"The New Best Recipe" - Northern Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swinchen

Cook
YUCK! That is all I can say. I don't where they found their taste testers... or maybe it is just me.

I don't think 4 tsp. of sugar is enough for Northern Cornbread. I like mine slightly sweeter. Oh well, 1 cornbread in the trash... endless options ahead.

They also baked it on one of their television shows. It was supposed to be a compromise between northern and southern cornbread, leaning more to the northern, which is less sweet than southern It sounds like you would probably prefer a more southern version.

The southern recipe only has 1/2 tsp. of sugar so it is less sweet. I wonder where they are located... If the testers are from the south they would like the less sweet northern corn bread. Hmmm I don't know, a recipe to never try again though :) unless I add mroe sugar.

swinchen said:
The southern recipe only has 1/2 tsp. of sugar so it is less sweet. I wonder where they are located... If the testers are from the south they would like the less sweet northern corn bread. Hmmm I don't know, a recipe to never try again though :) unless I add mroe sugar.
Hmmm, maybe I had it backwards. I checked my Lodge manual and they had none. However, if I'm correct the northen was lighter textured and the southern was heavier.
The Lodge recipe was to put pan in oven and heat to 450 degrees.
Mix batter:
1 cup whilte self rising cornmeal (Martha White)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (batter will be thin)
Pour batter into hot skillet and bake 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
This is using Lodge cast iron cookware. If you try it, you will need to use cookware that can handle high heat.
This is on my list to try, but I haven't done so yet.

I think it's just a matter of taste and what you are eating with the cornbread. Sometimes I like sweet and sometimes not. If it's with pintos I want plain cornbread, no sweetness. Also, if I'm doing boiled vinegared cabbage and onions I want a plain cornbread to pour them over. But mostly I want a cornbread chock full of creamed corn, cheese and green chilies :shock:

i like some chopped jalapenos in my cornbread, the southern style one. i've always heard that the sweetness i cornbread should only come from the natural sweetness of the corn, not sugar. otherwise, you aren't making cornbread, but rather something more like a corn muffin.
i wonder how maple syrup would taste in it tho...

I'm a real Northern Cornbread lover. Its 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla to a basic cornbread recipe. I love it best with boiled collard greens that smoked turkey has been simmering in. Put LOTS of butter on that cornbread. I could eat this everyday.

debthecook said:
I'm a real Northern Cornbread lover. Its 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla to a basic cornbread recipe. I love it best with boiled collard greens that smoked turkey has been simmering in. Put LOTS of butter on that cornbread. I could eat this everyday.

Now that is the type of corn bread I am talking about!!! Northern Corn bread is meant to be sweet :) Also I don't think many people put peppers or cheese in the corn bread around these parts.

Jenne Owens Cornbread – James Beard’s Favorite Cornbread
From James Beard’s American Cookery, Little, Brown and Company, 1972

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

½ cup sifted flour
1 ½ cups yellow corn meal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs well beaten
1 cup milk
¼ cup cream
1/3 cup melted butter

Sift all dried ingredients in a mixing bowl
Add the eggs and milk and beat with a wooden spoon
Beat in the cream and lastly the melted butter

Pour into 8 ½ by 11 inch well buttered pan
Bake 15-18 minutes

Cut into squares

Beard recommends slicing each square in half and placing a slice of ham to make a sandwich.
We’ve done this and it is a very tasty sandwich.

PS You can add more sugar to make it sweeter. You can also slice the cornbread into 1 inch slices, fry in butter and serve with syrup for a great breakfast.

Have you guys ever had a cornbread type hushpuppy - they are so good and sweet - and you dip them in honey butter???? YUM!

Huspuppy recipe - please!

Aside - off topic, I know, but - Kitchenelf, love your 'signature' line; so true! Here's one that one of our spinal cord injury moms uses with her posts -

"God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a fierce passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so."
~Geraldine Brooks, "Year of Wonders"

Sorry for this stupid question.

What is corn bread? Which corn you need for baking that?
Because I must look here for German flours.... :?

lg Tanja

Yankee Cornbread
Makes 5 small loaves

- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (or 1 tbsp kosher salt)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 oz corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 3 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro

1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.

2. Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl.

3. In another bowl, combine the butter, buttermilk, milk, and eggs, and turn with a whisk until combined. Pour over the dry ingredients all at once and stir until just combined. Add the jalapeno, corn kernels, cheese, scallions, and cilantro and again stir until just combined.

4. Pour the mixture into five buttered mini-loaf pans. I use foil pans from the grocery store, which makes the bread easy to transport and give away. The pans are about 6"x3.5"x2". Bake 25 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

Yankee Cornbread
Makes 5 small loaves

- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (or 1 tbsp kosher salt)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 oz corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 3 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro

1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.

2. Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl.

3. In another bowl, combine the butter, buttermilk, milk, and eggs, and turn with a whisk until combined. Pour over the dry ingredients all at once and stir until just combined. Add the jalapeno, corn kernels, cheese, scallions, and cilantro and again stir until just combined.

4. Pour the mixture into five buttered mini-loaf pans. I use foil pans from the grocery store, which makes the bread easy to transport and give away. The pans are about 6"x3.5"x2". Bake 25 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom