Total Chef Countertop Oven...Recipes? (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sage

Cook
I have a Total Chef(Christmas gift). It is an infrared heat, conduction and convection counter top oven. I just wondered if anyone here has one and if they would share their recipes. There is also Flavorwave or Nuwave; it's all quite similar. You may have seen it on infomercial.
I baked my bread and it came out perfect. I can't find recipes for this machine, so I'm experimenting. :?

Total Chef Countertop Oven

I've recently resurrected a Total Chef Countertop Oven my parents bought and only used once. The instruction manual wasn't with it and I'm trying to find recipes and how to use it. It looks to be a very basic model with no additional gadgets. Any suggestions?

Did you ever get any recipes for your Total Chef Oven? I'm looking for a copy of the manual and some basic recipes for the one I found at my parents. If you can help that would be great.

Total Chef Oven Recipes

I, also received a T.C.O. as a gift and thought the Recipe Booklet was somehow lost, or never included. I did get a manual and a xeroxed copy of same. There was also a laminated card enclosed with general cooking times that did not match the ones in the manual. After reading posts from other members, I believe a cook book has never been a part of the package. I did go to the KOOLATRON web site, and found only more devices for sale.

After experimenting for several weeks, though the literature led me to believe that the cooker was faster than a regular oven, that cooking times are very close to my aytag oven...and sometimes more. Last night, I made a 3 lb. turkey meatloaf in the T.C.O., that took 1 and 3/4 hrs. Half way through, I had to place foil over the top so it wouldn't burn. At the moment:wacko:, I'm trying to dehydrate some apple slices. We'll see how that goes.

i also have a total chef oven , i called the company koolatron,ca 1 800 265 8456 and they emailed me a recipe book and a owners manual,then just printed the off

I just picked up one of these Koolatrons at the thrift store (this is becoming somewhat of a fetish for me - "things with cords" start at five bucks and usually don't go any higher than fifteen), and though I've fiddled with it a little, I've got a more serious question now.

Has anyone used it (or one like it) for proofing dough? We're having burgers tonight and I don't feel like driving into town to get buns, so I'm making dough in the breadmaker and figure I should be able to shape the buns and proof them in the convection oven with a pan of water beneath (it came with an extra rack and riser). Looks like it'll hold the temperature at around 100F. My only concern is that the buns may dry out thanks to the warm air circulating from the top, but I should be able to mitigate that with a coat of oil.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I just picked up one of these Koolatrons at the thrift store (this is becoming somewhat of a fetish for me - "things with cords" start at five bucks and usually don't go any higher than fifteen), and though I've fiddled with it a little, I've got a more serious question now.

Has anyone used it (or one like it) for proofing dough? We're having burgers tonight and I don't feel like driving into town to get buns, so I'm making dough in the breadmaker and figure I should be able to shape the buns and proof them in the convection oven with a pan of water beneath (it came with an extra rack and riser). Looks like it'll hold the temperature at around 100F. My only concern is that the buns may dry out thanks to the warm air circulating from the top, but I should be able to mitigate that with a coat of oil.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Can't help you with this query but I was curious so I googled it. When I saw the pictures I thought I'd tell my fellow Brits that the Koolatron is the same thing as the Remoska which Lakeland sell. (They'll know what all that means!0

I have proved dough in the microwave on the defrost setting when I've been in a hurry. It was OK IIRC but I haven't done it for years and I can't remember how long it took.

Last edited:
I would have assumed that the microwaves would kill the yeast.
I think it just depends on the temperature it gets to.

My current microwave doesn't have "defrost" setting. It has "turbo defrost" which goes by weight and it goes at full power for some of the time.

A previous microwave with power settings 1-10 had instructions that said to use 3 for defrosting. If I were to try proofing in the microwave, I would set it for a few minutes at power level 3 and feel how warm the dough got. Then repeat until it got warm enough that I didn't want it warmer or it had risen sufficiently.

When I want to make bread, the very first thing I do is turn the light on in the oven. By the time I have mixed and kneaded the dough enough, the oven is warm enough to put the dough in for it to proof. Of course you have to have an oven with a light to do this. :angel:

I ussed to proof my bread dough in the microwave as my preferred method. But what I did was bring a shallow bowl of water to a boil in the microwave, then set the bowl that contained the dough on top of the bowl with the water, close the door, and let it all sit for 40 minutes or so. That worked great. The dough always rose perfectly.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I ussed to proof my bread dough in the microwave as my preferred method. But what I did was bring a shallow bowl of water to a boil in the microwave, then set the bowl that contained the dough on top of the bowl with the water, close the door, and let it all sit for 40 minutes or so. That worked great. The dough always rose perfectly.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That does sound like it would work well. How do you proof bread nowadays?

I get great rises the old fashioned way, by putting the dough in a covered bowl on the countertop. Or, depending on what bread I'm making, the final rise is en couche or in a pan or baking sheet of some sort, but still on the countertop, covered with a damp towel. In the coldest part of the winter, I might do my rise here in my computer room, because it's warmer in here than anywhere else in the house.

Here is another trick which sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it: Proofing dough in your oven

I get great rises the old fashioned way, by putting the dough in a covered bowl on the countertop. Or, depending on what bread I'm making, the final rise is en couche or in a pan or baking sheet of some sort, but still on the countertop, covered with a damp towel. In the coldest part of the winter, I might do my rise here in my computer room, because it's warmer in here than anywhere else in the house.

Here is another trick which sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it: Proofing dough in your oven
Well, I don't get great rises unless it's summer. I have considered using Stirling's office. It has four or five computers running most of the time. It's warm enough that he leaves the window partly open almost all winter.

Back
Top Bottom