Tortillas With Queso Blanco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katherine

Cook
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water 1 pkg. yeast disolve in water

Directions
1 Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening to resemble cornmeal. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
2 Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Lubricate top with oil, put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
3 Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and procceed to roll out into size and thickness you prefer.
4 Cook on top of stove over medium heat using a cast iron grill or heavy skillet until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two.
5 Keep stacked and warm inside a clean dish towel.

1 cup cheese (Monterey Jack, Asadero or Chihuahua)shredded fine
4 oz. green chiles
1/4 cup Half & Half
2 tablespoon onion, chopped fine
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 serrano pepper, chopped fine (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Put all ingredients in a double boiler and heat on medium. Cook until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally. Serve with fresh tostadas or hot flour tortillas.

Are you telling me that I am going to make my own tortillas!?!?!?!? Well, I'll give it a shot!! I did make my own hamburger buns and they were really good - I loved the yeast flavor in them.

Question - Can I store them in ziplock bags or should I wrap in plastic wrap? If I make them earlier in the day what's the best way to keep them until that night?

I'm just full of questions !!:D

(I hope you don't mind but I just made the bottom directions easier to read by starting a new paragraph - that's why it says it is edited by me)

Tortillas

when i make my own tortillas what i do not use .i saran wrap and put dough in frig.. and set out later till dough feels ready to roll.. but when iam lazy i buy already tortilla mix. WHITE WINGS.
But i add the yeast to the mix. the tortillas are always soft. so i roll all the flour recipe. and cook . what i have left over i put in zip bag and tortillas stay fresh.
mis the yeast in warm water .

Thanks Kat. I'll let you know when I make them and how they turn out. You may need to stay seated at your computer so I can ask you questions!!! LOL:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom