Tread Mills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Were shopping for a new one tomorrow. It's our first.

What are the most important things that you look for when buying one? I've heard Motors. "More power the better"

I don't know anything about them.

Thank you.

Munky.

Most important thing is to actually use it. Unlike us, we have one seating in the garage for 5 years now. We got it, used it for few month and forgot about it.
Just go with what you can afford.

Thanks Charlie,

I hear you on the " Use it" we have a complete weight lifting set sitting in our garage that's never used. I can't move it to use it myself. If I ever want my car to be parked inside ever again. And I really don't want a Bo Flex body..

The Tread Mill, I have to have. Money can be worked out. If I'm going to buy one then I'd expect to pay top dollar for a good one. They don't make it easy picking one out. It's mind boggling how many that are on the market.

You "have to have" as in a medical reason? If so, maybe you can ask your doctor or physical therapist to help you sort out what you actually need in one... what to look for. I can imagine how daunting it must be with all that is out there nowadays.

The most important thing for us would have been how many clothes hangers can fit on it as ours has been relegated to an extension of our closet.

Seriously though, the things I would look for are if it is big enough. The one we have is a good size, but I hit the front edge when I run on it if it is inclined. Another thing I would pay attention to is how loud it is. We have ours downstairs and like to watch TV when we use it. It is quiet enough that we do not have to crank the volume too much. I know others out there are not as quiet so pay attention to that. Also look at what kind of programs it has. Sure you can just get on it and walk/run, but the programs help make it a little less boring. Ours has a built in fan and while that seems like a small thing it really is quite a nice feature.

You "have to have" as in a medical reason? If so, maybe you can ask your doctor or physical therapist to help you sort out what you actually need in one... what to look for. I can imagine how daunting it must be with all that is out there nowadays.

Yes medical. Circulation.
I have asked my Dr's about them. My Family Physician doesn't want me one one at all he says " Your skinny anyways!" Talk with my Cardiologist. I already had talked to him. He had no suggestions as to brands. Just that I should take it slow and work my way up. He didn't say what up meant? I'm not running a Marathon anytime soon.. Or stop before you knock yourself out.. LOL!!!

Some of them have preset workouts that incline at different levels and speed.. I just want an easy one.

Guess I really won't know until tomorrow..

That's a bummer they couldn't recommend one.

I like GB's noise level suggestion. I've been meaning to move one that I was given so I can view the TV while I use it and hadn't even thought about how loud it might be.

I have a Nordic Trak recumbent bike--much better for my bad knees than a treadmill. I like it but it has some sort of computer glitch right now--it is either no tension, or so much tension I can't push the pedals. As soon as the driveway melts a little, I am going to go look for new batteries for it.

Tread mills are one of those things you can get GREAT deals on if you buy used.....
Check out craigslist!

I have bought and sold many treadmills.

The best you can do is to get a used commercial one off craigslist.

I have bought 3-4 thousand dollar treadmills for 1-3 hundred dollars.

I would buy a Landice if you can find one.(not the 8700-just a little too old but a fine treadmill). Landice has a 400lb user rating and they are built to last.

Lifefitness would be my second choice.Stay away from all the bells and whistles those are the things that break and cost money to maintain.

Where in Cali are you? I will find one close to you that would be a good deal from CL if you want.Just let me know what area CL to look at.

Some Sole treads are good too.

By all means stay away from proform or any other dept store brand.Getting replacement parts for these is the problem.

Also stay away from the folding ones.they are conveinant but break alot more.

Here is a fitness equip forum I am on alot if you have any questions about specific treadmill or other equip.
Do some searching before posting or you might get flamed a little.They are harmless though.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Last edited:
I have a Nordic Trak recumbent bike--much better for my bad knees than a treadmill. I like it but it has some sort of computer glitch right now--it is either no tension, or so much tension I can't push the pedals. As soon as the driveway melts a little, I am going to go look for new batteries for it.

i have a golds gym recumbent bike. i bought it just to exercise legs and built up muscles in legs. works well, when i get on it. :LOL:

i don't know how old you are, but i would be careful that it isn't to much for you. no falling allowed. i bought the recumbent bike to rebuild muscles in legs. it works well for circulation as well. like dr. said, just don't fall getting on it. lol. i am 72

I have bought and sold many treadmills.

The best you can do is to get a used commercial one off craigslist.

I have bought 3-4 thousand dollar treadmills for 1-3 hundred dollars.

I would buy a Landice if you can find one.(not the 8700-just a little too old but a fine treadmill). Landice has a 400lb user rating and they are built to last.

Lifefitness would be my second choice.Stay away from all the bells and whistles those are the things that break and cost money to maintain.

Where in Cali are you? I will find one close to you that would be a good deal from CL if you want.Just let me know what area CL to look at.

Some Sole treads are good too.

By all means stay away from proform or any other dept store brand.Getting replacement parts for these is the problem.

Also stay away from the folding ones.they are conveinant but break alot more.

Here is a fitness equip forum I am on alot if you have any questions about specific treadmill or other equip.
Do some searching before posting or you might get flamed a little.They are harmless though.

Workout Equipment - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Thank you for the links. I'll just play it safe and ask questions here. Read over at that site. I liked the Landis, just not sure if I need everything that it offers. Craig's List is an idea I'll definitely check it out. Use it with caution..

Weight limit isn't an issue with me 80 Lbs isn't anything.
See why I won't join a Gym? Those Ladies at Curves might hurt me.. :LOL:

A friend of ours is selling this one. It's only been used twice. He's asking $250.00. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'll know tomorrow the specifics of what my Dr wants for my workout routine.

Munky.

My recumbent bike continues to gather dust, still don't know what I can do in the way of exercise...first cardio rehab appointment is next Tuesday.

Thank you for the links. I'll just play it safe and ask questions here. Read over at that site. I liked the Landis, just not sure if I need everything that it offers. Craig's List is an idea I'll definitely check it out. Use it with caution..

Weight limit isn't an issue with me 80 Lbs isn't anything.
See why I won't join a Gym? Those Ladies at Curves might hurt me.. :LOL:

A friend of ours is selling this one. It's only been used twice. He's asking $250.00. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'll know tomorrow the specifics of what my Dr wants for my workout routine.

Munky.

I don't like Proform at all.You could do alot better with the 250.00

I don't like Proform at all.You could do alot better with the 250.00

I knew you wouldn't like it. That was my first look at it to.
After looking at others that one looks flimsy. Cheap even.
I asked my husband about it. Now this is another thing that bothered me about it, I was unaware of. He's not the original owner of it. He got it from someone else. It's an older model. But she to supposedly only used it a few times. Really now? and I just won the Lotto.. :LOL:

I can do better and probably will.

Munky.

Used treadmills are probably among some of the best used things you can buy. So many people buy them and use them just a small handful of times before they admit to themselves they will never use it again.

I thought of another feature to look for possibly. ours folds up so that it is easier to move and takes less space when not in use. That may or may not be important to you.

Update

Well we ended up buying one at Sears. The Nordic Track C 1500 Quadflex. After trying out several that they had as floor displays. Doing some homework on replacement parts availability. This one best suited our needs.

We had them deliver and set it up. That took a while but it was done. It took 2 just to lift it. It takes up a good part of my dining room. But it's in a great spot for me to keep myself motivated to use it. It's working.

I like it it's very quiet, has a heart monitor ( that's too big for me ) I found to be useless. We still haven't figured out how to read the heart rate on the screen. If it's even accurate. I see the red heart flashing. I'm assuming it's flashing is a good sign that I'm still alive!:LOL:

I'm not allowed to lift it to fold up. I'd prefer it stays down so I can try and get a few walks in a day. My first day on it wore me out. I lasted 7 minutes. Baby setting at that! What a sad walk that was. It's getting better. Slowly built up the incline and time to 15 minutes in the morning. 15 min at night.

Even my Golden Retriever has found a use for it. Now he has something new besides me, to toss him his ball. He's figured out to place it at the front when it's on and it will roll to the back. He's even worked out the timing to fetch it. :LOL:

Thank you guys for helping me with all of the advice. It came in handy. One thing we found out that we were unaware of until we were at Sears and I asked about the floor mats and why are all the machines on one? If you have the tread mill on carpet the fibers can build up. The mats help protect the floor/ carpet, but also the motor.

Munky.

You have given me inspiration to set up the treadmill my father gave to me years ago... just to see my dogs play ball with it of course :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom