Trader Joe's - Whole Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw, goodfood, maybe it's been a while since you've been in a Walmart, but their produce section is large and pretty nice.

Couple of years - and I'm sure they vary by location.

Off the top of my head I think of peanut butter with only peanuts, no-sugar TJ mayo, wild rice, maple syrup - among many products I could never think of finding in WM. Could find in WF but at double prices.

WM good for work pants, underwear, socks, shoes, etc. - but I don't eat those.

I don't feel that I need TJ or Whole Foods. The food I buy at my Market Basket is brought in fresh every day. As a rule Spike and I try to shop there as soon as they open. There is always a huge Semi truck backed up at the unloading dock and another waiting its turn. And this happens every day. You ask any employee for help or where a certain item is located, they not only tell you where it is, but will go and get it for you. My only complaint is that the store is so huge. If I didn't have Spike to help me, it could easily take me more than an hour to do my monthly shopping. The only two aisles of their 36 ones I don't even go into are the ones for chips and snacks and the soda, drink aisle.

At checkout, there is a bagger for every single one. There is a bagger when it is slow, whose main job is to wheel your full cart out to your car. And he also helps you unload it into your car.

There are reasons Market Basket is taking customers away from the other two big grocery stores in New England. Their aisles are always full, and they have a full staff that is constantly stocking the shelves. Their produce is always fresh. A fast turnover on those item. Their help is so polite and all are bilingual. And they do have the lowest prices around.

So I don't need TJ's or Whole Foods. I don't need to impress anyone with the food I buy. And I am able to buy twice the amount at MB than I would at the other two stores.

I've never been to a Whole Foods store but I would like to pay them a visit.

I have a Trader Joe's within five miles of my home and I do go in and shop from time to time. I consider the money that I spend in Trader Joe's to be more in the category of entertainment than food. I just get a kick out of the store and it's interesting offerings.

Have found the TJ '2 dollar a bottle' wine to be perfectly OK. I am sure I am now kicked out of any Wine Connoisseur club but don't have a gold-plated WC either.

It's interesting that people are loyal to a particular food store or won't patronize another. I'm lucky in that within a 5 mile radius I have just about everything imaginable, except a Whole Foods. Five supermarkets, two specialty seafood stores, Walmarts, a Super Target, Trader Joes, a really good produce market, a meat market, an Asian market, an Italian market, etc. I regularly patronize a number of them, as each has items / prices different from others. If I leave the house I'll pass at least one of the supermarkets, and if I don't start the car, there's always the bike.

But back on Trader Joes, I think they are unique in a lot of ways. For the items they carry, the quality and prices are typically quite good. They carry some items not easy to find elsewhere. Their wines are usually rated very good at their price point. The cheese selection is terrific. Their cut flowers are the cheapest anywhere. And the staff takes happy pills before their shift starts.

I shop at both TJ and Whole Foods, not on a regular basis or for my main grocery shopping run, but to pick up certain items that I know no other local market carries. I agree that WF is pricey. These days many major grocery stores do carry a wide variety of different items to cater to almost every dietary need. But I fond TJ and WF to have a wider variety of not so recognizable brands and products to choose from. Sure it comes at a price, but its nice to have a selection to choose from, rather than being stuck with the only item a store carries that fits your needs. Being a vegetarian, I find these stores to have a different selection. That being said, most of our shopping is done at the local big chain grocer. Depending on whats on the menu, I will hit multiple other markets depending on what I may need. I love grocery shopping, so I don't mind bouncing around from store to store , as long as its an off time and I can avoid the lines and crowds.

As for 'pricey' -- I have found TJ fine for 'ingredient' iems - never but and ready or semi-ready stuffnso don't know about those.

Have found the TJ '2 dollar a bottle' wine to be perfectly OK. I am sure I am now kicked out of any Wine Connoisseur club but don't have a gold-plated WC either.

Its been quite some time since Two Buck Chuck has literally been $2

It was fine back in the day but today's version is pretty foul, IMO

I work 3 minutes away from the country's largest WF (or so it was), so I go there once in awhile. Dry beans, grain, rice, weird molecular gastronomy stuff, meat if I have to. Never fish (it sucks and is expensive) and the produce is expensive and not that great. Cheese is good but pricy. Wine and liquor is not bad.

I have maybe 4 TJ's within 5 miles and have zero use for them. There's literally nothing in them except one particular snack cracker that interests me.

Sorry to hear about wine. For me, it's often a case of it just not having anything 'wrong' - rarely ever looking for 'bouqet' etc. But if 'foull' that's another question ;)

Sorry to hear about wine. For me, it's often a case of it just not having anything 'wrong' - rarely ever looking for 'bouqet' etc. But if 'foull' that's another question ;)

I bought it to cook with a few years ago and threw it away ...

I haven't tried it since. Maybe its better...

They did have a "big" bottle of some kind of cab that we liked. It was about $10. But not worth a separate trip.

Wine I had was a bit over 2 a bottle in Calif - in '15. I've had beautiful wines in France, Italy and Spain - someone else paying - so think I know what is good - but for my pocket and tastes - I'm OK with a wine if has nothing that is bad ( I could tell you about an Algerian red they used to sell in Finland :-( )-

I also had TJ wines in Ann Arbor for 3 - and they were good enough.

It may very well be they have different 'sources' - same label.

Last edited:
So I don't need TJ's or Whole Foods. I don't need to impress anyone with the food I buy.

Hmm... I've never thought about it from that angle. But I don't think people shop at these places to impress others.

A friend I regularly invite to dinner at my home brought with her over 3 pounds of flap meat from WF yesterday for Labor Day BBQ. She shops at WF regularly so she always brings something from there every time I invite her.
But while unwrapping the butcher paper (with big WF logos printed all over..:LOL:) I noticed she paid a whopping $14.99/pound for this. And I thought to myself I've got basically the same meat sitting in my freezer which I purchased at Ralph's for $4.99/pound. Anyway, as expected, the carne asada turned out no different from any other carne asada I've done.
The $2.99/pound loin back ribs from Ralph's which I also did at the same time also turned out very good.

I shop at both TJ and Whole Foods, not on a regular basis or for my main grocery shopping run, but to pick up certain items that I know no other local market carries. I agree that WF is pricey. These days many major grocery stores do carry a wide variety of different items to cater to almost every dietary need. But I fond TJ and WF to have a wider variety of not so recognizable brands and products to choose from. Sure it comes at a price, but its nice to have a selection to choose from, rather than being stuck with the only item a store carries that fits your needs. Being a vegetarian, I find these stores to have a different selection. That being said, most of our shopping is done at the local big chain grocer. Depending on whats on the menu, I will hit multiple other markets depending on what I may need. I love grocery shopping, so I don't mind bouncing around from store to store , as long as its an off time and I can avoid the lines and crowds.

Larry, when my kids were small, I always had one in the carriage. I would put the baby in the carriage, another kid on each side holding on to the side bars of the carriage and head down the square to do my shopping. At that time it was safe to leave the baby in the carriage sleeping and park the carriage outside the store. If the baby woke up and started to cry, someone would come along, find the bottle and give it to the baby. If the baby didn't stop crying they would stick their head in the store door and yell out that a baby was crying. There was always several babies outside in their carriage. All the mothers would head out and check their infant. It was just the neighborly thing we all did. Back into the store, finish my shopping there, head for the produce store, same thing, next came the meat store, head next off to Woolworth's, etc. I loved shopping like that. All my packages would fit into the bottom of the carriage. And because my kids behaved they also knew that they could get a treat in Woolworth's when we were all done. Usually a large scoop of ice cream for each of them. They felt so important giving their order to the waitress behind the counter. And they got to sit with the grownups. On the swivel chairs.

So shopping was always a pleasant adventure for me and my kids. Whenever they are traveling down Memory Lane, they still talk about their special treat at Woolworth's.

Hmm... I've never thought about it from that angle. But I don't think people shop at these places to impress others.

A friend I regularly invite to dinner at my home brought with her over 3 pounds of flap meat from WF yesterday for Labor Day BBQ. She shops at WF regularly so she always brings something from there every time I invite her.
But while unwrapping the butcher paper (with big WF logos printed all over..:LOL:) I noticed she paid a whopping $14.99/pound for this. And I thought to myself I've got basically the same meat sitting in my freezer which I purchased at Ralph's for $4.99/pound. Anyway, as expected, the carne asada turned out no different from any other carne asada I've done.
The $2.99/pound loin back ribs from Ralph's which I also did at the same time also turned out very good.

I only shop at WF for meat if I have to buy other stuff there. Its good for the most part but WAAAY to expensive

The best meat ever is from our little butcher on the Cape. Guys like him deserve our business.

All this discussion points to what I always found -- "WF = EXORBITANT pricing." Doesn't seem compatible with AMZ - unless Bezos planning a 'revolution' of sorts.

All this discussion points to what I always found -- "WF = EXORBITANT pricing." Doesn't seem compatible with AMZ - unless Bezos planning a 'revolution' of sorts.

The revolution is well under way.

I shopped there last Thursday and prices for a lot of things had been lowered. Also lots of sale items.

I work 3 minutes away from the country's largest WF (or so it was), so I go there once in awhile. Dry beans, grain, rice, weird molecular gastronomy stuff, meat if I have to. Never fish (it sucks and is expensive) and the produce is expensive and not that great. Cheese is good but pricy. Wine and liquor is not bad.

I have maybe 4 TJ's within 5 miles and have zero use for them. There's literally nothing in them except one particular snack cracker that interests me.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

I occasionally shop at WF because it's across the street from where I work and super convenient to swing in and grab something to take home if I know there's nothing much in the fridge. However, I'll also add that if it weren't in a convenient location, I probably wouldn't shop there often. Because... well... prices. I'm hoping Amazon turns that around.

I also eat lunch at WF once or twice a week because they do have a pretty nice selection of hot foods, soups, and a salad bar -- and the price is reasonable. Certainly cheaper than eating in other restaurants around that part of town (fast food aside).

TJ's is a different story. There's one about 1/4 mile from my office, but it has more down sides than positives - at least for me. To begin with, it's really hard to get in and out of. There's one entrance for parking, and it's always clogged up because it's situated in such a way that everyone going in or out has to wait for pedestrians coming out of the store. So there's always kind of a permanent bottleneck.

I could overlook that, though, if I actually liked shopping there. But I've been there twice now, and it was the same story both times: I walk in, grab a basket, and then sort of meander about looking at things, but not putting anything in the basket. The produce and meat selections are sort of okay, but nothing I can't get at the little grocer down the street from where I live (and usually at a better price). They have a lot of jarred and canned items, but I'm not familiar with the brands - plus I just don't buy a lot of those things anyway. So then I put the basket away and leave without buying anything. Like I said, twice I've done that.

TJ's wine is ok at best. I drink wine daily, so I'll be the first to admit I'm kind of picky. I don't think I'm a snob, though, and there's a difference between that and being picky. I actually drink a lot of $10-20 wines. But what I've found with TJ's is that the quality is very inconsistent. There has been some I've liked, but others have been all over the map. The one example I can think of is with their Charles Shaw Chardonnay. I bought a bottle one time, and thought it was pretty good. Much better than you would expect for the price. So I went back a couple months later and bought 3 more bottles of the same wine. This time it was absolute crap, and nothing like the first bottle I had bought. I did use it for cooking, but it wasn't anything I enjoyed drinking.

There's a Total Wine next door to the TJ's that's close to me. They have some down sides, too, but honestly I'd rather shop there for wine.

Last edited:
Wine I had was a bit over 2 a bottle in Calif - in '15. I've had beautiful wines in France, Italy and Spain - someone else paying - so think I know what is good - but for my pocket and tastes - I'm OK with a wine if has nothing that is bad ( I could tell you about an Algerian red they used to sell in Finland :-( )-

I also had TJ wines in Ann Arbor for 3 - and they were good enough.

It may very well be they have different 'sources' - same label.

A good read. I just saw it today. Might make you think twice....

https://vinepair.com/articles/trade...=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=site

A good read. I just saw it today. Might make you think twice....

https://vinepair.com/articles/trade...=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=site

That is certainly interesting and no big surprise... The San Joaquin Valley has been producing altered wines for decades.. As a 21 year old beverage store clerk, I sold enough Gallo wines to float a battleship..

The bottom line is.. If consumers buy it and seem to like it, that's all that is really necessary for those wine brands to prosper..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom