TN - Memphis ... BBQ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mizelvira

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and had already written an article on Memphis barbecue. Has a bit about barbecue in general and specifically about my favorite restaurant, The Rendevous!
Anyone who comes to Memphis, TN absolutely Must visit it once at least. But make sure you get there before the big dinner crouds, cause it really fills up!:pig: fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rendezvous is a Memphis landmark. I prefer Corky's myself. Interstate BBQand Neely's (same owners, I think) are also mentioned often by foodies - did you check them out, mizelvira?

I live in Memphis and some of the best BBQ is from small joints like central BBQ and the BBQ shop. The neely's are great also. Mudbug, neely's and interstate are owned by the neely bros. they are located nesxt to each other and are in competition, one specializ3es in dry ribs, one in wet ribs, they are Awesome. The original Corky's on Poplar ave. is the best, I've heard some bad things about the franchised locations, but the original is the best. The pitmaster, Robert Moye has been there for years and is there EVERYDAY without exception. Memphis IS BBQ!!!!!

Chef_Jimmy said:
some of the best BBQ is from small joints like central BBQ and the BBQ shop.

I agree Chef Jimmy. The best ribs I had while living in Chicago were from a little hole in the wall joint near the projects (public housing) on the north side.

The original Corky's on Poplar ave. is the best

Yep, that's the one.

The place I loved was down the road from Graceland, on the other side of the street. Hubby and I were trying to remember the name of it! It was almost in Mississippi (might have actually been in MS). Yummm. One of our great experiences was going to a grocery store in the same neck of the woods and finding that there was an entire section -- larger than most grocery stores' entire meat dept -- of nothing but different types of ribs. AND eating "Luciles". Oh, and sitting on a rooftop terrace listening to blues being played in the park on a Sunday afternoon.

Battered and deep fried thin sliced dill pickles. Tastes a lot better than you'd imagine (especially when they are hot out of the fryer). BB Kings.

Lucille is the name of BB's guitar. Fried pickles are the shiznit. I'm not a pickle person, but fried pickle slices are awesome, especially with some cajun mayo..mmm.

Well, the lyrics of the song say, "Nothing could be finer than to be in Caroliner in the mooooorning ..." but it's really a toss-up between Bourbon Street Jazz in New Orleans with gumbo and copious libations - and Memphis' Beale Street - Blues - and BBQ!!! And, if you should ever happen to be so fortunate as to go into a little joint where BB shows up to just jam ... and he get's into the LONG version of, "The Thrill is Gone" .....

I agree .... you can have chains that all use the same design of smoker, and same recipe, but the pitmaster is what makes it unique! This is the ultimate in cookery artistry!!!

Last edited:
I've eat, drunk, and made merry (meaning listening to jazz) in both NO and Memphis. Why choose? Have it all! Also Cajun dances in Lafayette. Polka'd across half the world. Eaten everything edible. Now I'm in the midwest. Yesterday was eating brats, drinking beer (and I don't like beer much), and dancing to two different bands at a street party, followed up by one drink to hear a friend who's a torch singer at a local wine bar. Still managed the 200+ stairs to home. My calves are sore!!!

When does the Memphis in May BBQ Cookoff take place in 2007? What dates?Before or after the W.C. Handy Blues Awards?

MIM BBQfest is the third week in May every year(17-19 next May) Musicfest is the first week and the sunset symphony is the fourth week.
May rocks in Memphis! Come on down South for some good blues and the best BBQ in the world!

BB played at our Homecoming dance at U of Tenn in 1971. He was very well known back then but certainly not the superstar that he became.

It was a fine performance. :ROFLMAO:

mudbug said:
The Rendezvous is a Memphis landmark. I prefer Corky's myself.

If every corporate luncheon you ever had to attend was catered by Corky's you'd soon get sick of it! We called it being "Corky'd Out" :pig: The ribs are better than the pulled pork, marginally. The beans they serve as a side dish taste exactly like canned Trappey's brand with jalapenos.

I have a friend who is on a BBQ team that competes at Memphis in May. Her team is known as the Parrothead Porkers. (Yes, they are Jimmy Buffet fans!) They are already getting ready for MIM 2007 (May 4-6 in Tom Lee park by the Mississippi River). It takes months and months of planning to pull off one of those huge contests.

NOTE: You have to know someone who is in the contest and be invited into a booth in order to eat BBQ. It's against health regulations for them to hand out samples or to even sell it. A lot of people attend the contest mistakenly thinking they can get BBQ. It's a bit disturbing to walk around Tom Lee Park smelling all that great food without being able to taste any of it.

I remember when Gridley's used to be the spot for ribs in Memphis if you didn't want to go all the way downtown and stand in line to get into The Rendezvous.

Fraidy

I'm Surprised! So many Memphis Folks!

Speaking of a small world! I've lived in and around Memphis for 33 years. Reading so many replies from people saying they live in Memphis is a tad surprising to say the least! :chef:

Fraidy

Chef_Jimmy said:
Gridley's...on Summer Ave! Fraidknot...remember the Pig and Whistle?

I never ate at The Pig & Whistle but I remember hearing about it. There was a Gridley's on Winchester at one point, too. Not sure if it's still there.

Corky's sells a Pig Print Bow Tie as a novelty item-for about $35! If anyone ever sees one in a thrift store for $10 or so I'd love one. It would be just the thing for when the wife makes me wear a Tux to one of her Corporate events in Michigan. Be on the lookout for one, OK? Thanks, Paul

Back
Top Bottom