Tomato Soup, NoDak style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The dairy broke, but it was so good we didn't care. If looks matter, I would suggest tempering the dairy as in the recipe.

That would be a great 3 can soup recipe for the emergency shelf!

Just swap out the fresh cream for a can of evaporated milk or Trader Joe's shelf stable heavy cream in a box.

Another variation would be to swap out the canned tomatoes for a similar size jar of your favorite pasta sauce.

I need to rummage around in the pantry! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Canned milk is a great idea, AB. It might not even have to be tempered.

Last edited:
:yum: Ooooh....thanks for sharing this recipe, Dawg - I love a good tomato soup anytime of year. I have to have a grilled cheese sandwich with it.

What purpose for the tiny bit of baking soda, do you know? Just curious. :)

I have no idea about the baking soda, Cheryl. For one of the first times in my life, I actually followed a recipe! Um, well, almost.

Last edited:
Ok, I just did a quickie search - apparently a little baking soda helps neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes and helps keep the milk from curdling.

At any rate, I'm going to make this soon and follow the directions to a T - it sounds wonderful. :yum:

I am assuming fresh tomatoes will work? I have never met a tomato soup recipe I like so am anxious to try this one. I don't have any ripening tomatoes but my sister does and I am taking care of her garden for the next two weeks:brows:.

Thanks Dawg

I would think fresh tomatoes would be fine, Beth!

I just couldn't believe how good this was with cheapo Costco diced tomatoes!

You could probably even leave out the dairy. When I tasted it, the base was really good.

I can't begin to read the recipe from the picture, Dawg. Could you please, please copy it down for the rest of us?

I love tomato soup and always have all kinds of tomatoes in cans to use. I also always have evaporated and dried milk on hand.

Hurry, if you don't mind - I'm licking my chops. *drool*

Thanks Dawg! I didn't catch it before. Copied enlarged and printed.

I can see I'll have some adjustments to make, but finally, at least I have a place to start.

What fun!

What I like about this soup is apparently it's been an icon for years. It originated in Montana. Everyone seems to love it. How'd I miss it?

That recipe looks like a good one Dawg! Von's supermarket sells what they call homemade tomato soup in tubs. It's pretty darn good. They put basil in theirs.
I think they call it "Tomato Basil Bisque".

Basil would be a nice addition, Kay. Though I love it as is. Will have to work on my tempering technique, just didn't want to dirty another pot.

Back
Top Bottom