Thursday's Dinner - 6/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Inspired by Ginny's Dinner yesterday...

Country-Fried Steak, Mashed with Gravy,
Steamed Asparagus...

Steak, Country-Fried 6-16-22.jpg

LOL, LT!! That's one of my favorite things about DC and the Today's Menu treads! Inspiration!

I'm thinking Kielbasa today. I've got a head of red cabbage and some apples and onions...and time enough to cook same...and maybe some fingerling potatoes to go with that. Unless someone comes up with something else that inspires me?

I'm probably too late, Ginny, but I suggest Clopski Posilak. It's a Polish peasant cabbage and sausage recipe that is mainly potatoes, bacon, onions, and kielbasa. The full recipe involves more ingredients like leeks, a dribble of white wine, and juniper berries. I make it with the four ingredients and never have leftovers.

We're having the leftover Coquilles St Jacques with a bit of broccoli and nuked Russet potatoes. Caesar salad before (with fresh made croutons) and homemade strawberry ice cream after.

I'm probably too late, Ginny, but I suggest Clopski Posilak. It's a Polish peasant cabbage and sausage recipe that is mainly potatoes, bacon, onions, and kielbasa. The full recipe involves more ingredients like leeks, a dribble of white wine, and juniper berries. I make it with the four ingredients and never have leftovers.

We're having the leftover Coquilles St Jacques with a bit of broccoli and nuked Russet potatoes. Caesar salad before (with fresh made croutons) and homemade strawberry ice cream after.

Both sound very good, CG! But yes, it is about 8 minutes to Rotkohl. I'll look for your recipe too though! Next time!

Thanks!

We were going to have leftover pizzas. (There was an oops with the delivery earlier this week. We got our supper twice.) But, we had some serious thunderstorms and the power went out just as I was about to go downstairs and start reheating those pizzas. We decided to order out, since we have an electric stove and I was going to use an electric skillet to reheat the pizza. If it hadn't been raining hard, with thunder and lightning, we would have considered using the gas grill. Anyhoo, we ordered hamburgers. It was the simplest, since DoorDash stores your most recent orders and you can just reorder the same. Our wifi was out, so DH had to use his tablet and mobile data to order. It was completely different to what he was used to, so keeping it simple was very nice. The burgers were delicious. I guess a lot of people were out of power, because they were estimating an hour for delivery, when it usually only takes half an hour.

I had a dentist appt today, so for dinner, I had breakfast. Oatmeal, broccoli, fresh chopped garlic, miso. Satisfying.

mr bliss had vegan turkey sandwiches with gravy (tomatoes, lettuce).

Cheese and potato blintzes (sour cream and apple sauce on the side).

cheese_potato_blintz__061622_img_9730-jpg.50719

Strawberries and cream blintz for dessert (sour cream, cream cheese, honey, and fresh strawberries).

strawberry_-cream_blintz_061622_1_img_9734-jpg.50720

strawberry_-cream_blintz_061622_2_img_9735-jpg.50721

I made a Hawaiian volcano meatloaf with a somewhat fusion sauce int the crater., and spilling over the sides. Veggies were raw baby carrots, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, and sweet gherkins. Starch was broken spaghetti noodles mixed with broken rice noodles, boiled in water mixed with Hoison sauce, garlic, and onion.

The lava was a mix of blended crasins, garlic, a quarter onion, a touuch of 5 spice, ginger, Hoison, and fig jelly, boiled with a cup of water, and reduced to a medium yhick sauce. Desert, moosetracks ice cream with caramel, and vanilla hardshell..

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I made a small batch of refried beans, using Peruano beans instead of pinto or black beans.

So creamy that these will be repeated, often.

Anyway, made taco meat, cut up some veggies and we had tostada's. With beer.

Chocolate pudding was dessert.

Ross
IMG_20220616_130444254.jpg

I made a small batch of refried beans, using Peruano beans instead of pinto or black beans.

So creamy that these will be repeated, often.

Anyway, made taco meat, cut up some veggies and we had tostada's. With beer.

Chocolate pudding was dessert.

Ross
View attachment 52215
Looks wonderful JC. Are Peruano beans also called canary or great northern? When I google that's what comes up. I will try that.

Last edited:
Looks wonderful JC. Are Peruano beans also called canary or great northern? When I google that's what comes up. I will try that.

Yes. They are known by many names.

From Google.. "Commonly known as Peruvian (Peruano), canary (canario) or Mexican yellow beans, Mayocoba beans are medium-sized, oval-shaped and pale yellow."

The result is creamy, mild tasting refried beans, enhanced with Mexican oregano, cumin, white onion, garlic and a savory broth. I used Better Than Bullion roasted garlic base.

Truthfully, the best I have made. :yum:

Ross

Peruano, Canary or Mayocoba are all the same bean, as I understand it. I find them at Walmart as Mayocoba. I often use half Pinto and half Mayocoba for my Fat-Free Refried Beans. They do add a creaminess to the dish.

lol, lt!! That's one of my favorite things about dc and the today's menu treads! Inspiration!

I'm thinking kielbasa today. I've got a head of red cabbage and some apples and onions...and time enough to cook same...and maybe some fingerling potatoes to go with that. Unless someone comes up with something else that inspires me?

IMG_6552 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom