The pain of watching someone cook who can't cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a venting thread.
In my household, I am the cook. ...

Oh, Larry, I had to laugh. I could have been the one writing this thread, word by word. :LOL:
When I was working a lot of overtimes one year my wife tried to experiment in the kitchen. G-d bless her sole, she is a wonderful woman, but I'm sorry to say most of it was not really addible. Good for me I would come home so late, I simply did not have time to eat. One time I remember I came home early and she was very exited to serve some sort f a chicken, I firmly believe that a person has to have a special talent to ruin chicken, so I seat down to eat, my son tells me how good it was, and then when DW was not looking quietly whispers in my ear, that it is really bad, but I should pretend that it is good so not to offend mommy, that kid is great, accidentally he just got accepted into UC Davis for pre med neurology and behaver program. Oh, back to chicken. It was not addible. I am happy to cook, as long as she does dishes, according to her I do not know how to do dishes and do very bad job doing it. To each it's own. This arrangement works for us. ;)

Oh and as far as some other people cooking, I remember watching this video of a "great chef" , who was cutting vegetables with bread knife. :ROFLMAO:

This whole thread should get some kind of special award for being the funniest, most enjoyable thread ever on DC.

My DH thinks he can cook, if needed. Fortunately, he doesn't feel it is needed very often. His best "dish" is grilled cheese. I'll share the recipe:

Two pieces of white bread.
One slice of American Cheese.
Mustard.

Toast bread in toaster. Remove bread, slather with mustard, place cheese on slice of toast, top with other slice of toast. Wrap in paper towel. Nuke until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

Suffice it to say, I do all of the cooking.

Ginny, I know how to cook, but sometimes I make those kind of grilled cheese sandwiches! I call it Cheater Grilled Cheese and would make them when we were trying to cut back on calories from fat... and I was trying to get out of actually grilling the sandwich. I like holding the non-buttered bread better, so now I use my Cuisinart Griddler if I want unbuttered bread.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Try Rachel Ray. That is painful. Sandra at least doesn't pretend to be a big Chef.
Rachael doesn't, either. She has said throughout her career that she's a cook and not a chef. I learned a lot from her when I was learning how to cook close to 20 years ago (late bloomer here [emoji257]). She starts with whole ingredients, for the most part, and her food is well-seasoned. I still use some of her recipes.

What do you not like about her?

Ginny, I know how to cook, but sometimes I make those kind of grilled cheese sandwiches! I call it Cheater Grilled Cheese and would make them when we were trying to cut back on calories from fat... and I was trying to get out of actually grilling the sandwich. I like holding the non-buttered bread better, so now I use my Cuisinart Griddler if I want unbuttered bread.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Well, see, you have a reason! And, know how to cook. I get it. I have an All-Clad that I sometimes use for similar reasons. And then, there are the days that I just pull out the "taco sheets" from Smart & Final (or whatever they are calling themselves today) and let the paper help with the messiness. :)

I'm not a big fan of Rachael's, either, but I will say I liked her in the early years - those "30 minute" shows.

That's what I'm talking about. I had surgery years ago that required a six-week recovery at home and I discovered the Food Network and Rachael Ray. My mother didn't teach me much about cooking - it's not something she enjoys. So I learned a lot from those "30-Minute Meals" shows.

I enjoyed The Galloping Gourmet, especially when he had Julia Child on the episode! I enjoyed the Frugal Gourmet too. Years later, I enjoyed Bobby Flay/Jack McDavid's Grillin' & Chillin' too.

Knives! I can't stand watching inept knife use. I cringe and wait for the knife to flop onto it's side mid stroke or fingers to be extended into the path of the sharp edge and blood to flow.

I further shiver at the site of dull knives being used because of the additional force needed to cut. That extra force translates to deeper cuts and more blood.

Horrible...

Knives! I can't stand watching inept knife use. I cringe and wait for the knife to flop onto it's side mid stroke or fingers to be extended into the path of the sharp edge and blood to flow.

I further shiver at the site of dull knives being used because of the additional force needed to cut. That extra force translates to deeper cuts and more blood.

Horrible...

+1 Janet!

My DH is NOT allowed to even touch any knives in our home any longer!

Not long after we were married, he had gone out for Beers with the guys after work, came home late, with one (or three) too many Beers in him and he was hungry.
Not wanting to wake me, he decided that he would make himself a Bagel Sandwich, the Bagel was not pre-split :ohmy:
While holding the said Bagel in one hand and trying to slice it open with a knife in the other hand ... you get the picture :huh:

He came barreling into the bedroom, yelling, with our GSD in tow, and blood dripping everywhere.
I grabbed a towel, his hand, shoved it up in the air over his head, explaining calmly that he needed to keep good pressure on the wound, threw on some clothes and off we went to the ER only a few miles away, thank goodness!

The attending physician said that he was very lucky to have not severed any nerves or tendons and his pinky finger was stitched back on. :shock:

Speaking of knives. I volunteer in synagogue kitchen. Or rather used before corona. I went back fir the first time last Friday. Oh my. All my knives, I bought most of the knives in the kitchen, have been destroyed. Looking nearly “suraded” (sp?) that’s how bad they are. I don’t even know if they can be fixed. Who cooked there for the last year and a half I don’t know, but how cold they cut anything with those knives is beyond me. Very sad.

Once in a while you find you actually made a good impression on someone!

A kid I met a couple of years ago, when tutoring him in math, liked to cook me a quick dal halfway through, and he didn't have a great selection of knives - his family didn't take care of them well, and even when he tried to sharpen them, it didn't work. I showed him why - they had been sharpened to where the edges were thick, and they would have to be totally "reshaped". He was into metalwork in school, so he knew what I meant. And I got him some extra knives I had in my basement - things I had at my Mom's house, and got back, but don't need them. He was thrilled to get them - an 8" chef's knife, and 8" cleaver. He keeps them in the cardboard sheaths that I had them in, and tells everyone else not to touch them! He keeps them razor sharp, always showing me how he can shave some hair off his arm with the knife he's using, and showing me how just the weight of the knife will cut through some things! And as soon as he's done with it, he'll wash it, dry it, and put it away in the sheath. He's only 18 now, and more obsessed with the knives than I am!

Charlie, some people just have no respect for things, especially if they didn't pay for them. Sorry you were on the receiving end of that insult.

Pepper, awesome kid!

Back
Top Bottom