Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice carrots, which variety are those ?
That's Shinkuroda, which is supposed to be a shorter, but not a super stubby variety - around 5" or so, which is what I was looking for, in those beds, since they were started out with sort of a hugelkutur method, so there's not a real deep soil, though it's getting deeper with each year.

The one I tasted was very good - sweet, with a strong carrot flavor, but not an unusual flavor, like some I've had.

Tomatoes are starting to show up! This is the most I have gotten in one day, so far. And Sunrise is starting to ripen - didn't pick any, but soon I won't be able to keep up with them! And I noticed the first non-cherry tomato to start ripening - Marion - and I knocked it off by accident. Would have left it a few more days. Tropical Sunset is ripening, and that darkest one hasn't really gotten darker, while the other three started ripening - I'll watch them together, and see how much darker any get.
Most in one day yet! 6-30. Top 4 the first Tropical Sunset, center one Marion, and the rest Sunsugar and Yellow Warren. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A few more okra, to, but that Nirmal is still the only green, and I'm getting more from 3 than 6 of the red Little Lucy.
Getting more from 3 Normal than 6 Little Lucy. 6-30 is still less than 60 days, so it's early. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pretty soon will be that time of year I nearly become a vegetarian, with all this food coming in!

Last edited:
Looks like your aa few weeks ahead of my. I have one sungold variety that should be ripe by the time I get home from work, and my okra hasn't even flowered yet. Stringbeans should be pickable this weekend, and cukes are ramping up to high gear ( already made 6 quarts of pickles, probably another two tonight.

I picked that first Sunrise today, and sampled it next to the Tropical Sunset, which is slightly larger. Both were delicious, but if I had to pick a better one, the Tropical Sunset had a slightly stronger flavor. The Tropical Sunset definitely had a thicker skin, though not too thick, and I had no problem chewing it up.
First Sunrise ripened, 7-1, the smallest one, next to the 4 Tropical Sunsets. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I picked another WS 58, and the first Sambar cucumber, which didn't seem like it had grown any more in 3 days, which is why I picked it. The seeds were barely growing, so next time I'll leave it longer; maybe it will grow more, or get more round, and might turn yellow.
The second Wisconsin 58 - the largest one - 7-1, with the first Sambar, only 3 inches. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's that first Sambar cucumber, seeds not at all developed. Made just over a half cup, diced up. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First tomato (sungold ) Picked and eaten yesterday.
Also had a surprise in my Wine Cap Mushroom bed. Checked the day before, nothing. Next day, a large bowl full of mushrooms. Its amazing how quick they grow under the right conditions. Funny thing is, they were growing outside the bed. I think they like the moisture under the wooden border. washed them, debugged them ( which is one thing I hate about throwing mushrooms out doors, is the insects that make their way into the gils) and into the dehydrator they go for later use. This is my second flush of mushrooms from this bed ( Probably closet to 3 pounds all together). Not sure if, or how many more ill get from this bed this season, but I have another I made this spring and expect it to produce comes fall.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.21.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.21.01 AM.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.21.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.21.11 AM.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.22.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 4.22.50 AM.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 12
I found some more ripening that I was not expecting this early - that Brandyboy F2, and that Oaxacan Jewel, which is the only other PL variety I have, and definitely not an early variety. And that Green Grape is starting to ripen; I picked two, and I'll wait to see how golden they get. They are not at all grape shaped, despite the name.
Brandyboy F2 ripening on 7-3! Was not expecting this, even though it was the first non cherry to bloom. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Oaxacan Jewel also ripening on 7-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Green Grape beginning to ripen on 7-3. Not at all Grape shaped! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Two Brandyboy F2, and two Green Grapes, starting to ripen, 7-3. The Brandyboys are 11 and 9.30 oz. by pepperhead212, on FlickrV

And more eggplants, with even more, to be picked soon.
2 String and 3 Ichiban eggplants, 7-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Beans have tons of flowers - looking forward to a bumber crop there! Peas are just starting to flower. Saw a tiny flower on one of the eggplants!

Worried when I read one of your posts on water and garlic so pulled one the other day. It was fine but mentioned to my son we should only water them every third day from now on.

The beans are ones I saved from last year. I had dried and kept them separate until I went to plant them. Tripped and dropped the yellow into the green. Have no idea what I will get.

Worried when I read one of your posts on water and garlic so pulled one the other day. It was fine but mentioned to my son we should only water them every third day from now on.

Its always been a tradition for us to pick our garlic on Jully 4th ( after the hot dog eating contest, of course). That is why I kinda dropped my guard the past few years. I probably could have even picked my garlic 1 week earlier , as about 1/3 were starting to split, but at a least I didnt lose any to water damage this year.

Today got more cukes and made pickles, More wine cap mushrooms, about t1 quart of string beans, 2 quarts of red currants, snacked on the blue berries ( and one sun gold tomato). The ' 4th of July ' tomatoes will probably be ready on the 6th or 7th. Also ate one shishito pepper.

Also picked about 1/2 my Red Norland potatoes, as the tops were dying off. The Yukon gold and russet still look relatively healthy.

Saw my first Okra flower today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.12.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.12.40 PM.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.12.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.12.51 PM.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.13.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.13.20 PM.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.13.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.13.26 PM.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 14
I got 4 of the Behold eggplants - only got one before, and these were all about the same size, between 4.3 to 4.9 oz. They are similar the Listada de Gandia that I grew only once, since they were not very large or productive, compared to others at the time. This plant looks very productive, and the largest of the eggplants this year. I'll see how heat will affect it, compared to others - I've gotten some 90+ days, but not enough in a row to stop the blossoming, as happens with many varieties of eggplants I've grown, like with tomatoes.
Things harvested on 7-4 - a WS 58 cuke, 4 Behold eggplants, and a bunch of different types of tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Behold eggplant, with 4 full sized fruits, and at least a dozen other sized, and more flowers. 7-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Hari eggplant, over 10 inches, and several more fruits, and a number more flowers. 7-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

questions, questions, questions for all

Pepper, I know I've asked you this before but can't find the post, lol, too far back.
What is the white on your plants? Do you apply it wet or dry?
How often do you apply?

Do you water every night? what effect on the above?

I finally managed to get some DE, but it's sitting in the garage while I sit on the fence trying to decide how best to go about using it.

When you do water is it from above or ground level. Meaning I break my back trying to make sure I water under the solid blanket of leaves on both the peas, potatoes and the beans. I'm afraid with the bush beans the weight of the spraying water will damage flowers and branches.

But some of the other plants are too far spread out to spray just under them. I also water every night (unless too cool or raining) so that would mean I would have to re-apply every morning?

Curious minds need to know!

dragnlaw, That white powder you see on almost everything in my photos is Surround - a brand of kaolin clay that is totally harmless for food crops (it's the kao in Kaopectate!), and is not something that kills the insects, but most of them don't like the feel of it, so they stay off of it. And something else good about it is that it doesn't wash off easily in a light rain, like with DE. And even in heavy rains, the powder on the undersides of the leaves stays on well - the best place to cover, since that's where insects congregate, as a rule. I start early with eggplants (for flea beetles) and okra (for aphids), making sure I get underneath. Cucumbers are another thing it works great for, for all those beetles that are attracted to them.

I keep one sprayer dedicated to just surround, with some potassium bicarbonate added, as a fungus prophylactic. Early on I might spray the faster growing things twice a week, but just the new growth, as it appears, unless it was washed off with a storm. It lasts a long time; even later on, with larger plants, it only takes a half gallon or so to do this once a week, on the new growth, and it goes fairly fast. I learned early on that it can clog the sprayer, so when I fill the sprayer I have a fine SS strainer that I put the powder in (along with the potassium bicarbonate) and wash it through - usually a half cup or so at a time - and I don't have any problems, even after it sits until next time, and settles in the bottom. Just shake it up, and ready to go!

The surround was not cheap, the first time I got it, being in only 5 lb bags, but later I got a deal on a 25 lb bag for less than twice as much! And it lasted me at least 7 or 8 years. I just opened my second 25 lb bag - I fill a 4 gal container with it, and it looks like it will fill it almost 2 more times. I marked it with a date, to see how long this does last!

As for watering, it depends on what plants how often, but all are done with drip emitters, on timers, so water doesn't get on the leaves, and will not wash the surround off at all.

I am taking my hydroponics setup down today, as I have enough basil outside now, and I always have to do this to clean it out. I harvested the last of the chard from it - it would have kept growing! I also got a few more tomatoes ripening, including the first black ones - Nyagous.
Two Nyagous and one Brandyboy F2, ripening, and the last chard from the hydroponics, 7-5 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thanks Pepperhead for talking about the kaolin clay spray.

DragnLaw, I use DE. Don't breath it in, be very careful about that. It works and we use it on kale and root crops, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, sprinkling it by handfuls. The problem is that rain washes it down. So it should be applied after the vegetables have been watered or rained on, and it is dry.

When I get my groceries from the produce basket place (Lufa Farms), the produce often comes with a ball of growth medium on the roots, since many of them are hydroponically grown. Sometimes I get tiny white insects. Would DE be good for that? Would sprinkling it on my growing plants and on plants as I receive them, protect from those bugs?

Edited to add, I keep many of those plants on a table near the patio door.

Last edited:
Diatomaceous Earth is effective against any insect that has an exoskeleton. This includes fleas, mites, lice, ants, millipedes, earwigs, cockroaches, silverfish, bed bugs, crickets, centipedes, pill bugs, sow bugs, most beetles, fungus gnat larvae, and some grubs.

I used DE a lot on the farm. Finally found some here at a decent price.

taxy for the amounts Bliss and I would use it comes in 20 or 25 kilo bags. But you can get it at a hardware or nursery in a small hand container for the amount you would use.

You can also mix it with water to spray but it won't be effective til it dries. But think I will do it as does Bliss. Just by handfuls around the bases.

Think I mentioned this once before - used it on the chickens for mites, etc. One girl used to do her "Shake n Bake" style chicken fluffer. Bag with DE, stuff in chicken, close bag around legs and shake.... One angry chicken but it's easier than trying to sprinkle it on them by hand and get it down to the skin! LOL

Diatomaceous Earth is effective against any insect that has an exoskeleton. This includes fleas, mites, lice, ants, millipedes, earwigs, cockroaches, silverfish, bed bugs, crickets, centipedes, pill bugs, sow bugs, most beetles, fungus gnat larvae, and some grubs.

Yes, of course. D'oh! Thanks for the reminder.

I used DE a lot on the farm. Finally found some here at a decent price.

taxy for the amounts Bliss and I would use it comes in 20 or 25 kilo bags. But you can get it at a hardware or nursery in a small hand container for the amount you would use.

You can also mix it with water to spray but it won't be effective til it dries. But think I will do it as does Bliss. Just by handfuls around the bases.

Think I mentioned this once before - used it on the chickens for mites, etc. One girl used to do her "Shake n Bake" style chicken fluffer. Bag with DE, stuff in chicken, close bag around legs and shake.... One angry chicken but it's easier than trying to sprinkle it on them by hand and get it down to the skin! LOL

I've been checking it out online. I can get a small bottle with a "puffer spout". I'll probably do that and refill that bottle if I like the way it works.

I use some DE, but mostly around the bases, or in the soil, in the top 2" or so. Just remember, it also kills beneficial insects, as well. However, I am considering doing a dusting with DE for that pest I have in thus area (hopefully not in any of your areas, but it's spreading.:mad:) - the Spotted Lanternflies. It is on my okra, cucumbers, bitter melons, and eggplants, especially bad. I have one of those rotary dusters, but definitely have to wear a mask for that, and do it when not expecting rain or wind.

I doubt I have any beneficial insects in the house. I know I have spiders (not insects), but they haven't been interested in the plants, with the exception of one who was catching those little white insects for a while.

First bottle gourd harvested today, and 2 more Sambar cucumbers, these almost round. And more tomatoes ripening, those Surrender determinate tomatoes are starting to ripen quickly. They are a tart Indian tomato, used in curries, which is why I wanted to grow it!
Surrender - a determinate tomato, starting to ripen, 7-6, about 2 inches, plus or minus a little. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

3 Oaxacan Jewels, largest only 4.9 oz. Also 2 green grapes, and 5 red grapes. 7-6 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First Bottle Gourd, 13 inches w/o stem. 2 Hari, 2 Ichiban, and one Spring EP. 2 Sambar Cucumbers, and 2 WS 58 Cucumbers. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Yesterday I cut open one of those Brandyboy F2 tomatoes, which was the best tomato I had this season, so far. It's a pink hybrid, related to Brandywine, that a friend saved seeds from the best plant she had, that lasted the longest, and the least problem with diseases. It didn't have a large core, which is good, since many large tomatoes have large, woody type cores, that get cut out. The flavor was delicious - a strong tomatoey flavor, with a long aftertaste. I also harvested the first ripe Orlov Giant Yellow, which, unfortunately, had a hole chewed in it. It was fairly large, so I cut it out, and cut it in half, showing an even smaller core - the core, and the flavor reminded me of another tomato I have this year, that I've grown previously, the Amish Gold Slicer. Not quite as strong as the Brandyboy F2, but still has a delicious, well balanced flavor, and not many seeds, as well. It was a set of free seeds from Tomatofest, and I wasn't sure if they would be heat resistant, but I tried a couple anyway. I'll see how they grow next to each other.
First Brandyboy F2 I cut into. 7-7 Definitely the best tomato of the season, so far! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Brandyboy F2 cut in half, showing a relatively small core. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Orlov Yellow Giant, 7-7. Very good, and small core, but I had to cut some out, since something chewed a hole in it by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom