Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dried green powder, add it to water to rehydrate.
Add it to soup, stew, rice, grits, smoothies.

Sprinkle on or in mashed potatoes, into polenta, use in a salad dressing, add to zucchini bread or banana bread.
If 1 T = 1 cup fresh leaves, you only need a tablespoon added to anything.

Today was an above average harvest. I picked 4 cauliflowers, 2 broccoli ( starting to get warm, so I wanted to get to them before the weather and bugs do), and to my surprise , I found aa bunch of Wine Cap mushrooms in my mushroom bed ( which I inoculated last fall). They were not there this morning, but when I went on my after dinner stroll, there they were. Its amazing how quick they grow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.13.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.13.49 PM.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.13.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.13.58 PM.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.14.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.14.06 PM.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.14.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.14.20 PM.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 16
This morning we picked more Roma tomatoes, watered the herbs (which will get harvested again tomorrow), and gave the bell peppers a good drink.

Tomorrow the Romas will go into marinara sauce for the freezer, along with the basil, parsley, and garlic.

taxy, he did say it was his 'mushroom bed', so of course the wine caps were there, just not grown up.
I was thinking of the fact that mushrooms are so much bigger than we usually consider them to be. The organism (I nearly wrote "plant", but they are no longer in the plant kingdom.) is generally quite large and sends up fruiting bodies that are responsible for reproduction. Those fruiting bodies are what we usually think of as the mushrooms. Yes, I was being a smartarse.

:LOL: I can just see it now...
Could you tell me what aisle the fruiting bodies are in?
or
Excuse sir, are the fruiting bodies on special today?

I only want the parts that are responsible for reproduction.​

Our scapes on our garlic finally shot up, and we clipped them off.
we cut off the flower head part, then the stems went into the food processor.
That was put on parchment in a thick layer and is dehydrating. Tomorrow I'll put them back into the food processor and powder them, garlic scape powder. I'll use it as I would for granulated or powdered garlic, though use twice as much.

I've been looking for the scapes too. My son laughed at me - keep lookin' they're coming now! Smarty pants.

Think that's what I'll do with them as well. Thanks!

This morning we picked more Roma tomatoes, watered the herbs (which will get harvested again tomorrow), and gave the bell peppers a good drink.

Tomorrow the Romas will go into marinara sauce for the freezer, along with the basil, parsley, and garlic.

It's tough being in Wisconsin, watching that people are harvesting and we have 2 months before we even see a tomato! Friends in alabama, harvesting zucchini and our plants are 1 inch tall. And this is the normal season for WI, we're just at the beginning.

Dragnlaw, the scape powder is a grassy garlic-y flavor.

Have the mushrooms in the dehydrator, yes, sliced while watching TV. Was thinking of going back and seeing if mushrooms still available but glad I didn't. If it takes 3 days drying they would have gone to mush.

Will pick the scapes that look like the flowers are about to burst and use those up fresh. The ones to dry will have to wait for the dehydrator to be free.

bliss - drives me crazy too, listening to Larry and others harvesting! Although in Quebec I was in a warm little nook and here in Ontario even warmer, it is still not New Jersy for growing.

Have the mushrooms in the dehydrator, yes, sliced while watching TV. Was thinking of going back and seeing if mushrooms still available but glad I didn't. If it takes 3 days drying they would have gone to mush.

Will pick the scapes that look like the flowers are about to burst and use those up fresh. The ones to dry will have to wait for the dehydrator to be free.

bliss - drives me crazy too, listening to Larry and others harvesting! Although in Quebec I was in a warm little nook and here in Ontario even warmer, it is still not New Jersy for growing.

I'm certain the scapes will hold (in the fridge or cool house) for a few days and the mushrooms won't take the whole 3 days.

Yes, I get my first tomato around July 31st and I get excited, and show people and they go, 'yeah, like we had them 3 months ago'.....we're old news, lol. I still like it here in the northern tundra of WI, lol.

I'm back now, dragnlaw, so you're going to have to listen to me talking about harvesting in Jersey! :LOL:

Speaking of skapes, I just harvested mine a few days ago.
Garlic scapes,6-16 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I've been harvesting eggplant already - 8 of them in the last few days, from String, Ichiban, and Behold, which I just used today, for my first batch of Szechwan eggplant.
First eggplant of the season, 6-9, String on L, Ichiban on R by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First Behold eggplant, next to some of the garlic from last season.6-17 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The String Chinese eggplants look almost identical to the Ichiban, even though they are lighter in color in the pictures, and skinnier. Also, they were the only two out of 8 to show a hint of seeding yet.

On 6-16 I saw the first ripe tomato - Yellow Warren, and a number more on the same plant. Yesterday Sunsugar showed its first ripe fruits. And today, they are almost totally ripened, but still the only two ripe varieties.
Sunsugars starting to ripen, 6-19. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had never done this before, but I started trimming tomatoes A LOT, trimming almost all of the suckers off, and leaving 2 main stems. Of course, I'd miss one occasionally, but for the most part, this would cause the main stems to grow more, and flower earlier, and now, ripen earlier. Before this, the earliest tomatoes I had ripen were on 6-21, and those were started on 3-20 one year, and put out under WOWs. These were started on 4-5, and put out on 5-1!

This is also something I did, trimming cucumbers, and other cucurbits, only allowing a sideshoot off off the 5th, then again from the 10th leaf nodes, while there are more vines growing at almost every leaf node. A YouTube video about this from China was posted on a garden forum, which made me start doing this.

Last edited:
I'm back now, dragnlaw, so you're going to have to listen to me talking about harvesting in Jersey! :LOL:

Welcome Back !
Todays Harvest thread wasnt the same without you.

Ive been pruning my tomatoes ( not as much as you) but more than I used to. Same with the cakes. I still get a little nervous, but I have a few ' experimental' tomatoes going in pots that I'm pruning more aggressively just to see the outcome.

I got two eggplants ($1.50 ea), four orange and 4 green cauliflower at the nurseries a while back ($5. for all). How could I resist those prices.
I will take a picture when I'm up and dressed. (it's not like the farm here, can't run around in my underwear any more- they have indecent exposure laws here).

Scapes weren't as ready as I thought but should be in a day or two. Different types maturing different rates.

Mushrooms only took 1.5 days! Went beautiful. Need to go and see if I can get more today, I hope! Powdered some - OMG like being hit with a dust storm of corn starch! LOL but smell delish! better aroma than when powdering the leeks.

Forgot to mention, like the rest of the world, our temps have been all over the place. Night before last it was in the 40's, yesterday not bad, 60's night - 78 day. Today going up to 90+ from the 60 of last night. That's a jump of 30 degrees. Oomph... tomorrow the same but maybe not quite so bad, with thunderstorms somewhere along the way.
'Nother edit... that's 32 feels like 40 celsius.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom