Toronto restaurant with deaf servers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's commendable the owner is giving such an opportunity to the hearing impaired along with a unique dining experience for the public. I suspect this will be a novelty that loses it's appeal quickly.

I think it's commendable the owner is giving such an opportunity to the hearing impaired along with a unique dining experience for the public. I suspect this will be a novelty that loses it's appeal quickly.
I think that depends on the food and the location. If it's the only draw, it will pale quickly.

I've come across several tea rooms and cafe run as serious businesses by local charities, usually in small towns, where the staff are all disabled. Excellent idea and in the ones I've frequented so much nicer than the places run by large businesses.

I've come across several tea rooms and cafe run as serious businesses by local charities, usually in small towns, where the staff are all disabled. Excellent idea and in the ones I've frequented so much nicer than the places run by large businesses.

In that type of setting, it would be different. With so many choices in a major city like Toronto for good eats, the novelty of having to order with sign language will wear off.

What a unique idea! Thanks for posting that. Everyone can learn much from those with disabilities and special needs.....especially respect and acceptance.

When Poo was in the first and second grade he went to the Franklin School in Tacoma. The school district was trying to intergrate disabled children into the mainstream of schooling. So starting in the first grade, all children were taught to sign as part of their education. For the older children, special classes were held. Within five years all children could sign. It was a big hit with the parents, both deaf and hearing. :angel:

Toronto is a big place, while I agree the novelty could soon wear off, there is still a large pool of potential customers to draw from. I like the fact that not only does the restaurant offer new work opportunities to the deaf, it also affords the hearing public the opportunity to learn a few words of ASL and perhaps a better understanding of the challenges of for hearing impaired living in a "hearing" world. Maybe some will decide that ASL is something they would like to learn. I say Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

As long as the food is good I think it is great!

I was planning to ask for a Toronto restaurant recommendation anyway so. I will be spending one night in Toronto on my way to North Bay and I need a dinner recommendation for dinner reasonably close to the airport but kind of casual. So would this be a good choice or something else?

Could also use a recommendation for lunch on the way to North Bay.

Interesting concept. I would try it. We could take our daughter - she took ASL for her foreign language requirement when she was in college. At the time she was working for Johnny Rockets. The first time a deaf customer walked in, the server didn't know what to do! Loverly was the grill cook and noticed some confusion just across the counter at a table. When she found out her superpower was needed, she came to the rescue! Needless to say, she felt really good she was able to help.

Like taxy said, I would think the success of "Signs" depends on the quality and value of the food. I hope it works out for them and their is some expansion of this concept.

Even if business slows from hearing customers, I bet there will be a loyal Deaf following. In my experience, the Deaf community will definitely support the restaurant. I really like this idea! Wish I had thought of it!

Judging by what they were serving in the clip it looked like a good restaurant, deaf servers or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom