Thursday 8-31-17 What For Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We are having Congee based on the recipe from the Premiere episode of Top Chef season 12, by Chef Mei Lin.

Clever avatar, Craig.

I'm planning a sort of ragu with country-style pork ribs as the meat component.

We had to run some errands and picked up some fried chicken and french fries at our local Farm Fresh for lunch so will probably have leftovers for supper.

I am in full cake mode today (wow it feels good!) so haven't really thought about actual food.

TB may fend for himself which will probably be a polish dog, potato in some form and raw veggies. I'll just finish off the last of the taco meat in a salad.

DD and I are not feeling so good. I would like to make some chicken soup. But that may change if I don't feel well enough to cook.

We are having Congee based on the recipe from the Premiere episode of Top Chef season 12, by Chef Mei Lin.

Breakfast for dinner? :yum:

Most of my Asian American friends eat Congee for breakfast. I can see why as it's so warming and filling.

My boy has his first scrimmage tonight, and he has to be on the field by 4:45 so dinner will be late. Probably a salad and pizza, or diner takeout.

I'm not sure who thought a scrimmage was a good idea the night before school starts. The last thing these kids needs is to be pumped up and get to sleep late the night before the hand of God descends upon them (Catholic school, lol).

I think I will use up the leftover salisbury steaks, mashed potatoes, corn, King's Hawaiian rolls and a 2014 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

msm, I hope you and your DD feel better soon.

bucky, I guess congee is like grits/polenta - you can serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Depends on how you dress it up. ;)

When we rolled into Dodge last week Thursday, Himself had suggested pizza for supper. We ended up picking up Chinese. Ever since, even though Chinese was my suggestion, I've had a taste for pizza. :LOL: Tonight it will be pizza. Maybe carry-out, maybe on Naan bread. I'll figure it out when my pokey husband is finally ready to head out the door.

Breakfast for dinner? :yum:

Most of my Asian American friends eat Congee for breakfast. I can see why as it's so warming and filling.

My boy has his first scrimmage tonight, and he has to be on the field by 4:45 so dinner will be late. Probably a salad and pizza, or diner takeout.

I'm not sure who thought a scrimmage was a good idea the night before school starts. The last thing these kids needs is to be pumped up and get to sleep late the night before the hand of God descends upon them (Catholic school, lol).

Bucky, I hope your boy is playing in a league that plays to win and not some stupid, useless participation trophy.:(

Lol, no. This is a Catholic Prep school. They take this pretty seriously (maybe a little too much?).
The pros actually scout the varsity teams here, although my son is only in 8th grade.

I just want him to enjoy playing, learn about teamwork and camaraderie, an derive pleasure from crushing opponents while they go home crying to their mamas. :devilish:

Wait, I shouldn't have said that last part. :ermm:

Lol, no. This is a Catholic Prep school. They take this pretty seriously (maybe a little too much?).
The pros actually scout the varsity teams here, although my son is only in 8th grade.

I just want him to enjoy playing, learn about teamwork and camaraderie, an derive pleasure from crushing opponents while they go home crying to their mamas. :devilish:

Wait, I shouldn't have said that last part. :ermm:

So, you want to trade the happy, happy, joy, joy of "Demolition Man" for the crush, kill, destroy of "Lost in Space"? :ROFLMAO:

Our congee. We actually used black garlic this time, had to use just roasted last time. Wow is that an intense smell! We liked it though. I liked the congee even better this time, though I think I'll do a 4-5 minute egg next time instead of 6.

BT, CG is correct, congee is becomimg an all day dish everywhere it is served.

Attachments

• 2017-08-31 18.23.54.jpg
    2017-08-31 18.23.54.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Did someone say Jook? Well, that's we call it in Hawaii anyways...
I haven't had that in, well, 10 years now, at least.

Craig, I looked up that recipe, that sounds OUTRAGEOUSLY good!
I also saw that Blue Apron has that in their rotation.

I've always used turkey rather than chicken, MMM!

Our supper will be grilled b/s Chicken Thighs, some sort of grilled veg and Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac n Cheese... kinda boring

Did someone say Jook? Well, that's we call it in Hawaii anyways...
I haven't had that in, well, 10 years now, at least.

Craig, I looked up that recipe, that sounds OUTRAGEOUSLY good!
I also saw that Blue Apron has that in their rotation.

I've always used turkey rather than chicken, MMM!

Our supper will be grilled b/s Chicken Thighs, some sort of grilled veg and Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac n Cheese... kinda boring

That's where I got the recipe. I used 1/2 tsp of the spices, except for the cayenne that was 1/4, though if you want more heat, use the 1/2. I'm sure Craig would have appreciated it. I also added a bit of water to the palm sugar cause a lot of people complained about it burning. I also cooked the sugar on med until it was all melted, then turned up the heat.

I've been on a dumpling kick lately...hadn't had them in years so I made some chicken and dumplings last week and tonight I had beef stew and dumplings. Found a recipe on allrecipes.com that was eggless and made the most light and tender dumplings I had ever had. My son now hears the word dumpling and he is at the table and up for seconds...

That's where I got the recipe. I used 1/2 tsp of the spices, except for the cayenne that was 1/4, though if you want more heat, use the 1/2. I'm sure Craig would have appreciated it. I also added a bit of water to the palm sugar cause a lot of people complained about it burning. I also cooked the sugar on med until it was all melted, then turned up the heat.

med, I thought the spices were very unusual, at least to the way that I make Jook, Chook or Congee, which ever you want to call it.

Now I'm hoping that it cools off soon so that I can make this:
https://www.foodland.com/recipe/turkey-jook-pork-hash-and-manoa-lettuce

That looks good too, but I'd encourage you to try this. Tom Collichio (sp?) Told her this was the best he'd ever had. which is why I went looking for it. The spice blend still.needs to be played with since Blue Apron sends it as a blend. It was a tiny bit sweet, but upping the cayenne would take care of that, maybe adding a bit more black vinegar too. We hadn't found the powdered galangal and lemon grass last time, but did find it when we found the black garlic, which I will definitely find more uses for. That stuff is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom