cathepsin D proteinase inhibitor, cysteine protease inhibitor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pumpkin[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Profilin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rice[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Rice Allergenic Protein (RAP), [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Trypsin/alpha-amylase inhibitor, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Glyoxalase I,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] alpha-Globulin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rye - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gamma-70 secalin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gamma-35 secalin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salmon[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Parvalbumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sesame[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Seed maturation protein[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Beta-globulin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7S seed storage globulin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shrimp, black tiger shrimp - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tropomyosin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arginine kinase[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shrimp, brown shrimp[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shrimp, greasyback shrimp[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shrimp, Indian prawn[/FONT][FONT=&quot] -Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shrimp, Neptune rose shrimp - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arginine kinase,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] arginine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shrimp, white shrimp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Snail[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Soybean, Soya - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Beta-Conglycinin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Conglycinin,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]7S globulin[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Trypsin inhibitor,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Profilin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Glycinin[/FONT][FONT=&quot], 2S Albumin,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Methionine rich protein[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Squid[/FONT]
- T[FONT=&quot]ropomyosin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Strawberry[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Bet v 1 homologue[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sunflower seed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tomato[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Beta-fructofuranosidase[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tuna - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Parvalbumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Turnip
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Walnut[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - 7S globulin; vicilin-like protein,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] non-specific lipo transfer protein(ns-LTP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wheat[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Omega-5 gliadin, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alpha-amylase inhibitor 0.53, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lipid Transfer Protein LTP1, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alpha Gliadin

P.S. I already noticed onion isnt in there![/FONT]

Re: Pine nuts. My allergist told me to stay away from ginko as well as pine nuts. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to other nuts, just pine nuts.

Last edited:
Onions contain sulfites which may cause allergic reactions. I'm still trying to nail down which enzyme group it applies to.

From vitaminsofhealth.com:

"More minor dangers of ginkgo biloba include a possible allergic reaction. If you are allergic to plants in the same family as ginkgo (Ginkgoaceae) or to things like mango rind, sumac, poison ivy and poison oak, you are likely to have an increased risk of allergy to ginkgo".

Have you ever had a reaction to mango?

Another p.s. I am allergic to Guinea Pigs (a.k.a. Cuy in Peru where they eat them) but I have never eaten one so I don't know if that counts. X-P

Last edited:
StarKist Selects® Low Sodium Chunk Light Tuna in Water

If you have dietary restrictions or allergies to any of these ingredients, you might want to try StarKist Low Sodium Chunk Light or Very Low Sodium Chunk White Tuna in cans* (which contains only tuna and water).

Also, StarKist Gourmet Choice® Solid Light Tuna Fillet, packed in water or olive oil, does not contain vegetable broth.

Frequently Asked Questions | StarKist

The 'pouches' usually contain vegetable broth which MAY contain soy. Soybeans aren't always used for the broth but it would be safer to consider it is.

Back
Top Bottom