Today's dinner, 31st October 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had black beans & kale sauteed with a little tamari & cumin served with steamed broccoli and a few cherry tomatoes.

Baja Beef 'n' Beans that was in the freezer, some Fritos to go with. Has to be quick because of our local ghosties and goblins. We live about .3 of a mile from downtown (don't get excited), so we'll have plenty of children. Fortunately it's warm enough to sit on the front porch to hand out candy.

We had our [Halloween] Fall Festival at church tonight, so I had hot dogs and potato chips tonight, with a piece of cake for dessert. I was hoping to win the German Chocolate cake in the cake walk, but the church treasurer won it. I did at least win something--I was the very last to win, and I got a plate of oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm eating one now and will save the rest in the freezer until James comes home Friday.

:) Barbara

Do they dress up in costumes? How is it that you have candy to give out and kids come around to collect it, and yet you don't celebrate Halloween? ;)
Just about all of the kids dressed up but most weren't full on. Some had funny coloured hair but with their school uniforms still on! The little kids were the cutest cos they end up with something drawn on their face and a cape and that's about it. Fairies and pirates were it for the little ones.

I live in a street littered with kids and yet we have under seventy houses! The first year they came around - only a few - I only had stationery items to give out and they all looked so disappointed but I just wasn't expecting it. Since then I have always made the effort to buy some wrapped chocolates or sweets, just in case. I just make sure I buy ones that I don't mind eating. One year I over bought and, not being much of a sweet or chocolate eater, I still had a lot left over at the next Halloween!!

The way I see it, for under twenty bucks, I make a lot of kids very happy. Not much of an ask really.

We actually had bacon and tomato sandwiches. I can't get over how long these Beefsteak tomatoes have lasted. We've had a couple of light frosts, but the plants are up in cages, so it didn't bother them, and they're still green and blooming.

We had our traditional Halloween dinner of pizza, doughnuts, & cider. I picked up a plain cheese pizza at are local Wal-Mart (they're very good - lots of cheese, thin NY-type crispy crust) & topped it myself: thin-sliced fresh tomatoes over all, then half turkey pepperoni/half sauteed sliced baby Portabello mushrooms for husband; & half anchovies/half thinly sliced Vidalia onion for me. Sprinkled extra shredded "Italian 5-Cheese Mix" (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, Provolone, & Fontina) over the top.

Dunkin Doughnuts & cider for dessert, along with watching the Turner Classic Movies classic horror movie marathon.

Dinner for my hubby who had to work :

The onigiri (which he squished right before taking the picture
cry.gif
) have salmon and wasabi-cream cheese in the middle, above is rice vermicelli with mixed vegetables and some seasoning sauce, and the brown stuff is chocolate-mint pudding. I had so many other cool ideas, but the grocery store didn't have half of the stuff on my list : c I was going to make a pumpkin out of a peeled mandarin orange with a green star-shaped candy (sprinkles for cake icing) on top, but the oranges at the store looked disgusting... and a couple other things that I can't remember now. The bats are made of nori and the ghosts are swiss cheese... probably obvious. I was trying to think of a black vegetable to mix with the carrots, but I couldn't think of anything ;o)

Back
Top Bottom