Thursday 8/17/2017 What's on the plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a doctor appointment this afternoon. I have an Instant Pot Beef Stew or Pot roast planned. It only takes 35 - 45 minutes to cook. So I can wait awhile to start it. I love not having to start this kind of meal hours in advance and babysit the pot on the stove.

Picked up a couple of semi-boneless ribeyes so dinner will be steak, potatoes and a salad.

My buddy and his wife are coming over.. He and I will go to a classic auto auction..

I'm having a hot dog party first... :yum:

Hot dogs, baked beans, mac salad and chips..

We will come home to strawberry shortcake, after the auction..

Ross

I made yogurt yesterday. A little different this time. I used 1/2 gallon whole milk and a quart of 1/2 & 1/2. Left it strain for 12 hours in the fridge. These are the results today. It is so thick. Tastes wonderful.

I also made lime curd. Here are some pictures of the lime curd.

lime_curd_cooled_081717_1_IMG_2723.jpg

A picture of the yogurt with lemon curd, lime curd and strawberry compote. ALL made in the Instant Pot.

yogurt_081717_IMG_2731.jpg

Guess I should have pulled up some of the shrimp for the pic. Grits came out absolutely perfect tonight. I could have made a meal out of just them.

Attachments

• 2017-08-17 17.44.26.jpg
    2017-08-17 17.44.26.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 184
I fried some tortillas in the cast iron using veggie oil until they were crispy, then I topped them with some beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes. Tostadas. They were yummy.

No one felt like cooking. I made a salad and vinaigrette. Stirling cooked the frozen tortellini and added the Classico Roasted Hot Peppers sauce. That really was quite good for pre-made food.

I'd be tempted to drop in on MsMofet. I had a veggie stir-fry, since I need to clean out the fridge before the looong weekend. I mean, we only have 80% coverage here, so we must drive 12 hours to see the eclipse at 100%, don't you know! I just hope it isn't the zoo that Oregon looks like already, we'll be outside Nashville.

To keep this food related, tomorrow I'll be making a pesto-yogurt dip and a spinach dip, prepping crudities, and making oatmeal bars with the strawberry jam I made today, all as snacks to take on the way. It is fun packing for a car trip, instead of the plane, for a change.

I made myself some gluten free Mac and Cheese. Okay, it wasn't dairy free but I just wanted something creamy and good.

TB had Italian sausage with new potatoes and raw veggies. I had the raw veggies too.

Ate from the cooler, since we got a late start. Not our fault this time! The garage door opener forgot how to close the door. ? Himself had to do a repair job before we could roll. We ate lots of fresh fruits and veggies. We also had slider-size sandwiches; one each of roast beef with sharp American, and turkey with Havarti. Hoping for real food tonight!

...I mean, we only have 80% coverage here, so we must drive 12 hours to see the eclipse at 100%, don't you know! I just hope it isn't the zoo that Oregon looks like already, we'll be outside Nashville...
Too bad you didn't say Knoxville. We're headed there now. Actually, we'll be in Spring City on Monday. Himself and I might have been able to arrange a meet-up...in a crowd of 10,000. ?

I had made Italian sausage a couple days ago, so last night I used to make a sausage, veggie and tomato sauce skillet dish. I browned the sausage and added onions and garlic, then added sliced bell peppers. Poured in a jar of pasta sauce and a small can of tomato sauce. Tasted it and it really didn't need much seasoning, with all the flavors in the sausage (including fennel seeds I grew in the garden years ago). Then I mixed some of the sauce with penne. I might freeze some of the sauce for an easy meal later.

I also made bruschetta with homemade bread and a garden tomato, plus a tomato from the farmers market to have a mixture of red and yellow. Sprinkled everything with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and ate it up!
0817172020a_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom