The Great Depression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ skilletlicker, Nothing was ever said about performing music. I know my own people weren't musical.

I guess that was the role of that shortwave radio they would all sit around on Saturday night. They could tune into Cincinnati's WLW, BBC, and Radio Canada etc for news and then tune in "The Grand Ol' Opera" for the entertainment.

For those who find The Great Depression interesting, I would mention an audio book you may find on line to download free at Google or elsewhere.

"Hard Times" by Studs Terkel. It's an oral history of the Great Depression. He interviewed numerous people who lived it and gleans their insights from their experience. It's about an hour long. Terkel was an author and historian who passed away in 2008.

This is an abstract of it from Youtube. (look for it online or next time you're at your at your Public Library)

This is better as an audio book as you can listen to the voices of the people being interviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFM6OSfGjc

Last edited:
Instead of buying plastic garbage bags I use the grocery store plastic bags as garbage bags. Saves a good amount of money his way.

Also the usual keep napkins, condiments, etc from places and use at home. Same with plastic/glass containers.

I tend to hand wash about as much as use the dishwasher to save water and money.

Instead of buying plastic garbage bags I use the grocery store plastic bags as garbage bags. Saves a good amount of money his way.

Also the usual keep napkins, condiments, etc from places and use at home. Same with plastic/glass containers.

I tend to hand wash about as much as use the dishwasher to save water and money.

I do all of those things too. The plastic grocery store bags are used in the smaller trash cans (bathroom, bedrooms, etc) and I too keep napkins and condiments from restaurants. I don't have a dishwasher, though, so I have to do all of my dishes by hand anyway.

Speaking of grocery store bags, I have about 10 of those reusable bags in the trunk of my car and mean to use them when I go to the store, but always forget. What's stupid is I actually like the reusable bags better than the plastic grocery store bags because you can get so much stuff in those things and they're easier to carry and don't break. I don't know what it is, however, with this mental block I have when it comes to remembering to take them into the store with me.

:mellow:

I do all of those things too. The plastic grocery store bags are used in the smaller trash cans (bathroom, bedrooms, etc) and I too keep napkins and condiments from restaurants. I don't have a dishwasher, though, so I have to do all of my dishes by hand anyway.

Speaking of grocery store bags, I have about 10 of those reusable bags in the trunk of my car and mean to use them when I go to the store, but always forget. What's stupid is I actually like the reusable bags better than the plastic grocery store bags because you can get so much stuff in those things and they're easier to carry and don't break. I don't know what it is, however, with this mental block I have when it comes to remembering to take them into the store with me.

:mellow:

I had some crocheted bags that were perfect as they stretched. One of my kitties loved sleeping on the stack, I stopped taking them away from him for shopping. They are saturated with black cat hair.

Here in California, everyone uses reusable shopping bags as the throw away plastic shopping bags were outlawed in 2016. Personally I think it's a good small step in protecting the environment. It's surprising how quickly people have adapted to the change. It only takes once or twice before you remember to take your bags into the store but I've seen forgetful people come out of stores with armloads of stuff to be loaded into the car. :LOL:
My favorite bags are canvas and easily washable.

You also need to request a plastic drinking straw for drinks and I never use one now as a matter of principle. Nobody really needs a straw. Well, maybe for a milkshake. ;)

I look back on that period of our history and many ideas reach out to me through the decades.

I've never belonged to a union. But the labor union movement in the '30s, '40s and 50's improved the quality of my jobs and opportunities throughout the '60s, '70's, and 80's. There were lots of companies that adopted pro-worker policies in order to decrease the likelihood of labor unionization. "Conservatives," "neo-conservatives," and finally, "Tea-Partyists" fight tooth and nail against any improvement to middle-class opportunities.

Their inheritors continue the battle today.

Your votes affect the opportunities of our children.

I look back on that period of our history and many ideas reach out to me through the decades.

I've never belonged to a union. But the labor union movement in the '30s, '40s and 50's improved the quality of my jobs and opportunities throughout the '60s, '70's, and 80's. There were lots of companies that adopted pro-worker policies in order to decrease the likelihood of labor unionization. "Conservatives," "neo-conservatives," and finally, "Tea-Partyists" fight tooth and nail against any improvement to middle-class opportunities.

Their inheritors continue the battle today.

Your votes affect the opportunities of our children.
+1...

I don't always remember the re-usable bags. But, I have found it is easier to remember them, if I put them in the passenger seat of the car, when I head out for shopping. If someone is with me, I put them in the back seat and the chance of forgetting at the first store goes up.

I don't always remember the re-usable bags. But, I have found it is easier to remember them, if I put them in the passenger seat of the car, when I head out for shopping. If someone is with me, I put them in the back seat and the chance of forgetting at the first store goes up.

My problem is remembering to get them out of the trunk to move them to the front seat of my car to begin with :LOL:

It's like I have a serious mental block when it comes to those blasted bags. I always endeavor to utilize them in the way they should be utilized. But I just can't get past the point of that in-between transition of actually thinking about using them and trying to remind myself to use them and, well, getting them out of the trunk of my car.

I don't know what's going on there. I've been going through this for years.

Cosign with skilletlicker. Have you noticed any of the Uber Wealthy of the USA sending Lobbyist to the Capital to get THEIR taxes raised back up to the 94% rate like they were in 1950? When they still lived large in those times. (The 50's, a time some of our Politicians love to point back to with nostalgia in order to remind us of when America was so great) Anyone remember when passbook savings accounts at Banks paid 6% as a standard rate in the 50's? Before you go to the Polls, reflect on this stuff and ask yourself if a silly hat that says Make America Great Again is anything different than a deer hunter shining a high powered flashlight in the eyes of the deer.

A friend of mine has an MBA (masters degree in business administration) focused on Marketing. He explains to me how the effects of the 1930's Depression are still adversely influencing the economy yet today. (not to mention people's habits as we are enjoying discussing here) But the affects of the Great Recession have replicated this with the millennials today. It is one of the key events that has shaped their generation. The millennials are actually split with an inner-generational gap today that few truly understand yet.

He says both the Great Depression of the 1930's and the Great Recession of the 1980's have served to make people become risk adverse. But in our economy, (known as market demand) risk taking is the primary avenue to creating wealth. (we try to study any venture before hand to were we can pare down the more obvious risk to where we can have our best chances for success) But to take these risk we have to have money...and if we don't our economy stagnates and we get to sit by and watch those with all the money enjoy becoming wealthy(er). He says this is the lesson of Depressions and Recessions.

Last edited:
My problem is remembering to get them out of the trunk to move them to the front seat of my car to begin with [emoji38]

It's like I have a serious mental block when it comes to those blasted bags. I always endeavor to utilize them in the way they should be utilized. But I just can't get past the point of that in-between transition of actually thinking about using them and trying to remind myself to use them and, well, getting them out of the trunk of my car.

I don't know what's going on there. I've been going through this for years.
Write yourself a note to remind you to get the bags and put them on the passenger seat - and put the note on the driver's seat - RIGHT NOW. That way, it will be there next time you go to the store ;)

Cosign with skilletlicker. Have you noticed any of the Uber Wealthy of the USA sending Lobbyist to the Capital to get THEIR taxes raised back up to the 94% rate like they were in 1950? When they still lived large in those times. (The 50's, a time some of our Politicians love to point back to with nostalgia in order to remind us of when America was so great) Anyone remember when passbook savings accounts at Banks paid 6% as a standard rate in the 50's? Before you go to the Polls, reflect on this stuff and ask yourself if a silly hat that says Make America Great Again is anything different than a deer hunter shining a high powered flashlight in the eyes of the deer.

A friend of mine has an MBA (masters degree in business administration) focused on Marketing. He explains to me how the effects of the 1930's Depression are still adversely influencing the economy yet today. (not to mention people's habits as we are enjoying discussing here) But the affects of the Great Recession have replicated this with the millennials today. It is one of the key events that has shaped their generation. The millennials are actually split with an inner-generational gap today that few truly understand yet.

He says both the Great Depression of the 1930's and the Great Recession of the 1980's have served to make people become risk adverse. But in our economy, (known as market demand) risk taking is the primary avenue to creating wealth. (we try to study any venture before hand to were we can pare down the more obvious risk to where we can have our best chances for success) But to take these risk we have to have money...and if we don't our economy stagnates and we get to sit by and watch those with all the money enjoy becoming wealthy(er). He says this is the lesson of Depressions and Recessions.

I completely believe the past influences the present.

Write yourself a note to remind you to get the bags and put them on the passenger seat - and put the note on the driver's seat - RIGHT NOW. That way, it will be there next time you go to the store ;)

But then I'll move the note when I get in my car to go to work and forget it's there :LOL:

But good idea. Maybe I'll put a sticky in my car around the console area or something, if it doesn't drive me too crazy. I don't like stuff laying around in my car, it bugs me.

I'm hopeless :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom