The Most Horrible Wine You've Ever Had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A local winery here in the Finger Lakes of NY. Montezuma Winery had a Raspberry Wine. I love anything raspberry, The smell of it was great, the taste was awful. It went down the drain.

I've had so much bad wine, that I practically have stopped drinking it. And it is not necessary the price, it's knowing what you are drinking.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Discriminating taste demands not liking some stuff, some wines in this case. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Unless you dislike about half the wines you try, you are Philistine, not a discriminating drinker. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sangria is a fruit punch that includes cheap (Spanish) red wine. The wine is supposed to be bad. That’s why its taste is covered up with fruit punch. A bottle of “sangria” is red flag at the get go. Sangria don’t come in bottles. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Use it for cooking. Heat changes the flavor. As it is a light red wine, I prefer considerable reduction when making coq an vin with sangria-- the swe[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]et[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]n[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]e[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] give[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] coq au vin an interesting twist .[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There is a big difference between Australian and French (most Rhone wines) and US Shiraz. US ? Most Rhone wines have as overdose of chemical that creates an astringent taste. I do not drink these because I don’t like that taste. On the other hand, I drink lot of Aussie Shiraz because they are not astringent. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I'm also not one to spend big coin on wine either” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Very sensible. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A number of ‘blind’ tasting studies confirm that price and liking a wine are not related. On the other hand, when we discovered our favorite wine, I bought the entire supply in Washington, DC, 261 bottles, in one day. Last time I priced it, it was $3,800 per bottle. Should it return its price ($16) [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]5 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]decades ago, I would go right out and buy some. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Th[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ose [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] who like chardonnay should [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]note [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] t[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]hat that Boone’s Farm Apple is the world's best chardonnay. [/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Discriminating taste demands not liking some stuff, some wines in this case. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Unless you dislike about half the wines you try, you are [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]a [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Philistine, not a discriminating drinker. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sangria is a fruit punch that includes cheap (Spanish) red wine. The wine is supposed to be bad. That’s why its taste is covered up with fruit punch. A bottle of “sangria” is red flag at the get go. Sangria don’t come in bottles. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Use it for cooking. Heat changes the flavor. As it is a light red wine, I prefer considerable reduction when making coq an vin with sangria-- the swe[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]et[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]n[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]e[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] give[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] coq au vin an interesting twist [/FONT]

I can't drink any wine that isn't white. All red or pink wine gives me an instant headache, and I rarely have headaches. Although Champagne is obviously white, it doesn't like me either, as it makes me really goofy with only one glass.

My inexpensive Peter Villa California box wine is just fine with me, although with our membership to a wine club we often enjoy a bottle of special white wine.

Try this. Get a Fetzer Cab, Merlot or Zin (low price, great value). Pour a glass. Let it sit for 45-60 minutes, then try it. There is a bunch of chemistry behind this, but it is the right way to drink red wine. It took us 90 minutes to drink our favorite red wine- sit for 45 minutes, sip for 45 minutes (this wine now sells for more than $3,000 a bottle).

Not a wine, but peppermint schnapps is the nastiest tasting liquor for my tastes. The cheap pop wines of the 1970's, aka Boones Farm, Annie Green Springs, made for some very drunk, and unpleasant memories (best friend vomited in pup tent on a rainy night, all over my sleeping bag after guzzling 2 bottles of Strawberry Hill). The only wine I ever enjoyed was Sherry, used in finishing a gently fried pork chop. I know many who enjoy a small taste with meals, or cooking with wine. Alcoholics of any kind just taste terrible to me.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know that wines have been made fro many different fruits. I do wonder though, if anyone has made wine from rhubarb, or grapefruit. I still wouldn't care for it, due to the flavor of alcohol. Just curious.

I know that wines have been made fro many different fruits. I do wonder though, if anyone has made wine from rhubarb, or grapefruit. I still wouldn't care for it, due to the flavor of alcohol. Just curious.

I have seen grapefruit rosé wine on the grocery store website.

1000 Best Wine Secrets by Carolyn Hammond.

Wine Myths.

Myth: You should uncork a bottle of wine to let it breathe a little before pouring it.
Truth: Merely uncorking a bottle of wine only exposes the surface of the liquid in the bottle neck to air, so the amount of aeration is minimal. This will have no perceivable effect on the wine. Instead, decant it to aerate it.

Myth: The finer the bubbles, the better the bubbly.
Truth: Bubble size has no bearing on the quality of Champagne nor any other sparkling wine. Much research has been done on the subject recently, particularly by Gérard Liger-Belair, associate professor of physical sciences at the University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne in the heart of the Champagne region. Turns out, the temperature of the wine, as well as the size of the impurities and faults on the inside of the wine glass, all affect the size of the bubbles. The warmer the Champagne, the larger and more frequent the bubbles. And without faults or impurities on the glass, such as microscopic streaks left by a dishtowel, Champagne looks like perfectly still white wine that, when drank, feels fizzy.

Myth: Drink red wine with cheese and meat, and whites with fish and poultry.
Truth: There are many exceptions to this overused rule. Fuller-bodied white wines as well as sweet ones can be delicious with cheese. Red wine from Pinot Noir grapes can be excellent with turkey. And a light-bodied red such as Beaujolais or another well-made Gamay goes very well with chicken.

Myth: Gewürztraminer and Asian foods are a perfect match.
Truth: This aromatic, full-bodied wine would overpower any of the mild cornerstones of Asian cuisine such as dim sum, tempura, or sashimi. Plus, Gewürztraminer is notoriously lacking in acidity, which is the cleansing agent in wine needed to refresh the palate for many of the other staples of Asian cuisine—fried tempura, oily duck, or fatty tuna belly known as toro fish.

Myth: Vintage charts dictate good and bad wines.
Truth: Completely good and bad vintages don’t exist. Wine regions typically charted in vintage guides are huge geographic areas where weather varies so some producers experience great conditions in so called poor vintages. Also, a highly acclaimed vintage is no guarantee of quality because grape growing and winemaking practices influence the quality of the wine as much as weather does. Use vintage charts as a general guide only, if at all.

Myth: If it’s popular, it must be good.
Truth: Just because it sells well doesn’t mean it’s delicious. A prime example is Pinot Grigio. In 2003, Pinot Grigio was the bestselling imported white wine in the U.S., according to the trade publication Impact Databank. Yet, at best, it’s merely inoffensive and bland. Pinot Grigio tastes vaguely of citrus. It’s a light, neutral wine. Perhaps the collective North American palate got so weary of big, heavy, oaked Chardonnay, that Pinot Grigio refreshed tired palates with its light, clean style. Fora similarly crisp, clean style, look to Chablis or Muscadet from France; Müller-Thurgau from Austria, Britain, or Canada; or Silvaner from Germany, all of which offer a little more flavor and all the freshness.

Myth: You only decant red wine.
Truth: Many white wines of distinction, such as Sauternes, or white Burgundies from better properties also benefit from decanting because the aeration brings out their aromas and flavors.

Myth: Champagne doesn’t age well.
Truth: Good quality Champagne ages extremely well. One of the most mesmerizing wines I’ve ever tasted was a 1970 Cristal, courtesy of Champagne Louis Roederer. Unforgettable. Tasted when it was thirty-two years old in London, England, the wine was a charming kiss of brioche and cooked apple with layers of nuts, fresh bread, crème caramel, lacy acidity, and a long, lively finish. Sublime.

Myth: Blended wine is poor quality.
Truth: Though sometimes a wine from one type of grape can be very good, blending two or more varieties can produce better balance, complexity, and harmony. In fact, wine laws in
most places allow wines labeled as a single grape variety to be seasoned with other types of grapes to let winemakers blend for balance.

Myth: The Old World makes better wine than the New World.
Truth: Both the Old and New Worlds make good and bad wines and although they traditionally made very different styles of wine, overlap is starting to occur. Buying the best wine comes down to understanding your personal taste, choosing wine styles that appeal to you, and buying wines from trusted, quality-minded producers.

Myth: Red grapes always make red wine and white ones always make white.
Truth: Although this is usually the case, red grapes can make white wine. Such is the case with Champagne. The three grapes that go into this white sparkler include Chardonnay, which is of course white, as well as Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier — two red grapes. Gentle pressing keeps the red grape skins from imparting color to the wine.

Myth: Old wines taste better than young ones.
Truth: This is seldom true because the vast majority of wine made today is released from the winery at its peak and ready to drink. If these ready-to-drink wines are aged, they will be older but not better because they’re not made to bear the weight of time. Wines designed for cellaring are the only ones that actually improve with age. Chapter 4 reveals the secrets of knowing when to drink a wine.

Knowing When to Drink It.

A good rule of thumb is, if the wine retails for less than $25, it’s probably ready to drink. Wines above this price point are usually made with better quality grapes grown in better conditions, both of which tend to push the price up. With quality often comes aging potential. Remember, the vast majority of wines are ready to drink upon bottling.

Knowing when to drink a wine depends on your ability to detect the fruit concentration, tannin, acidity, and alcohol, and the balance of these four elements. Fruit concentration and tannin diminish as wine ages, while acidity and alcohol remain constant. So, a wine with more fruit and tannin than acidity and alcohol can improve with age.

When fruit concentration and tannin are in balance with acidity and alcohol, a wine is ready to drink. Once these elements are balanced, a wine will stay that way—or “keep”—for a period of time, the length of which varies.

Building on the last couple of secrets, fruit concentration is perceived mid-palate as flavor intensity. Tannins are felt around the gums as a drying sensation, much like the
sensation of drinking strong black tea. Acidity is detected as sourness felt on the sides of the tongue making you salivate. And alcohol is felt as heat on the back of the palate, particularly after swallowing.

Knowing when an ageworthy wine is ready to drink is fairly subjective. Some people like their wines youthful, uncomplicated, and fresh tasting, while others prefer the more subtle levels of complexity that come with maturity.

Some grape varieties keep better than others and thus age more gracefully. A few reds that tend to age well are Cabernet Sauvignon, Nebbiolo (the grape of Barolo and Barbaresco wines), and Pinot Noir. Gamay and Cabernet Franc on the other hand are notoriously best drank young.

Whites generally don’t age as well as reds because they lack tannin. Tannin present in red wine is a natural preservative.

Some white wines can improve with time in bottle, particularly those made from Riesling, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay grapes, as long as they’ve been made well and have sufficient concentrations of fruit.

Champagne can age for decades. Vintage Champagne, which is usually made from the best fruit of the best years, has the most potential to improve in bottle. Look to better quality producers for stuff to lie down.

It is sometimes difficult to distinguish low quality wine that’s harsh tasting from that which is high quality but not ready to drink. Both will have chewy tannins and frankly will be unpleasant to drink. One clue can be the price. But the most accurate way to tell is by judging the balance of the wine yourself. A low quality wine will show low fruit concentration relative to the tannins, acidity, and alcohol, while a high quality one will be comparatively rich in fruit.

Wines with long-term aging potential tend to require a seasoned palate to predict the number of years they will age. Top quality Bordeaux wines, for instance, are made to age for as many as fifty years. It takes a lot of tasting to make such predictions and, given the price of these wines, which can run into thousands of dollars per bottle, you don’t want to uncork one to find out it’s not ready. So, my advice to you is to look to your merchant or other experts’ published drinking times for these wines, and use these windows as starting points.

Once you’re fairly familiar with the method of judging if a wine is ready to drink, start practicing with wines in your cellar. Buy a fairly inexpensive case that isn’t ready to
drink that you’re merchant says will age for at least five years. Then, in five years, taste a bottle. Note your thoughts on the balance and flavors, then decide when to uncork another.That’s where aging wine starts to get fun.

The benefit of cellaring a wine made to age is that it develops layers of aromas and flavors. The aroma of an aged wine is called its bouquet.

Wines in magnum age about one and a half times as long as the same wine in a normal sized wine bottle.Wines in half bottles age more quickly than regular bottles of the same wine—in about two-thirds the time.

When you buy older vintages, you’re paying for someone else’s cellaring time and space. Buying young wine meant for aging and storing it yourself is a much better bargain as long as you can keep from raiding your cellar.

Sherry does not improve with time in the bottle and should be drank as soon after bottling as possible.

Sherry should be drank within about a week of opening a bottle. Dryer styles of Sherry such as Fino and Manzanilla deteriorate quickest.

Vintage Port improves with bottle age. Meanwhile, Crusted, Late Bottled Vintage, and Tawny Port styles are not meant for aging in bottle, so drink up.

All Port except for finer Tawnies should be drank within about a week of opening a bottle, much like Sherry. Fine Tawny Port can last up to a few weeks after uncorking.

One fortified wine that can stay fresh almost indefinitely after it has been uncorked is Madeira, which comes from the island of the same name about four hundred miles off the coast of Morocco. This fortified wine tastes of caramel and nuts, and comes in styles ranging from very sweet to dry. The reason it can stay fresh is because of the way it’s made. It’s the only wine in the world that is exposed to heat for months, if not years. This process gently cooks the wine, creating a characteristic dark color, rich tangy flavor, and almost indestructible nature.

Wine meant to be consumed young can start to lose its fresh, fruity appeal within about a year or so of being bottled, so opt for recent vintages when buying relatively inexpensive wines and consume them quickly. This is a particularly good rule to follow when buying pink and white wines because they deteriorate faster than reds.

Rosé wines don’t generally improve with age. Always drink these young.

Beaujolais Nouveau—that fruity red from southern Burgundy made from Gamay grapes—should be drank by the May of the year after its vintage date.

Back
Top Bottom