Toyota Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spelling?

You are right Greg. Please do not use terms that may offend anyone.

But I do like it when someone calls me a
White Trash Hillbilly Cracker Head Honkey.
That's what I am.

Have a Great weekend!!!!!

Smoke On!!!!!!!

My wife drives a 92 Camry with 235,000 miles. She asked me when we were going to get her a new car because she has had the Toyota for so long. I told her as soon as it breaks down and can't be repaired for under a thousand dollars. She said "Great I'm never gettin' a new car!!"

Al

P.S a toyota spelled backwards is a toyota

wboggs said:
Bobberqer said:
Do they build good cars.. sure they do...but, for every 200,000 miles Japanese car story that is tossed around, the is an equivelant, US manufactured car story...
Yea since the Japanese forced the US to quit making self destructing junk vehicles; they now have to compete with quality vehicles. US didn’t make quality vehicles till they were forced to and even at that it took them a long time to come around. Does the US build quality vehicles today? Well IMO as the personality continues to the best of their ability and still compete; good enough but they are still beat by the Japanese. And I seriously doubt there's one for one 200,000 mile story.

My last 2 cars Jeep, Mercury Sable, both had over 250,000 miles on em before being totaled in cars wrecks, ( not my fault) present car, 96 Ford Windstar, 215,00 miles... just to make a point.. most people do not keep their cars like I do, they toss em for better deals, ego's, getting into a better lease, or what ever.. do you know that many many high mileage cars are sold into Mexico, and other countries around the world??? Do I also think that at the present time that Japan has the upmanship on quality, sure I do...... If our car makers had all the government subsidies as the their Japnese counterparts, they might be able to do the same, and be able to spend more money on R&D.......Don't you think that if an American Company were to build a brand spanking new factory in Japan, ( never happen btw) it would be a state of the art facility, as the Japanese now ,have here, and boast about, and use in their Advertising campaigns..??? we could sit here all day , and myopicly trade bad car stories back and forth....it happens.... 2-3,000lb chuck of steel hurling down the road at 60 miles an hour, something is going to give, somewhere, somehow, sometime... just keep in mind that there just might be cutural, political, and economic reasons for their supposed lead in the car industry at the present time.... this going back and forth about who has better cars has been going on for over 30 years that I know of...

and the Chrysler, built in Rust box in the fender, story... got me shaking my head with that one

Bobberqer said:
My last 2 cars Jeep, Mercury Sable, both had over 250,000 miles on em before being totaled in cars wrecks, ( not my fault) present car, 96 Ford Windstar, 215,00 miles... just to make a point..

Bob I'm not discounting at all what you're saying about the high miles on your cars. You may or may not have had to put much if any money into repairs to them to keep them running that long. I don't know. But I do know for a fact that the majority of the "Big Three" automakers products will need substantial repairs or motor/trans rebuilds or replacements in order to make it that far. Any car will last for as many miles as you want, as you can afford to continue to pay for in repairs. Again, maybe your vehicles were the exception and you maintained them properly!

I will say that I currently drive a '91 Toyota Pick-up (217,000 miles). It just had it's first major repair's done to it. New Head cast, valve job, and a new timing system (gears, chain, guides, tensioner).

I love the truck, but in all honesty, it can't handle the pull load that I need it to because of it's age. The guy that had it before me didn't take care of it like it should have been.

I started looking at new one's, But I'll be damned if I can afford $28,000 for a new, "mid-sized" Tacoma. Much less the $36,000 to $40,000 for a new "full-sized" Tundra.

Why buy new you ask? Because I want to know that I was the one that put every mile on that vehicle and know that all the routine maintenance was done on time and with the right stuff. Not just with what "works".

Turns out that my neighbor's good friend works at the Ford dealership.
He has a new, fully loaded F-150 XLT with the Towing Package that he'll sell me for $19,000.

Hmmm, wonder which way I'm leaning?

Don't get me wrong, I love Toyota trucks, but the price of one is out of my range and I feel that Ford does make a very solid full sized truck. Sometimes you just have to go where the deal's are.

Car's, on the other hand are a totally different story. I think that our foreign counter parts have that market locked as far as quality.

Tim

Foreign Is Better?

You guys are ALL right. Foreign cars are better though.
Remember the Yugo?
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!

CarolinaQue said:
I will say that I currently drive a '91 Toyota Pick-up (217,000 miles). It just had it's first major repair's done to it. New Head cast, valve job, and a new timing system (gears, chain, guides, tensioner).

I love the truck, but in all honesty, it can't handle the pull load that I need it to because of it's age. The guy that had it before me didn't take care of it like it should have been.

I started looking at new one's, But I'll be damned if I can afford $28,000 for a new, "mid-sized" Tacoma. Much less the $36,000 to $40,000 for a new "full-sized" Tundra.

Why buy new you ask? Because I want to know that I was the one that put every mile on that vehicle and know that all the routine maintenance was done on time and with the right stuff. Not just with what "works".

Turns out that my neighbor's good friend works at the Ford dealership.
He has a new, fully loaded F-150 XLT with the Towing Package that he'll sell me for $19,000.

Hmmm, wonder which way I'm leaning?

Don't get me wrong, I love Toyota trucks, but the price of one is out of my range and I feel that Ford does make a very solid full sized truck. Sometimes you just have to go where the deal's are.

Car's, on the other hand are a totally different story. I think that our foreign counter parts have that market locked as far as quality.

Tim

Tim you've got a good point and I feel the same way! And only bought new until recently. I bought my wife a "Toyota Certified" used 2002 Sienna 5 years ago. At the time it had 28k (comes with 100k mile warranty) on it and now has over 100k and (knock on wood) we have only done routine maintenance to it (BG Coolant, Trans, PS flushes, oil changes and brake pads). When we bought the van it was less than 1 year old and saved over $8k from what a new one cost and in reality we got a "new" van. We did the same on a Corrolla for my daughters first car, again we saved a ton o f money and got a very good car. I guess my point is, you may want to see if your Toyota Dealer sells Certified Vehicles and test them out before jumping ship! :shock:

Not sure what you need to tow, but I have an 2005 Tacoma that is a beast and will tow up to 6500lb, not bad for a mid sized truck and is HUGE inside and out compared to the old Tacomas and older Toyota PU's.

Unfortunately I think this post is taking a wrong turn by some of the comments I'm seeing. Let's not get this thread locked. Voice your opinion, but don't live in the past.

Larry Wolfe said:
Unfortunately I think this post is taking a wrong turn by some of the comments I'm seeing. Let's not get this thread locked. Voice your opinion, but don't live in the past.

And never, ever forget the past either.

Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it!

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":37xqxi24]Unfortunately I think this post is taking a wrong turn by some of the comments I'm seeing. Let's not get this thread locked. Voice your opinion, but don't live in the past.

And never, ever forget the past either.

Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it
![/quote:37xqxi24]

I agree wholeheartedly Dallas, but don't feel it has a place in this discussion about the "Quality of Vehicles" cause it's gonna take a wrong turn and you and I both know it.

Just replying to a comment made on this thread Larry! I agree though!

Just for the record we own a Toyota Avalon, a Toyota Sienna, Chevy Silverado 2500, and a Pontiac Solstice, all made in America.

Never had a problem with any of them!

1960's..???? Japanese import car failed miserbly in the United States.. Mazda in particular had to retreat back to Japan to lick their wounds with the bucket o bolts they tried to put on the market here...... Datsuns., Nissan, they all were pieces of crap... forget about making it to the end of payments, you'be lucky to get to the end of your block with them .. As they have improved, so have the American Manufacturers...Competition makes better products,,, So, if you're accusing Chrysler in particular in trying to "force" cars down the buying public's throat, it stands to reason that you could agree to those mentioned Japanese car companies tried to "force" bad cars down the throats of the buying public...

I for one am glad to see that a thread has lasted this long and no one is getting upset or wildy pissed off... I know I'm not... good dialogue and good group here, thanks

if 53 is young , then I'm happy for you to say so... as my daughter calls me an old fart...

Mazda did not even start making cars until 1960.... they started out as a cork factory. they did not come back into the US market until the 70's, same time Honda did..

Toyota and Nissan did so bad in the early 60's they actually retreanched back to Japan and thought of not entering the US car market again for at least 10 years

Izuzu came here mid 60's and flopped.. can't be any more polite than that

Subaru didn't get here until 1969

Mitsubishi didnt enter the US car market until 1971..and they built the Dodge Colt.. which I believe was , by that time, owned by Chrysler..

and the waiting lines ??? must of been very few of them, since imports of Japanese cars in the 60's were typically less than a 1,000 a year for each of em...

and back then, Japanese made,,more times than not, meant Cheap Imitation...

And when they did resurface, they all got accused of "dumping".. a term that means selling their cars for less than what they are actually made for... But they would never do that, would they ?.. :shock:

That's all I have to say on the subject of " Whose Car is better"....

Enjoy all your Wheels!!!! Happy Smoking !!!!

I'm going to start the smoker to do a rolled pork loin yum, yum good :D

Chuckwagoncook said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Chuckwagoncook said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":35fke5lg]You guys obviously haven't heard about the new KID in town! Nothing but Toyotas in this driveway! And yes before any naysayers, this new Tundra is indeed a true FULL size truck that outranks any truck in it's class!

Anyone have the popcorn emoticon available???? :shock:

Sorry Larry, I aint bustin on your Toyotas, but you say they make a true fullsize truck? Do you have a new tundra that I could hook my 35' tandem dual 20,000# GVWR trailer too, I have a load of logs I need to haul half way across the state. If Im really nice I will try not to overload the trailer with about 30,000# of Hardwood.... :D :D :D

My wife has been looking at the Nissan so called fullsized, it may be her college graduation gift... :D Biggest reason she is looking at Nissan is for the fact that her brother is a Master Nissan mechanic.

I didn't want to hijack Bubbas thread, but I just want to defend CW's post about hooking this and that up!

Hey CW I specifically said "in it's class". In otherwords put a comparable Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Nissan toe to toe with the new Tundra and then lets compare. Click Toyota Comparison it will clear up any misconception of peoples thoughts of whether the new Tundra is a true full size truck or not! [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Larry, Like I said I aint bustin on your toyotas, I was merely making a statement that toyota doesnt make a truck (YET) that can compare with the Big 3 and there diesel powerplants. I placed a few ( :D :D :D ) to let you know I was joking. If and when these so called "imports" decide to enter into the 1 ton truck class the big 3 might need to worry. So until they do I have to choose from the Big 3, and I know my choice, and thats an easy one for me.

Heck I heard the other day, its estimated that within the next 3 years Toyota may over take GM as the largest manufacture in the USA. You wanna see two totally different work ethics, take a look at how a Honda plant and a GM plant compare in production and work ethic. Night and Day difference. I can completely understand why Delphi is in financial trouble.

Toyota, Honda and Nissan all make fine vehicles. I would be lying if I told you they didnt. Only problem I have seen with Toyota in my expierence is availibility of parts, I dont mean regular maintance parts, big parts like engine blocks, you now things you need when the rod decides to come out the side of the block on your buddies 4-runner. We could not get a block thru Toyota, had to get a used one out of the yard, and thats tuff when everyone wants them, cause they cant get one either.[/quote:35fke5lg]

CW I know you were busting my b*lls, I was busting back! Look out in the next couple years though, I'm sure Toyota will come out with a one ton!! :D

Bobberqer said:
if 53 is young , then I'm happy for you to say so... as my daughter calls me an old fart...

Mazda did not even start making cars until 1960.... they started out as a cork factory. they did not come back into the US market until the 70's, same time Honda did..

Toyota and Nissan did so bad in the early 60's they actually retreanched back to Japan and thought of not entering the US car market again for at least 10 years

Izuzu came here mid 60's and flopped.. can't be any more polite than that

Subaru didn't get here until 1969

Mitsubishi didnt enter the US car market until 1971..and they built the Dodge Colt.. which I believe was , by that time, owned by Chrysler..

and the waiting lines ??? must of been very few of them, since imports of Japanese cars in the 60's were typically less than a 1,000 a year for each of em...

and back then, Japanese made,,more times than not, meant Cheap Imitation...

And when they did resurface, they all got accused of "dumping".. a term that means selling their cars for less than what they are actually made for... But they would never do that, would they ?.. :shock:

That's all I have to say on the subject of " Whose Car is better"....

Enjoy all your Wheels!!!! Happy Smoking !!!!

I'm going to start the smoker to do a rolled pork loin yum, yum good :D

[smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

[smilie=a_goodjob.gif] :mrgreen:

VERY WELL said...and Very correct with your information!!!!!!

Not a Union worker... never have been ... have been involved with international trade for most of my adult life... and to this day, I still know people who continue to do it... so much of my info is current, and up to date....and for your info I worked for a Japanese company for 7 years...So I do know "from whenst they come".. as the saying goes.. Japan is one of the most controlled societies, out side of Signapore nad Mainland China that their is in this world...............and this comment >>People have believed things much farther from the truth.<<< not sure where you're coming from with that, or where you like it to go, but I aint taking the bait.... nuff said... check out my facts,, they are real, true, and documented.. I take it you have something to do with the Japaneses car business... if you do, then you know the Japanese cartel system "keiretsu" that allows Japaneses to sell products for less than they sell them in their own country with support from their other members; partners in crime , to the real world.....oh, but then I would be a racist by sayinfg that...( favorite cry from any Japanesses who hears that from a round eye).. I guess Keiretsus are ok if you are on the recieving end of the profits...

My truck is a Ford. My fantasy is 3 Japanese hot women serving me butts and brisket. yep, just got home been drinking beer all day and of all things, Jim Beam. Rough. 8 Foot tall and bullet proof! Bring it!And I can type. Amazing!

ok, some posts have been deleted here by me.
Once again, keep it respectable, cause this here
is gonna be a respectable town, says me.

don't make me take the bullet out of my pocket and
load up ol' Rosco.

Back
Top Bottom