The Proper Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I am about to be lynched for saying this, but I can happily create a quick lunch for myself by chopping half a tin of tomatoes and boiling them for a few minutes with petit pois, then stirring in a load of grated cheddar cheese. Quick grind of black pepper and I am a happy bunny! :yum:

I think I am about to be lynched for saying this, but I can happily create a quick lunch for myself by chopping half a tin of tomatoes and boiling them for a few minutes with petit pois, then stirring in a load of grated cheddar cheese. Quick grind of black pepper and I am a happy bunny! :yum:

Lynched; you mean applauded. Add a bit of basil nd you have an amazing soup. Even without the basil, its very tasty. Simplicity is often the key to enjoying the full flavor of a food.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Lynched; you mean applauded. Add a bit of basil nd you have an amazing soup. Even without the basil, its very tasty. Simplicity is often the key to enjoying the full flavor of a food.

I love fresh basil! Run out for this year, but I might consider chopping in a tiny bit of fresh oregano (which is now growing on my kitchen windowsill where my summer basil was until recently.) Nice tip! ;)

It sounds pretty great to me too! And I agree with the basil too. I store my overage of basil in the freezer and use it in things like this soup. Of course, a spread of pesto on a piece of toast might work too.

Potatoes with pesto is something made in heaven.
I don´t get much of a choice over here, where potatoes are concerned, but I DO have a huge basil plant in the kitchen garden. Evry 3 months or so, I prune it, make two or three ( or sometimes more) jars of pesto, and that´s that.

Why would you boil Tomatoes?

Chief, since Katy said "...half a tin..." I would think that the skins were already removed.
Katy dear, since this thread is about potatoes, did you really mean to say tomatoes? Or did autocorrect strike? Potatoes and peas sounds so much better, especially with lots of cheese.

there exists - no debate valid -

high starch
low starch
"all purpose" starch,,,, potatoes

the character of the end dish determines - if the cooks has a clue or cares . . . which potato variety to use.

for a German style oil&vinegar dressing potato salad, ueber low starch is needed.
for a 'creamy style' potato salad, a high starch potato works better.

for those who do not know/recognize the differences.... some research is required.
there are differences.

Chief, since Katy said "...half a tin..." I would think that the skins were already removed. Katy dear, since this thread is about potatoes, did you really mean to say tomatoes? Or did autocorrect strike? Potatoes and peas sounds so much better, especially with lots of cheese.

Yep CG, you are correct!

Sadly I suspect Chief will now want to lynch me, but I have to say, I like his suggestion to put fresh basil on my "quick fix" tinned POTATO lunch! (I am happy to put Basil on many things.)

Yep CG, you are correct!

Sadly I suspect Chief will now want to lynch me, but I have to say, I like his suggestion to put fresh basil on my "quick fix" tinned POTATO lunch! (I am happy to put Basil on many things.)

Nah, I won't lynch ya. Just send me some Nanaimo Bars:LOL:.

Nah, I won't lynch ya. Just send me some Nanaimo Bars:LOL:.

Chief, I am doomed to disappoint you - I have never heard of a a Nanaimo Bar!

So I looked it up and it isn't something I would be rushing to make either!

I could run away but I am not a coward, so I request a reprieve from lynching. :unsure:

Chief, I am doomed to disappoint you - I have never heard of a a Nanaimo Bar!

So I looked it up and it isn't something I would be rushing to make either!

I could run away but I am not a coward, so I request a reprieve from lynching. :unsure:

I am taught in my beliefs that we are to forgive al, and to judge no one. So, I believe you are safe. Besides, of the many, many knots I know how to tie, a noose isn't one of them:LOL:.

Oh, and as for the Nanaimo Bar, you really have to make this for a holiday treat. They are delicious.:yum:

I am taught in my beliefs that we are to forgive al, and to judge no one. So, I believe you are safe. Besides, of the many, many knots I know how to tie, a noose isn't one of them:LOL:.

Oh, and as for the Nanaimo Bar, you really have to make this for a holiday treat. They are delicious.:yum:

Sir, you are a gentleman and I thank you.

As for the Nanaimo Bar, I fear we may have to continue to disagree. I appreciate the nuts, but the rest of the ingredients lead me to suppose this to be a very sweet confection?

Sir, you are a gentleman and I thank you.

As for the Nanaimo Bar, I fear we may have to continue to disagree. I appreciate the nuts, but the rest of the ingredients lead me to suppose this to be a very sweet confection?

It is.. I have a really good cheesecake recipe that isn't so sweet. It costs $20 to make it though.

Take a look at your Pm's. I've left you a message.

Back
Top Bottom