The Perfect Omlette Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

web-collage

Senior Cook
Several months ago I asked for suggestions for a "perfect" 2-egg omlette pan, since my heavy stainless steel, aluminum exterior, 45 year old Farberware pan was pitting and loosing its temper. Several good cooks I know have used this pan but it is no longer made. I specified NO non-stick and NO China-made pans.

Now friends returning from Paris have brought me a pan recommended by DeHillerin and their Paris cooking teacher. Has anyone else used this pan? It is blue-black steel made by DeBuyer for omlettes and crepes. Directions (in French) for cleaning and seasoning.

Several months ago I asked for suggestions for a "perfect" 2-egg omlette pan, since my heavy stainless steel, aluminum exterior, 45 year old Farberware pan was pitting and loosing its temper. Several good cooks I know have used this pan but it is no longer made. I specified NO non-stick and NO China-made pans.

Now friends returning from Paris have brought me a pan recommended by DeHillerin and their Paris cooking teacher. Has anyone else used this pan? It is blue-black steel made by DeBuyer for omlettes and crepes. Directions (in French) for cleaning and seasoning.

forty_caliber (site moderator) is our resident DeBuyer pro...he has a few of his own and can give you lots of assist with this brand.

Last edited:

If you need help with the French, I could help and I'm pretty sure there are a few other members who read French.

De Buyer is a quality product. Check out this thread for more information and a review. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/de-buyer-mineral-steel-fry-pan-69278.html. The 12 inch Lyonnaise style is easily the best skillet I've ever used and has become my goto pan for daily use.

Since I posted the above thread I acuired 2 of the blue steel crepe pans. There were about $22 each. They are great for pancakes and crepes. I've not made eggs in them yet. No coatings, no aluminum...just blued steel. They do require seasoning. The blue steel crepe pans aren't quite as heavy duty as the mineral steel. The handle is spot welded instead of riveted. This was by design so that a spatula won't catch on the rivets and can be smoothly worked around all sides of a crepe.

Here is a specialty omelet pan from WS that aids in filling and rolling in case you are interested.

Thanks for the information and pictures on that earlier thread. Very clear. Yes I will treat like cast iron but had never seen the potato cleaning method. The pan is 2 mm and light enough to flip the omlette. It will be dedicated to eggs but maybe a crepe will sneak in there sometime.

"potato cleaning method"????? I am having problems reading today. But that jumped out. Can you elaborate on this or point me to the place that it is stated so I can read it later.

i guess no one uses the hinged pan that I like so much, and discussed when I first joined.

Thanks for the information and pictures on that earlier thread. Very clear. Yes I will treat like cast iron but had never seen the potato cleaning method. The pan is 2 mm and light enough to flip the omlette. It will be dedicated to eggs but maybe a crepe will sneak in there sometime.

Get a nice silicone spatula for eggs and crepes. OXO makes a good one.

"Get a nice silicone spatula for eggs and crepes. OXO makes a good one."

Nah .. I don't do silicone. I have a method for omlettes where I just use a fork to pull back the cooked part and let the runny part flow, then flip and slide onto plate when ready to serve. Takes about 12 seconds. YES I cook my omlettes in (unsalted) butter. NO they never stick.

Cleaning and seasoning

they are excellent carbon steel pans. treat them like cast iron.

Brought home from Post Office. Immediately washed it, boiled the potato peelings (lots of gunk comes out), washed in hot water, rubbed inside with oil and placed in 170 oven where it will stay for a while. I really like the size and weight of the metal.

Need my delivery of farm eggs tomorrow and then the first omlette.:chef:

web-collage said:
Brought home from Post Office. Immediately washed it, boiled the potato peelings (lots of gunk comes out), washed in hot water, rubbed inside with oil and placed in 170 oven where it will stay for a while. I really like the size and weight of the metal.

Need my delivery of farm eggs tomorrow and then the first omlette.:chef:

Which pan did you buy? Let us know how things go. Keep in mind that it takes time and use for the seasoning to develop. The more you use it the better it will work.

Which pan did you buy? Let us know how things go. Keep in mind that it takes time and use for the seasoning to develop. The more you use it the better it will work.

The pan is 8.25" interior, 8.75" exterior, silvery grey not the blue black I expected. Somewhat rounded sides. I'll take a picture soon. My friends brought it back from Paris in their carry-on and evidently security did not think it was a weapon. :chef:

Have made several omlettes, first one had slight metallic taste, after that pretty good. Did crepes a couple of times also a fried egg. Rinsing with hot water takes care of it. I'm waiting for it to be as good as my old omlette pan.

Back
Top Bottom