The trouble with NAAN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
Making my own homemade naan is my dream. I have attempted it for many times, with different recipes I found online. Typically, the online recipes often call for little kneading and quick rising. They usually turn out to be very crumbly, i.e. unstretchy unlike the naans I get from indian restaurants. The taste is dull too without seasoning.

So I decided to use my pizza technique to make naan. I give it a 40 minute kneading until the gluten mesh can be seen when stretched and very elastic, and then I let it rise in the fridge for 18 hours (well, I always intend for 24 hours but always comes short). I will shape them by hand using, again, pizza technique.

I fire up my oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone in it. Then after the preheating is done, I turn it to broil and let it broil the stone for another 20 minutes while I shape my first naan. Then I place the thin naan on the pizza stone and let it get broiled for about 3 minutes. I don't know if I let it broil longer will it dry up? I didn't try.

Following is the picture of that batch of naan. Please excuse the quality of the photo since I was in a hurry cooking. It tasted great actually, there's stretchiness, the tang of the dough as well as yogurt, and the slightly toasted brown spots are extremely delicious, and I wish there was more of those! The problem is that my broiler doesn't stay on when the door is open, it will cut off until I close the door. So there's no way I can let it stay on when a naan is in it, unless I start the broiling from a cold oven, which will probably only give me a few naans.

I also have seen the cast iron skillet method of cooking naan, but I dont' think it will generate big enough blisters, or if it does generate blisters, the blistered side will not cook evenly when flipped over. I just don't like this idea lol.

Has anyone else had successful experience with home-oven-baked naan?

117bat4.jpg

Consider not using the broiler. Heat the oven to max temp on bake with the stone on the floor or the lowest shelf and do it that way.

Also, if this batch came out so good, why change what you are doing?

Consider not using the broiler. Heat the oven to max temp on bake with the stone on the floor or the lowest shelf and do it that way.

Also, if this batch came out so good, why change what you are doing?
just need more browning lol
yea maybe baking would be better than broiling, if I do a flip after some time...

The recipe I have on file, although I've never tried it, goes, in part:

*Place a cast iron griddle or skillet in the oven and preheat to 400F.

*Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.... apply ghee to each oval with your fingers or pastry brush.

*Place naans on the hot cast iron griddle or skillet and bake until they puff and brown lightly - about 5 minutes. Flip each naan, apply more ghee and bake about two minutes more.

*Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

The recipe I have on file, although I've never tried it, goes, in part:

*Place a cast iron griddle or skillet in the oven and preheat to 400F.

*Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.... apply ghee to each oval with your fingers or pastry brush.

*Place naans on the hot cast iron griddle or skillet and bake until they puff and brown lightly - about 5 minutes. Flip each naan, apply more ghee and bake about two minutes more.

*Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

Actually in the past I have attempted to brush the dough with oil before baking, the result - cracker :/

Back
Top Bottom